Competitive army list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Competitive army list

Hi all I'm back...just wondering if anyone can give me tips or guidelines to build competitive army lists please.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 03:23 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

It would help if you gave an army type, points level, and general background for your list before anyone can really comment.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 03:36 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ what he said.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I play iron warriors much toward the siege fluff and
I have 2 sets of dark vengeance
Maulerfiend
Hellbrute with lascannon and thunder hammer
2-3 rhinos
1 land raider
3 obliterators
Squad of 5 terminators
Squad of 10 marines
5 possessed
Sorcerer

1500-1850 ( the standard points mainly)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

@Mossy Toes is going to be one of the best members to seek advice from when it comes to chaos marines.

However, some of the stuff your likely going to be told, regardless of what you do or do not want, by anyone that can help you will probably include:

1. Get a different army if you want to play competitive, chaos marines are low tier (true or not someone is always going to tell you this, personally it annoys the hell out of me when they do.)

2. Get a helldrake with baleflamer

3. Give those obliterators the mark of Nurgle and take them as three groups of one

4. Take two five man squads of marines in rhinos, and probably invest in two more identical squads

5. Get another terminator and take two squads of three with combi meltas/plasmas and deep strike them

6. Take a squad or two (depending on whether your told to get one or two helldrakes) of three strong bikers with meltas or flamers

Personally, given what you have and the theme around your army, I would look to swap the hammer for a missile launcher on the dred, get ten more marines, get a unit of havocs, and consider either an allied guard detachment (I'd suggest Death Korps) or the guard artillery formation to get you some ordnance.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

What are the meta armies for this format then

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-16, 06:46 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Do one or two things very well (lots of hard hitting firepower, lots of speed, lots of choppiness in combat, very resilient units, ability to summon more units as you go, so many units you can flood the table and lock down the objectives etc.). Have means to take down the big stuff like imperial knights and wraithknights- or a high enough volume of units that you can win without having to kill them

Have answers to the various types of competitive list out there

Or just build a list with lots of points efficient units that are good at what they do, give it your best shot and have fun- win, lose or draw.

edit: Coming back to this I'll repeat something I read elsewhere about competitive 40k armies. Good tournament lists are often effective because they nullify large portions of the opponent's army. A few examples are imperial knight armies, tyranid flying monstrous creature lists and KDK flesh hound lists. Imperial knights are impervious to small arms fire so any points spent on bolters, flamers, low strength CC attacks etc. are wasted because they can't scratch high armour value knights. Tyranid flying armies can spend the game swooping around the table shooting your units while the only way to interact with them them effectively is skyfire shooting, and most likely they won't be facing armies prepared for that type of game. Khorne flesh hound lists are fast, good in close combat and can scout up all their doggies and charge you very early in the game, and you can't shoot them or move if they've trapped your shooting units in combats they aren't going to win

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!

Last edited by Squire; 07-22-16 at 07:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode