Out of the loop for 2.5 years, anything I should know about my armies? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-16, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Question Out of the loop for 2.5 years, anything I should know about my armies?

So I'll have to get new rules to even begin, but these are the armies I have:
  • Tau (My biggest collection by far, something like 120 Kroot, 80 Fire Warriors, 3 Hammerheads, 30 Stealth Suits, 18 Crisis suits, 1 sniper drone team, 30 Pathfinders, several Devilfish and a Piranha or two)
  • Some Space Marines I don't want to use (but it contains mostly 2 tac squads, 1 devastator squad, 1 vindicator, 1 land speeder typhoon, and everything from Dark Vengeance)
  • Chaos Marines, mostly Thousand Sons, a Nurgle Terminator Lord + Dark Vengeance contents which I never assembled (stopped expanding this army when I saw the price of Plaguemarines)
  • Dark Eldar (My second biggest collection, two of the old battleforces, 5 Incubi, 10 Wracks, 9 Venoms, 1 Razorwhatever jetfighter, 4 additional Kabalite boxes of which the maximum possible was built as Trueborn already, 2 extra Wych boxes. Some extremely old school special characters like Lelith, Urien, Drazhar - biggest weakness of this army is I never bought any Heavy Support for it, I loathe Ravagers and will never use them, I need a playable alternative)
  • Orks, 7 Killa Kans, 3 Dreads and 10 Deffkoptas and then warboss and a bunch o' boyz
  • Tyranids, just a huge freaking box of them, all I know is that there are 9 Raveners, which used to be my favourite model back in 3rd ed. before they updated them and destroyed their looks

This is the stuff that survived my rage-sale of a lot of 40K last time around. But now that they seem to be doing some alright things again, purely politically, I want to show support towards the correct behaviour (talking about battleforces, community site and such)

*pant* *wheeze*

What should I focus on getting ready first? I have seen new Rubric Marines, which makes me interested in Chaos, but I always wanted to run Plaguemarines but they're still prohibitively expensive. How is the Nurgle Daemon "Start collecting!" box in terms of "goodness"?
Tau: the Ghostkeel makes me moist in all sorts of places and I like the look of the formation with it since all I EVER wanted to do with Tau ever since day 1 of their existence was to make an all-stealth army. How viable is it? Does Shadowsun now allow you to take ONLY Shadowsun without having to take any additional commander tax?
Dark Eldar I obviously invested quite heavily in so I'd like to get them operative too. The problem is heavy support. Is the Voidraven usable now? What about Talos/ Cronos? I do not. I repeat, NOT use Ravagers. Absolute no-no model concept of derp that should have been axed after 3rd.

Appreciate all and any suggestions.

Edit: Oh yeah, is there anything I should know about combining Nurgle and Tzeentch too? Because that was my plan all along, all the Dark Vengeance stuff would be Nurgl'd, and then I'd add 2 squads of Thousand Sons.
Edit 2: On account of my allergy to Ravagers I remember at one point I was planning to add an Eldar allied detachment to my Dark Eldar, would that still work? I would want a Farbike, bike troops, Wraithguard to put in a Dark Eldar Raider and one of them Crimson Hunter planes?

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 12-17-16 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-16, 02:11 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
So I'll have to get new rules to even begin, but these are the armies I have:
  • Tau (My biggest collection by far, something like 120 Kroot, 80 Fire Warriors, 3 Hammerheads, 30 Stealth Suits, 18 Crisis suits, 1 sniper drone team, 30 Pathfinders, several Devilfish and a Piranha or two)
  • Some Space Marines I don't want to use (but it contains mostly 2 tac squads, 1 devastator squad, 1 vindicator, 1 land speeder typhoon, and everything from Dark Vengeance)
  • Chaos Marines, mostly Thousand Sons, a Nurgle Terminator Lord + Dark Vengeance contents which I never assembled (stopped expanding this army when I saw the price of Plaguemarines)
  • Dark Eldar (My second biggest collection, two of the old battleforces, 5 Incubi, 10 Wracks, 9 Venoms, 1 Razorwhatever jetfighter, 4 additional Kabalite boxes of which the maximum possible was built as Trueborn already, 2 extra Wych boxes. Some extremely old school special characters like Lelith, Urien, Drazhar - biggest weakness of this army is I never bought any Heavy Support for it, I loathe Ravagers and will never use them, I need a playable alternative)
  • Orks, 7 Killa Kans, 3 Dreads and 10 Deffkoptas and then warboss and a bunch o' boyz
  • Tyranids, just a huge freaking box of them, all I know is that there are 9 Raveners, which used to be my favourite model back in 3rd ed. before they updated them and destroyed their looks

Um pending how strict you are to WYSIWYG and how competitive your looking to be...

Orks are probably the least competitive codex out at the moment.

Tyranids are probably going to be bad without some semi-significant investment (flying tyrants for instance)

Space Marines are space marines, probably one of the more competitive forces since they can ally anyone else in the Imperium - aka imperial knights (super heavy walkers)

Dark Eldar are ok, I haven't seen them much at my FLGS recently enough to get a great feeling. They do require almost everything to be mounted in transports, otherwise they are just kicked of the table. Wyches are not very good.

Chaos has gotten a lot of love lately with the Traitor Legions codex, which appears to be the spiritual return of their 3.5 codex. So if you wanted to play with them, you would want to get the traitor legions codex as well.

As for the Tzeentch & Nurgle caveat, it looks like the new Tsons are impressive and Nurgle is always good - you don't really need to buy "plague marines" to run plague marines, just get some CSM boxes and either green stuff yourself some plague marines or just paint them specially.

Tau are probably the best codex of what you have. They tend to favor (duh) the Tau stuffs vs the Kroot stuffs. Everyone I know who plays them enjoys the army.

This is the stuff that survived my rage-sale of a lot of 40K last time around. But now that they seem to be doing some alright things again, purely politically, I want to show support towards the correct behaviour (talking about battleforces, community site and such)

*pant* *wheeze*

What should I focus on getting ready first? I have seen new Rubric Marines, which makes me interested in Chaos, but I always wanted to run Plaguemarines but they're still prohibitively expensive. How is the Nurgle Daemon "Start collecting!" box in terms of "goodness"?

When refering to "expensive" I assume you mean money wise - which see above, The Nurgle Demon box is nice, but I wouldn't say that it's amazing one way or another - its a good start to an army. It give you a Herald (HQ) 2 troops and a fast attack slot.

Tau: the Ghostkeel makes me moist in all sorts of places and I like the look of the formation with it since all I EVER wanted to do with Tau ever since day 1 of their existence was to make an all-stealth army. How viable is it? Does Shadowsun now allow you to take ONLY Shadowsun without having to take any additional commander tax?

I will hold off on this since I do not play tau.

Dark Eldar I obviously invested quite heavily in so I'd like to get them operative too. The problem is heavy support. Is the Voidraven usable now? What about Talos/ Cronos? I do not. I repeat, NOT use Ravagers. Absolute no-no model concept of derp that should have been axed after 3rd.

If you were going to get any Heavy Support for DE and not use Ravagers, then I would get their Fighters or 2 fighters and 1 bomber - for the Talos/Chronos the Talos is by far the better option, the problem is getting in combat as foot DE are dead DE.

Appreciate all and any suggestions.

Edit: Oh yeah, is there anything I should know about combining Nurgle and Tzeentch too? Because that was my plan all along, all the Dark Vengeance stuff would be Nurgl'd, and then I'd add 2 squads of Thousand Sons.

Edit 2: On account of my allergy to Ravagers I remember at one point I was planning to add an Eldar allied detachment to my Dark Eldar, would that still work? I would want a Farbike, bike troops, Wraithguard to put in a Dark Eldar Raider and one of them Crimson Hunter planes?
I will hold off on the DE/Eldar/Tau answers as I do not have them, and it is late and I am very tired.

Good hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-16, 07:52 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tyranids have some limited builds with flying tyrants.
The death guard got a good deal out of the legions book. Basically you pay for mark of nurgle on a unit to give said unit veterans FnP fearless relentless and -1 to initiative. So walking shooting assaulting heavy weapons galore.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-16, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I will hold off on the DE/Eldar/Tau answers as I do not have them, and it is late and I am very tired.

Good hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
Tyranids have some limited builds with flying tyrants.
The death guard got a good deal out of the legions book. Basically you pay for mark of nurgle on a unit to give said unit veterans FnP fearless relentless and -1 to initiative. So walking shooting assaulting heavy weapons galore.
Thanks for the input.

Now I'm leaning towards DE and Tau, and getting ready that small Eldar detachment to ally with both of them. Will that be decent? (Farseer on bike, bikes, 4 wraithguard + warlock in Raider transport, Crimson Hunter, maybe a few Warp Spiders)

Can both Tau and Dark Eldar still ally Eldar properly?

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-16, 08:04 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

As far as I am aware of both DE and Tau can ally Eldar, I'm not sure if the Tau/Eldar group are still "battle bros" or instead are the normal middle ground grouping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode