Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1000 points and in need of assistance

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Love XV8 
#1 · (Edited)
Eldar 1000 points​

HQ:
Farseer with Runes of Witnessing OR! The Spirit stone of Anath’lan (haven’t decided yet!).
115 p

Spiritseer.
70 p

Troops:
5 Wraithblades with Ghost axes and Forceshields. Wraithguard with Wraithcannon (in serpent instead of avengers)??
160 p

5 Rangers.
60 p

9 Dire Avengers, Exarch with Shimmershield, Power weapon.
147 p

Wave Serpent with Twin-linked Scatter lasers Bright lances, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields.
145 p

Heavy Support:
1 War Walker with Scatter laser, Starcannon.
70 p

70 p

Wraithlord with 2 Flamers, 2 Bright lances.
160 p

Total: 997 points

As for the tactics I'll be running the farseer with the Wraithblades on foot. The wraithblades are not really supposed to kill very much, but to have a strong troops choice for objectives and to keep my farseer relatively safe. Because with T6 and 3+/4++ they'll hopefully be very tough to bring down in a 1000p game with my main concern being getting charged with power weaps or leman sruss battle cannons or something like that. not sure on which psychic disciplines to go for but maybe guide, prescience and another roll on divination or hope for fortune/doom and try to boos the rest or the army for the best.

The spirit seer makes the wraithblades troops as well as he boost the dire avengers who he'll join. since we no longer have the bladestorm and defend exarch powers I figured that a spirit seer would make the previous tactics of shooting and then assaulting effective in this edition as well. comments?

Dire avengers fire away at infantry units after jumping out of their transport, which can lay down additional fire power with the scatter laser and twin-link the serpent shield shooting attack :victory:

Rangers are there to go to ground at the home objective/in close cover and snap snipe at whatever.

The scatter laser/Star cannon combo I really like as it's a very versatile one, bale to thin out hordes (gets almost the same shots as dual scatter laser since the star cannon get's twin-liked), kill light armour, MCs or pretty much anything that isn't a heavy armour vehicle.

Wraithlords messes with tanks/MCs from a distance or approaches hordes with dual flamers and can issue challenges should he get assaulted by ie. an ork mob with a power klaw.

I feel that I somewhat lack anti heavy armour capability with more or less only the wraithlord to deal with those sorts of threats so any advice of how to improve that factor would be great!
I've though about a couple of ways that maybe could work?
Though it means they no longer plays the same roll I could switch the wraithblades for wraithguards with wraithcannons and give them the avengers wave serpent.
or I could get a twin-linked bright lance for the serpent's main gun.
Other suggestions?

So there you have it, and as I'm quite new to Eldar and could really need a few tips and tricks. any comments are much appreciated and thanks for taking your time to read and give me a little feedback :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Eldar 1000 points​

HQ:
Farseer with Runes of Witnessing OR! The Spirit stone of Anath’lan (haven’t decided yet!).
If you are struggling to decide, find Ragewind's rundown of the codex, he's the best insight you'll get on Eldar (in my opinion).
115 p

Spiritseer.
70 p
fine.

Troops:
5 Wraithblades with Ghost axes and Forceshields. Wraithguard with Wraithcannon (in serpent instead of avengers)??
160 p
You'll want the Blades in the Serpent. Get them on an objective and they'll be hard to shift.

5 Rangers.
60 p
A unit of 7-8 would be better. 5 can be forced to run quite easily and 2-3 casualties limits the damage output considerably. A big unit = more shots, more staying power = more reliability.

9 Dire Avengers, Exarch with Shimmershield, Power weapon.
147 p
Not sure why you're going with a CC Exarch. Granted, Counter Attack makes these guys a danger to charge, but they are not combat Eldar.

Wave Serpent with Twin-linked Scatter lasers Bright lances, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields.
145 p
TL-BLs is anti-tank you're lacking.

Heavy Support:
70 p

70 p
Take dual Scatter lasers. Never mix weapons.

Wraithlord with 2 Flamers, 2 Bright lances.
160 p
A waste of points. A prism would be far better. If it's a MC you're after, the Avatar is a better buy.

Total: 997 points

As for the tactics I'll be running the farseer with the Wraithblades on foot. The wraithblades are not really supposed to kill very much, but to have a strong troops choice for objectives and to keep my farseer relatively safe. Because with T6 and 3+/4++ they'll hopefully be very tough to bring down in a 1000p game with my main concern being getting charged with power weaps or leman sruss battle cannons or something like that. not sure on which psychic disciplines to go for but maybe guide, prescience and another roll on divination or hope for fortune/doom and try to boos the rest or the army for the best.

The spirit seer makes the wraithblades troops as well as he boost the dire avengers who he'll join. since we no longer have the bladestorm and defend exarch powers I figured that a spirit seer would make the previous tactics of shooting and then assaulting effective in this edition as well. comments?

Dire avengers fire away at infantry units after jumping out of their transport, which can lay down additional fire power with the scatter laser and twin-link the serpent shield shooting attack :victory:

Rangers are there to go to ground at the home objective/in close cover and snap snipe at whatever.

The scatter laser/Star cannon combo I really like as it's a very versatile one, bale to thin out hordes (gets almost the same shots as dual scatter laser since the star cannon get's twin-liked), kill light armour, MCs or pretty much anything that isn't a heavy armour vehicle.

Wraithlords messes with tanks/MCs from a distance or approaches hordes with dual flamers and can issue challenges should he get assaulted by ie. an ork mob with a power klaw.

I feel that I somewhat lack anti heavy armour capability with more or less only the wraithlord to deal with those sorts of threats so any advice of how to improve that factor would be great!
I've though about a couple of ways that maybe could work?
Though it means they no longer plays the same roll I could switch the wraithblades for wraithguards with wraithcannons and give them the avengers wave serpent.
or I could get a twin-linked bright lance for the serpent's main gun.
Other suggestions?

So there you have it, and as I'm quite new to Eldar and could really need a few tips and tricks. any comments are much appreciated and thanks for taking your time to read and give me a little feedback :)
My thoughts at the moment.

#3 · (Edited)
First of all, I forgot to mention that this is suppose to be a semi-competitive list, and also I'm not a fan of guardian models nor The Avatar for that matter and I'd rather go for units I like the looks for actually.

1. I think I'll just playtest the farseer and see how he works for me. though any tactics regarding psychic power set up/rolling would be great.

2. As mentioned the wraithblades are there to be a a solid tough unit to march up the board and attach the farseer to, so that he can remain protected while casting powers to boost the war walkers/wraithlord/wave serpent/dire avengers as they too make in close objectives and enemy targets.

3. I would indeed like a larger number of rangers but didn't have the points. figured I'd be low on troops with only the WB and the DA and they came in the cheapest.

4. I already have a painted dire avenger exarch with that equipment which is the main reason I kitted him that way. although the shimmershield now provides the 5++ not only in CC and that is to me a really nice improvement. and also the spiritseer will add a little strength in CC with his boosting powers and the only time they'll assault will be after shooting to hopefully wipe out the remains. and since this is most useful when jumping out from their transport they will at least be play tested like that and see how it works out. I'll definitely change the main weapon to a twin-linked bright lance though! and the wraithblades will be able to soak up the incoming fire much better than foot slogging dire avengers too :p

5. This war walker set up worked brilliantly for me with the previous codex as they are pretty similar weapons and it provides them with great flexibility in tourneys so they are here to stay (though I might stick them together so a single psychic power can affect them)

6. Yeah the new Prism cannon is a bad ass gun! it's just that I've always wanted a wraithlord because they are imo the coolest looking model in all warhammer 40k.

I really do appreciate you taking your time and helping me out here. the thing is that with no explanation I don't know what is wrong with the thoughts behind my original setup and how the one you suggest works and why it works better. Sorry to tell you but the whole "This is better than this." just doesn't work for me, I need to know why so that I can learn and improve. So what I'm really after here is some feedback on how I intent to use the different units. thanks again! :)

#4 ·
IMO the war walkers with scatter laser and starcannons are super now.
Scatter laser and laser lock makes it twin linked and star cannons are AP2 so the number of S6 shots your putting out can really help.

Perhaps some mileage in EML on them but its so many points now and you can have bright lances cheaper on serpents and lords that its not worth it. once they come into play.

overall i like the list. im torn between wraith blades and wraith guard. I would be inclined to use the blades on foot only if i was going for a more foot dar list but t6 assault guys could help out the lord and advance forward with him as are all relentless.

I'm not sure on the twin linked serpent shield weapon from scatter lasers and laser lock. yes rules as written certainly seem to allow it but i think they may FAQ and make it can shoot only once as it seems almost too nice. until then think it could be super useful.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input Jam :)

Yeah that's why I love that scatter laser/starcannon combo, assuming you manage at least one hit with the first scatter laser the second weapon is either 4 S6 AP6 shots or 2 Twin-linked S6 AP2 shots.

I'd love some EML but like mentioned they've gone up in price quite a bit and I'd rather go dual lances nowadays.

Well what I originally wanted was to play footdar, but I just don't know how to work my avenger squad without a serpent :p And I guess we will see about that serpent shield, hopefully it stays and then any serpent should get a twin scatter laser! :victory:

Anyone else got an opinion on my tactics with this list? If you do, please come with suggestions, thank you! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.