Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How important is your fluff

• Fluff is key. I may lose a lot, but at least my army lists fluffy! Most models converted.

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Fluff mainly comes from the conversions. I like a fluffy list, but like s to make a reasonalbe list

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Competitive list, slightly fluffy. Converted models give most fluff.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Fluf be damned, I want to win!

Votes: 7 7.5%

How important is your fluff

3K views 45 replies 39 participants last post by  effigy22 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been pondering this for a while and thought I'd open it up to a wider community.
How important is your army fluff?
Are all your lists taylored to be as fluffy as possible?
Will you sacrifice fluff for competitiveness?
Does fluff come from the list, the models or both?

For me, fluff is important. I play khonre. 8 man squads, everything with MoK, The only things with big guns are transports (LR) and a dread.

Any opinions?

EDIT:
I mean no offence to those who take being competitive first. We all get joy from different aspects of the hobby.

#2 ·
Fluff is really importanty to me seeing i've been working on my space marine chapters fluff for 5 years now. i don't win all the time (anymore) but i can say i'm not a spambeard cheese lover

#4 ·
I am more into the conversions and painting part of the hobby. So the fluff is probably more important to me. I play more for fun but I like to have a reasonable competitive list.

I have several friends that make power house list and I enjoy playing against them to see how my army does. My friends like playing me because they get to fight a horde army and I'm very into using tricks and tactics against them and sometimes beating their powerhouse list.

#6 ·
Fluff isn't so much important as it is simply entertaining. I'd like to be able convert my models like Jesus in his carpenter years, but I'm naff at it. So, instead I'll go as far as maybe writing a battle report after a noteworthy game from the point of view of my army's commander. But more than my case of creative homebrew fluff, no way. I'm naturally competitive, so I'd never let fluff get in the way of a victory. Better for fluff to remain on paper and away from the action.

It's what works best for me. :victory:

#7 ·
I'm pretty much fluff-orientated. Don't see that there's a necessary connection to converting though. Very few of my marines are converted, or my orks for that matter. They don't need to be (and I'm a rubbish modeller). They're already representing what they're supposed to represent.

So, fluff, yes, conversion... when I'm feeling confident!

:really not a very good modeller cyclops:

#8 ·
I've been making a story for my Dark Harbinger chaper and the fluff reflects my lists some bit but still competitive. And only sregeants, HQ's and veterans are converted and that's usually just a homemade tabard

#9 ·
I only play a couple of times a year, so I like fluff!

I have IG tanks with only turret weapons for the sake of fluff and aesthetics. Strange how no-one complains that my Russ only have a turret weapon isn't it.

#15 ·
I made my witch hunters sort of part fluffy part competetive. Half and half really. But with my Alpha Legion all I have left is fluff since rules dont exist for them anymore. Most of my models were converted, even some of the basic troops.

#16 ·
i spend ages writing and rewriting my lists so the armies are more tactics based, but i try to stick to a certain theme:
my orks are a deathskulls army, so i have converted all my vehicles to fit in with a specific looting expedition. the same goes for my Warboss and Bodyguard. i take a mixture of what looks god, what is good, and what goes well fluff-wise.

#18 ·
Two words - lesser daemons.

I have 20 in my 1500 point Word Bearer list, and I sure as hell didn't pick them because they're powerful.

As for converting stuff, well... I made my CSM all Doghouse pattern Gothic Marines. Although I only have 10 CSM in the list, because it's a pain greenstuffing all those legs...

#21 ·
Fluff is THE main focus of just about everything i do with models these days as i dont get to play much, well i've played one game since the 4th Ed rules came out :p I cant say that i'd include converting models in the some group though, you dont have to have converted models to stick to the fluff.

#23 ·
Aye. Fluff is good, but not the be-all and end-all of my forces.

#25 ·
I feel that fluff is the most important factor in a force, since the game is very narrative i nature. I also believe that it is a myth that there has to be a choice between fluff and winning. I use a very fluff dominated Death guard force, and I win more often than i lose. As with a competitively built force, the key is to know what your force can do, creating a plan based on that, and sticking to the plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.