Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Bring back the old Necrons!

7K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Is this a joke? The new Necron range is great! There was a reason why you would only field 5 Monoliths and 100 warriors, and that is because there were no other options and what was available wasn't worth it due to the old Phase Out rule, which was one of the worst rules ever implemented by GW. Not to mention that Necrons are very powerful with their current rule set.

Your petition only mentions Szeras as ugly. Care to explain how the others are bad? Might I remind you that the first true Necron models were Terminator knock-offs?

If you feel that they are bad, fine, that is your opinion. Just be aware that your opinion is likely a very small minority among Necron players.

#30 ·
The new Necron UNITS are great, their models are awful. The sheer amount of orbs is shocking and takes away from the overall model, IE. Wraiths. Most of the new units are ugly to be honest. This petition is not about removing units from the game, it's about de-blinging the models for these units. In my humble opinion of course...

#6 ·
If this was a petition to bring back terminator command squads
Use the Deathwing book as an Allied Detachment but play whatever models you have for the Chapter you normally play? Or the Grey Knight book if you like their weapons more (Paladin squads can take Apothecaries I think?), but in any case you're getting that special command squad.

#7 · (Edited)
I think it would me more productive to slam your dick in a door while reciting Mr. Roboto than to send a petition to GW, to be perfectly honest.

#10 ·
Come on though people, the thought of someone painting one of their models pink solely to run it over must be some incentive to sign surely.
Yeah, not even close. Sure, lets go back to a mono-build army that consists of three types of models rather than the variety we have now.

What a fucking joke:no:

#16 ·
Hold on...

I think the point of this has been obscured probably through the fault of myself and my friend who started the petition, I do apologise. The idea is not to eradicate the new units, but to de-bling them so to speak. The new Wraiths would look awesome if it wasn't for the sheer amount of orbs that cover them. They used to be mysterious and sinister, now they are coated in layers of "showbiz".

#20 ·
Love that this is your first post @PopularSauce. Welcome to Heresy! :laugh:

Thanks, it's certainly been interesting :grin: The other 40K forums took this quite well.

Yeah, welcome aswell! You'll see that here at Heresy we discuss and vent our opinions unlike other forums! Hope you have a look around and share your army and tales of lost and won battles.

#18 ·
@PopularSauce, what flavour is popular sauce? Also, I dont play necrons, but much prefared the fluff when they were completely mindless like the space version of the undead/borg collective. Personally I dont think G.W will give a fuck about a petition, you'd have to organize a successful boycott of necrons and hit the profits big time for them to raise an eyebrow!

I do understand your point about the "bling" on the minis, the in vogue style in G.W at the moment is (in my opinion) to cariacture their factions, Dark Angels for example look like they took a normal marine dipped it in glue and rolled it around in a Dark Angels bits box. Oh and welcome to the Heresy, you have certainly hit the ground running, enjoy the stay, even though you are a filthy xeno lover!

#21 ·
@PopularSauce, what flavour is popular sauce?
I guess in Asian countries it's soy sauce, probably ketchup in the Western World.
I entirely agree, I didn't set up the petition, it was a mate of mine that played Necrons from 3rd edition onwards. I personally don't play Necrons, but I much preferred them when they were mindless killing machines. The petition may not mean much to GW but signing it would be much appreciated, just to see how many people preferred the old style of models.

#19 ·
Just saying, my Necron army is pretty much all Immortals, Warriors, and a Monolith with Scarabs running everywhere because I liked the old style Necron stuff from when I was a kid more than what they've become now. It's not like they aren't cool and effective now with way more options and such, I just like the idea of the zombie robot army more than I like the idea of a super advanced robot race from hundreds of thousands of years ago.

I'm not about to start a petition or anything but I can definitely see where our OP is coming from (even if it's just the new aesthetic) just like I can see why the people who now have a versatile and strong army are happy about where the 'crons are nowadays.

#22 ·
I'm not about to start a petition or anything but I can definitely see where our OP is coming from (even if it's just the new aesthetic) just like I can see why the people who now have a versatile and strong army are happy about where the 'crons are nowadays.
I think that is the issue, there are 2 types of Necron collectors: Newcron collectors and Oldcron collectors. What the petition suggests is a supplement that allows players to use large Troop based forces.

#28 · (Edited)
The Mephrit Dynasty has three Relics, a Warlord Trait table, a Detachment, and four Formations (one being a combination of all three with extra bonuses) in the SoB:E book, plus an extra White Dwarf Formation. It isn't a full fledged supplement like Sentinels of Terra or Black Legion but it has a fair slice of unique.

#34 ·
I guess I'm not seeing the "Bling" of the new Necrons...

They are not the below, so whatever it is that you guys dislike I humbly suggest getting good at at using miliput/greenstuff and a hobby knife. Or using the super power called "Wallet", I've heard that Batman is good at that one.

#40 ·
And there is absolutely nothing stopping you from having that in the current codex.

#52 · (Edited)
I'm getting a little confused about this claim : it's obviously not only a matter of look, as discussions have spread upon army lists, and that the question of the poll attached to the petition is related to the Necrons' fluff.

- The army list point seems to have been solved by @darkreever who posted official formations allowing to play Necrons as they were in 3rd Edition.

- The fluff concern is probably something where nothing can be done. W40K background is always evolving and, yes, they have developed a basic "killer robots" background into something far more detailed (which does not prevent players to use them as killer robots, though). It's the same as for the World Eaters, who were first just presented as "mindless killers", and for the Horus Heresy in general (and at larger scale, with 30 novels and a lot of short stories and audio drama expanding and detailing the basic fluff).

- Now, the miniatures : who really thinks that a 100 signatures petitions could make GW change models they have probably spent months (years ?) to set up ? It's nowadays possible for people to bypass official miniatures they don't like, whether by customizing them (not mounting the "bling-bling" parts and using green stuff to replace them of fill the gaps) or by buying other "count as" miniatures of the same scale (not necessarily from FW or GW ... http://www.warlordgames.com/terminator-genisys/ , for instance).

Another solution could be to launch a crowdfunding project (kickstarter, ulul, ...) for creating "killer robots" miniatures that would match the needs and desires of people not happy with the current Necrons serie.

#54 ·
- The army list point seems to have been solved by darkreever who posted official formations allowing to play Necrons as they were in 3rd Edition.
Thanks, but that was @ntaw not me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.