Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Eldar - 8th - 500pts - Friendly

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tirnaog 
#1 ·
Comments suggestions?
491 pts.
Jumping fun with some Long range shooting with the Autarch.
All 3+ saves! 16 models not a bad count for 500pts, and Eldar :).
Is it me or do they not seem quite as good on paper as 7th spiders?

Detachment: 1 Vanguard [1CP]
HQ: Autarch x1
--- Fusion Pistol, SunBurst Grenades, DeathSpinner, Reaper Launcher, Jump Pack

Elites: Warp Spiders x5 x3 units.
--- Exarch: DeathSpinner x2

#2 ·
Is it me or do they not seem quite as good on paper as 7th spiders?
Well thats because on paper they are 8 points more expensive, have a slightly lower leadership, and the exarch's BS/WS is worse than before.

That being said, with the exarchs iron resolve the lower leadership isn't an issue, these spiders move faster; and new edition was sure to bring some point changes here and there.

HQ: Autarch x1
--- Fusion Pistol, SunBurst Grenades, DeathSpinner, Reaper Launcher, Jump Pack
The deathspinner is honestly a waste of points here. Battle focus will allow you to use the reaper launcher without shooting penalty, so theres very little reason to use the deathspinner.

I'd drop it in favour of the scorpion chainsword or power weapon. Your weapons are close range and its easier to get drawn into combat in this edition so some protection of that wouldn't hurt.

Elites: Warp Spiders x5 x3 units.
--- Exarch: DeathSpinner x2
First, warp spiders are fast attack so this needs to be an outrider detachment.

Second, I'd consider swapping one squad out for a unit of swooping hawks.

How did you get to 491 points? If anything, you should only be at 475.

I'd recommend something along the lines of this:

#4 ·
Thanks for reviewing the list.

1] Detachments: Forgot they were not Elite. So aye should be Outrider! Thks :)
2] Battle focus and the Reaper Launcher: As far as I understand it, it being a hvy weapon
BF wont do anything for me here. If I move I get to shoot it but at -1 to BS.
3] Death Spinner is Assualt 2 so I can still use it. Will relook at the Chainsword/Power weapons though :).
4] Swooping Hawks: :) have not had a look at them yet. Didnt care for them too much in 7th.
5] Pts wise my Autarch is 113 and the WS squads are 126 each.
WS: (14 + 8) x5 + 16 for the Exrachs 2 DSs.
AU: 65 + FP9 + DS8 + RL31
Hopefully I was reading the points correctly. Seems some are paid for and others not.

#5 ·
2] Battle focus and the Reaper Launcher: As far as I understand it, it being a hvy weapon
BF wont do anything for me here. If I move I get to shoot it but at -1 to BS.
Yeah I missed that, that being the case it still has superior range, ap, and damage output when compared to the deathspinner.

3] Death Spinner is Assualt 2 so I can still use it. Will relook at the Chainsword/Power weapons though .
Use it without penalty yes, however it still has less than half the range compared to the reaper launcher, doing less damage, and relying on 6's to have a similar ap output.

The power weapon or chainsword are decent because of their relative low cost to you.

4] Swooping Hawks: have not had a look at them yet. Didnt care for them too much in 7th.
There is also the option of shining spears, which offer you more wounds per model with good speed and decent damage output. However, as always, they are not cheap point wise so you'll really only be making use of 3-4.

5] Pts wise my Autarch is 113 and the WS squads are 126 each.
WS: (14 + 8) x5 + 16 for the Exrachs 2 DSs.
AU: 65 + FP9 + DS8 + RL31
Hopefully I was reading the points correctly. Seems some are paid for and others not.
Unfortunately no, you were not.

Your paying for an autarch, not the autarch with warp jump generator. In the list you have now, he should cost you 121 points. Your also forgetting that the warp spider exarch may replace his deathspinner with two deathspinners, meaning you just add the cost of one more deathspinner to the unit (as they will now have 6 deathspinners; your currently paying for 7.) So each warp spider squad, as you have them, should cost you 118 points. Thats 475, a significant difference at this point value.

The list I proposed gives you more models overall while maintaining speed and damage output. However swooping hawks are not the only other alternate option, you also have a unit of shining spears (3 strong with a star lance comes to 132 points) or a vyper with two shuriken cannons (88 points). Though if you used the spears than you'll need to opt for five strong squads whereas the viper allows you two more spiders.

#7 ·
Hello all.

Finally had my first game of 8th edition. Didnt go well.
500pts of warp spiders and an Auturch with jump pack against..... 3 dreadnoughts lead by a Salamander HQ guy.
Fast game. :(

Warp Spiders dont feel right at all to me. Course I could be doing something very wrong with them .
From the get go of this unit the hit N Run is what I liked about them. Run in, shoot Warp out.
Is that now gone? All I see is a 7" move, followed by either a Advance/Charge or a 4 D6" move.

So on the next game I am gona turn up with the following:
Army Type: BattleForged - CP ?
Detachment: SpearHead - CP 1
HQ: Warlock - Shuriken pistol, WitchBlade. Barebones listing to make the detachment work.
Hvy: WraithLords x3 -
2 armed with: WraithBone Fists, 2 Flamers, GhostGlaive, 2 Shuriken Cannons.
1 armed with: WraithBone Fists, 2 Flamers, GhostGlaive, 1 Brightlance.

Comes in just under 500pts.
What do ye think?

#8 ·
WH40K - 8thEd - 500 Pts - Craftworlds Roster
? on Command points {CPs} do they refresh each battle turn or once spent are gone for the battle?

Comments / suggestions?
Would ye pick different Trait or stratagems? Why?

Wanted Wraithguard but could not see a detachment that would work within the 500pts limit.
Any ideas? is it possible.

Army [1]
Spearhead Detachment (CPs = 4, 492 pts)
1 Spiritseer, 45pts (Warlord Trait: Fates of the Messenger. CW Stratagems: Webway Strike [1/3CP], Fade & Fire [1CP], Tears of Isha [2CP] )
9 Rangers, 180 pts
1 War Walker, 113 pts (Bright Lance; Starcannon)
1 War Walker, 113 pts (Bright Lance; Starcannon )
1 War Walker, 113 pts (Bright Lance; Starcannon )

Army [2]
Spearhead Detachment (CPs = 4, 489 pts)
1 Spiritseer, 45pts (Warlord Trait: Fates of the Messenger. CW Stratagems: Webway Strike [1/3CP], Fade & Fire [1CP], Tears of Isha [2CP] )
1 Wraithlord, 148 pts (Ghostglaive; Bright Lance x1; Starcannon x1)

#9 ·
Army 2 did the job on the rematch.
Took out his 3 dreadnoughts and a chaplin.
Hero of the game the SpiritSeer in the skyscraper.
Dealt out 6 mortal wounds and took 2/3 rounds of shooting from 2 dreadnoughts that pretty much melted the top of the building.
But like a terminator 800 he stood up within the fire to hit them back. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.