Why bother with the new 40k Deathwatch? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Why bother with the new 40k Deathwatch?

So for those that haven't seen the rules yet... click here.

I need some help trying to figure out the point to these guys.

Squad Donatus: Assuming that the frag cannon is around the same points as a plasma cannon, this 5 man squad is 10 points more expensive than a standard 5-man sternguard with the same wargear. These 10 points get you Stubborn on your vet Sergeant, precision shots on ONE boltgun, FNP on ONE guy, and 2 CCW on one guy.

Ortan Cassius: +5 points for special ammo in the bolt pistol.

Edryc Setorax: +1 point for Stealth. Otherwise he has Raven Guard tactics.

Antor Delassio: +1 point for absolutely nothing that I can see. BA tactics included.

Jensus Natorian: +5 points for special ammo in the bolt pistol.

Garran Barantar: The only Cheap purchase I can find. -15 points if you consider the master craft on both weapons, AND the fact that he gets a second gun. However, he has no special rules to FIRE both.

Jetek Suberei: +4 points for Special Issue Ammo on the bike's bolters, and a TeleHomer.

Kill Team Cassius: WHY. Why would anyone want a large unit where the bikes and jump packs are slowed down by the Terminator and Heavy Weapon? Is the rerollng 1s that important?

*note: Edryc, Antor, Garran, and Jetek are Characters, but NOT Independent Characters. Therefore, they're going to die fast outside of the Kill Team formation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 04:50 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Not everyone is motivated by rules. Those are some sweet models, and I would love to play skirmishes using them like the Last Chancers.

If you're all about rules then skip this and wait for the next rotfstomp Formation to come out. Easy peasy.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

I feel like that's the only purpose for them. Which I guess is possible. Just run them as a 550 point game against something.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 05:19 PM
Rattlehead

Why bother with Warp Talons? Why bother with Thousand Sons? Why bother with Sentinels? Why bother with the Sanguinor?

It's 40k, lots of stuff is cool but terrible. This ain't no thing that's new or surprising.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 05:23 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

That's the only use for them to you, to be sure. There's a ton of excitement for these guys in my group and, iirc, we don't yet have actual knowledge of how they fit into the game individually. They have FOC designations but they're not Space Marine Faction so this is a bit premature anyway.

Personally I'd play them against increasing points values and create custom scenarios around them to help balance the game. Sure there's the minigame but I like the parameters of 40k more for gameplay.

The more I think of it, there could easily be a Deathwatch Detachment with a FOC and maybe there's even rules for creating your own DW members. Great way for GW to expand the line and pilfer our wallets more, just like what's rumoured (and what I've always thought would happen) with Battle at Calth.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 05:28 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

personaly I would just love to play the standalone game and paint the miniatures. I'm sure I can find a use for them in the game somewhere at some point tho.

you can also use the models for character/HQ conversions. with a little knife work that white scar makes a great captain.

Last edited by Haskanael; 02-27-16 at 07:15 PM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 07:34 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I pre-ordered the genestealer patriarch from b&k - I'll use it as a broodlord

Rest of the kit is cool, but not for my taste. For some reason I am not a fan of genestealer cults (a huge fan of the pure Tyranid genestealers though) and don't really like the lack of an inquisition leader. In stead we get an all SM line up.

But I must say the kit looks good, I am sure the game is awesome, but just not for me.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-16, 12:46 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Why bother with Warp Talons? Why bother with Thousand Sons? Why bother with Sentinels? Why bother with the Sanguinor?

It's 40k, lots of stuff is cool but terrible. This ain't no thing that's new or surprising.
where went the rpg aspect of the game?
the build your own history.
now, everything is netlisted commission painted cardboard.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-16, 12:49 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohar View Post
I pre-ordered the genestealer patriarch from b&k - I'll use it as a broodlord

Rest of the kit is cool, but not for my taste. For some reason I am not a fan of genestealer cults (a huge fan of the pure Tyranid genestealers though) and don't really like the lack of an inquisition leader. In stead we get an all SM line up.

But I must say the kit looks good, I am sure the game is awesome, but just not for me.
if i didn't already have too much to do,
and if i had a basement,
i would pick this up with a small inquisition force built around the box contents.
add a few units into two 1500 point armies.
build cool lists and keep them as permanent armies
like a chess kit in the basement.

instead, i have been basically working to this situation
closer to 3000pts. each side
with inquisition/marines
eldar and harlequins
and orks with some chaos allies.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-16, 02:46 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
where went the rpg aspect of the game?
the build your own history.
now, everything is netlisted commission painted cardboard.
You build your own history with that set of special characters someone else wrote the back stories for. I'm going to go off and have challenging, enjoyable games with my army of my own guys, each of whom was painstakingly painted by me, myself.

Get off your high horse and stop being such a passive-aggressive tosspot.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode