Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Need some creative feed back

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  neferhet 
#1 ·
Okay so working on a campaign and I've hit a bit of a creative stump. I'm writing up the missions for each zone and I'm just kind of stuck where I am right now. So I'm hoping I can spark some discussion and feed back on what I have and that will in turn help me clear my mental log jam.

So what do I have so far? I have a map:

I have a list of territories that coincide with the numbers on the map with some notes for fluff and missions for the zones.

• 1 Arigas Highlands

Fluff snippet: A mountainous region that is the ringed by a series of volcanoes spawned by the crashing tectonic plates. While difficult to reach, the mineral wealth in the region make the Arigas Highland highly sought after by any forces setting foot on Iioris.
Mission notes:
Active Volcanoes. Starting with turn 2, roll a D6. If the result is a 6 apply the following effects: Night fighting is used starting with the next game turn and from then on until the end of the game. Until the conclusion of the present turn all ground is counted as difficult On

• 2 Fengeris Forrests

Fluff Snippet:Bordered in the north by the volcanoes of the Arigas Highlands, and in the south by the volcanic activities of the Corrinthior peaks, the Fengeris Forrests are a sort of hidden oaisis as they abundance of volcanic ash provides an incredibly fertile growing planes allowing the trees in the region to grow to massive heights. So massive and well nourished are the trees that they now dominate the region, their branches long ago intertwined with one another creating a dense forest canopy that blocks out the sky and sunlight.
Mission notes: Night fighting rules are in effect for the entire game. Deep striking units that are described as dropping in from the sky may not deep strike (Such as Assault Marines)

• 3 Corrinthior Peaks

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 4 Muvahi Archipeligo

i. A swamp filled and water logged archipelago, stories abound about treasures and lost artifacts in the swamps and marshes of Muvahi. Many a treasure hunter has lost their lives in the regions.
ii. Mission notes
iii. Swamp land: all non-hover type tanks take a dangerous terrain each turn they are on the board. Infantry models with a save of 3+ or better treat open ground as difficult.

• 5 Crashed Mechanicus Cruiser

i. In centuries past the Mechanicus Cruiser “Martian Vigilance” crashed into the oceans of Iioris. Its location makes it difficult to get to and impossible to salvage. It is however a Mechanicus cruiser and because of that is abundant in rare technologies and hard to find resources, resources that only an army with access to orbital support ships would be capable of capturing. Even with another ship, getting around in the cramped corridors of the submerged vessel would prove to be dangerous as some areas are locked in total darkness, while others are under water and still others are structurally unsound and threaten to collapse at the slightest provocation.
ii. Mission notes
iii. May only use infantry type models on bases that are 40mm or smaller. Uses the Void War fare rules. May not use scouts or outflank

• 6 Nora’Veesta Heartland

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 7 Pansharia Coast

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 8 Rosair Floodlands

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 9 Duragor Plateau

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 10 Xurandia Plains

Fluff SnippetThe principle food production region for the eastern continent, Xurandia was heavy patrolled by security forces in the days before the invasion. Fearful of attempts to poison the food supplies, these patrols were career military giving the Plains a ready standing armed force. Following the invasion, these forces were pressed into working the fields they had previously been charged with protecting.
Mission notes: Terrain should be set up to resemble a wheat field of some sort.
Special Rules?

• 11 Vetoriax Bay

Fluff SnippetIn ages past, Vetoriax bay was the primary manufactorum of the western continent, churning out munitions and war means by the thousand. Now it is a ghostly shadow of its former glory, a city sized factory shrouded in poisonous gases, the origins of which have been lost to the views of time. If a commander were to take control of the zone they would gain increased munitions and hardware, but to do so would be difficult at best as the chocking toxic clouds would make it a death trap for any who were injured there.
Mission notes
Special rules: Night fighting, all shots and attacks count as having rending. Attacks which already are rending have +1 S.

• 12 Xurandia Mountains

Fluff Snippet Only a narrow mountain pass would allow an armored column of any form to move through the Xurandia Mountains, and under different circumstances most commanders would simply have bypassed the mountain range entirely. However the position of the mountains effectively bisects the continent into two parts mandating control of the passage in order for an army to move from one side of the continent to the other.
Notes:Rocky terrain with lots of small spaces making the use of non-skimmer type vehicles difficult.
Special rules:Flyers may only be used in hover mode. Flying monstrous creatures may not swoop. The armies may not make use of more than 3 entities that have the ‘tank’ type. Super heavies of any form may not be used.

• 13 Moka’Torile Coast

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules

• 14 Magarian Barrens

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules?

• 15 Corvean Coast

Fluff snippet
Mission notes
Special Rules?

• I16 Ioriss Capitol

Fluff snippet
Mission notes : Aboc battle to conclude the campaign.
Special Rules?

So... discuss please. Questions, thoughts, ideas... I need a mental bulldozer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like quite an interesting little campaign you have going on here, only real thought is looking back though old campaign supplements or at least fluff to start basing rules off. Some thoughts would be:

· Desert or dust plains (limited terrain or sand storms)

· Townships or river crossing (using terrain primarily to alter gameplay)

· Radiation zones (reducing toughness of every model in area)

Well that’s all I got off the top of my head, but as I said look at the forgeworld or GW supplements or even go for other systems where some area based rules might be good.

#3 ·
tasty stuff, maverike! I can add this to the basket:

4 Muvahi Archipeligo

i. A swamp filled and water logged archipelago, stories abound about treasures and lost artifacts in the swamps and marshes of Muvahi. Many a treasure hunter has lost their lives in the regions.
ii. Mission notes
iii. Swamp land: all non-hover type tanks take a dangerous terrain each turn they are on the board. Infantry models with a save of 3+ or better treat open ground as difficult.
i'd also say that "Amphibious" vehicles are not affected (namely, chimera)

5 Crashed Mechanicus Cruiser

i. In centuries past the Mechanicus Cruiser “Martian Vigilance” crashed into the oceans of Iioris. Its location makes it difficult to get to and impossible to salvage. It is however a Mechanicus cruiser and because of that is abundant in rare technologies and hard to find resources, resources that only an army with access to orbital support ships would be capable of capturing. Even with another ship, getting around in the cramped corridors of the submerged vessel would prove to be dangerous as some areas are locked in total darkness, while others are under water and still others are structurally unsound and threaten to collapse at the slightest provocation.
ii. Mission notes
iii. May only use infantry type models on bases that are 40mm or smaller. Uses the Void War fare rules. May not use scouts or outflank
I'd say that this area should use zone mortalis to represent the cramped corridors of the cruiser..

3 Corrinthior Peaks
maybe icy peaks where ice makes all terrain (even open) as difficult and any difficult terrain becomes dangerous. Otherwise area prone to chilling winds and storms: instead of night fighting, roll to see if you have a storm. 4+ first turn, otherwise 5th turn. The storm causes a reduction of range of sight as per nightfighting 5th edition rules. Acute senses still help as does special vehicle equip.

8 Rosair Floodlands
you could have some open areas marked as riverbeds. these riverbeds are filled with water causing havoc if you manage to open the two dam switches on the map (like controlled floodings for farming or whatnot). then it becomes impassable (unless amphibious) and any catched inside the area when the dam is opened take a str 10 hit and is washed 3d6" in a random direction.

well, just two cents. :)
Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.