Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Best CC HQ?

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Frankenskid 
#1 ·
I really like my chaplain with thunder hammer. I know he's not the best but making his squad re-roll to hit on th echarge really helps my army out. So whats the best CC hq? Either individually ie as in dueling someone or as in the chaplain helpin out your armies

#2 ·
I like my BA chplain with dual lightning claws. Really nice if I can get the charge in and get +1 S and WS from his furious charge.

But then, my brother's daemon prince is pretty damned scary in CC. Berserker glaive, high strength, monsterous creature, mutation, feel no pain, etc. He ends up with something like 9 attacks on a charge while my chaplain maxes out at 6 on charge

#4 ·
Galahad said:
I like my BA chplain with dual lightning claws. Really nice if I can get the charge in and get +1 S and WS from his furious charge.

But then, my brother's daemon prince is pretty damned scary in CC. Berserker glaive, high strength, monsterous creature, mutation, feel no pain, etc. He ends up with something like 9 attacks on a charge while my chaplain maxes out at 6 on charge
A fair sized Death Company (8-9 + Chaplain) should be able to take him down though.

Coming in at only slightly more too - 217 standard.

#5 ·
We've run a couple 'duels'. It all comes down to who gets the charge. If my DC charge, he's toast. If Super Killguy charges, I can kiss most of my DC goodbye.

#6 ·
Your brother should drop the Berserker Glaive and give the DP wings and the Axe of Khorne. My DP has dished out as many as 12 attacks before from the Axe of Khorne. I hope to get it higher one day.

#8 ·
yeah DE archon is pretty sick, if only de could shoot as well they'd be disgusting......oh hold on they have BS 4 and can have 2 Darklances and 2 blasters per squad....Oh dear :)

#11 ·
jigplums said:
yeah DE archon is pretty sick, if only de could shoot as well they'd be disgusting......oh hold on they have BS 4 and can have 2 Darklances and 2 blasters per squad....Oh dear :)
DE are godly in the shooting department. You realise for 18 points I can have something that dishes out the equivalent hurt of 2 Storm Bolters - the Splinter Cannon.

That's the equivalent of 2 Terminators (albeit without the Assault Cannons) for 18 points! Oh and did I mention I get 2 per squad! :)

#12 ·
Archon is only good at surviving with that 2+ invulnerable. It only lasts till he fails...which a WE Daemon Prince with Axe of Khorne can make happen. Dread axe is just a guarantee.

#14 ·
It's hard to judge what's the best close combat HQ unit, since the army tends to shape what the HQ unit needs to be doing. Raw killing power probably goes to a daemon prince of Khorne or Slaanesh (as the Slaaneshi princes can have Combat Drugs, which heighten an already impressive profile), or a Dark Eldar Archon.

#16 ·
I'm leaning towards a Grey Knight Grand Master. A strength 6 Force weapon is nothing to sneeze at... terminator armor, not to mention he could be kitted out with a beautiful array of psychic powers...

I've been meaning to purchase one, cut off the stormbolter, and add a storm shield, just to make it look even more impressive.

#17 ·
good call,he is a sick puppy, the only prob usually is getting him into cc in the first place, but when he gets there he's rock

#19 ·
Abaddon. Excluding Special Characters, I think the Dark Eldar Archon with Punisher, T-Helm, Drugs, Animus Vitae, and Shadowfield and some Incubi is pretty nasty. 6 S6 power weapons at WS and I7 and 15 I5 power weapon attacks at S4 is unholy.

#20 ·
I've mentioned axe of khorne/dread axe, but he's really reluctant to give up the 4+ invul save for the glaive. Not surprising either, considering just how many times he's made a 'save or die' roll at exactly 4. He's decorating the base to commemorate every instakill weapon he's saved against on exactly 4. So far he's got a missile cut in half in mid-flight (on wires) and is working on embedding a bisected Demolisher shell into the base. ;-)

That has to be the single most frustrating aspect of that bastard.

#24 ·
My money would be either on the Nightbringer, who is HUGE in CC who is just a monster with str 10, t8 (!!!), 5 wounds, and attacks, a template attack for those in base to base that is str4 and permits no armor save, Can blow orks,and nids away at the start of their turn, and he can shoot.......
or the Khorne/WE DP. You have a guy that is WS6 usually S6, T(6), that gets 6 attacks on the charge with any 6's being another attack, a 3+/5+ invulnerable, a 4+ Feel no pain, and move 12"/Assault 6".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.