Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Catachan Vehicles

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 ·
I'm getting back into the hobby after almost 20 years away and am really getting into the building of a true to fluff Catachan Regiments. I have established the 2nd Catachan "Devils" in the past week as my first army and am really getting more into the lore of the Deathworld. We all know that Sentinels are made for jungle warfare, and that Catachans are based off of US Troops during the Vietnam War so Valkyries and Vendettas are logical choices for "Death From Above" Warfare. I propose that Hellhounds would also have to be in the lore of Catachans as fire is the most effective way to clear the jungle for roads and establishing settlements. What are some thoughts of adding a few Hellhounds into a pure Catachan Regiment? Personally I think they should be more involved in both the story line and game play, but it's been so long I don't know how effective they will be. Either way I'm having fun joining the discussion and reading/viewing all this great forum provides.

#3 ·
I'm I propose that Hellhounds would also have to be in the lore of Catachans as fire is the most effective way to clear the jungle for roads and establishing settlements. What are some thoughts of adding a few Hellhounds into a pure Catachan Regiment?
"Welcome to the 'Nam!"

Quite frankly I'd be disappointed with any Vietnam-flavoured Catachan army that didn't have at least one Hellhound in it. :)

#4 ·
My father was a Marine serving two tours from '68-'70 and while he didn't talk about the war much I do remember him saying the jungle was so thick they had to burn it out with a "Zippo", which was a flame throwing tank. I believe that's why I've always been attracted to the Catachans, they remind me of my dad!

The thing I don't understand is why there isn't any mention of their extensive use in the Catachan Codex, stories or lore. Even though my paint scheme will NOT be camo, the army is definitely going to be Vietnam themed. Thanks again for the responses, this is a much healthier hobby, and is making my wife a lot happier since we can talk while I paint :), than my old one of gaming....

#5 ·
My father was a Marine serving two tours from '68-'70 and while he didn't talk about the war much I do remember him saying the jungle was so thick they had to burn it out with a "Zippo", which was a flame throwing tank.
The pic above is an M132.

The "zippo" to which you are referring is a variant of the M48 Patton tank :so_happy:

#7 ·
On the other hand, Imperial Armour Vol 1 (1st edition; not sure if 2nd edition has any picture/colour slates) showed Catachan pattern Thunderer tanks and Leman Russ Demolishers, so they were a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.