Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Call to Arms!! 2.5k Bretonnian list for League Play

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Vaz 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been invited to take part in a 2.5k league with four games a weekend down my local club and will be taking my Bretonnians, I am not sure what I will be facing but am assuming that the newfangled (get it? :D) Vampire Counts will be making more then a cameo role as well as the typical WoC, Teclis Crutch Elves, cowardly black powder worshiping Empire and Ogres although I may be surprised.

So to the list

LORDS (481)

Lord - 231
The Heartwood Lance, Enchanted Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Heroism, Luckstone, Barded Steed

Prophetess - 250
Level 4, Dragons Claw, Lore of Heavens

HEROES (279)

Paladin - 124
Battle Standard Bearer, Barded Steed, Virtue of Purity, Gromril Great Helm

Damsel - 155
Level 2, Horse, Silver Mirror

CORE (1113)

Knights of The Realm - 240
9 Knights, Full Command

Knights of The Realm - 216 (Damsel)
8 Knights, Full Command

Knights of The Realm - 216 (BSB)
8 Knights, Full Command

Knights Errant - 181 (Lord)
8 Knights, Full Command

Peasant Bowmen - 130 (Prophetess)
20 Bowmen, Musician, Brazier

Peasant Bowmen - 130

SPECIAL (444)

Questing Knights - 279
9 Knights, Full Command

Pegasus Knights - 165
3 Knights, Champion

RARE (180)

Trebuchet - 90

Trebuchet - 90

Total 2497 Points

So what do you all think of the list?

I am aware of the lack of Magic Items but to be honest I like to have more Knights then pretty trinkets, although I am open to persuasion.

We will be playing random scenario's from the BRB so evidently I will probably get to play Watchtower more then once and never see Blood and Glory.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're happy playing Knight heavy then it looks good. I would go for a Feedback Scroll on your Prophetess to help kick the crutch out from under Teclis and any Vampire Counts players knocking about.

The one thing I would ask is, what your game plan if you opponents smallest unit of 40 guys.

#3 ·
I was considering throwing in a few more "Dispel" scrolls for more Anti Magic as I know at least one game I will be facing the typical onslaught of Lore of Metal.

In that situation probably panic for a little bit until I formulate a plan. Perhaps refuse a flank and try and get multiple lances into combat after the Trebuchets and Shooting has taken effecT, although to be honest I usually try to force my opponent to react to my positioning and hit him from a different angle.

I have the suicide squad of Pegasus Knights (a great recommendation from yourself) to charge and take out Wizards/Vampires/BSB asap or warmachines in other armies.

#4 ·
Ok so I have been working on this for a little bit and have a few revisions in place since I had a bad experience against Ethereal units this weekend

LORDS (481)

Lord - 231
The Heartwood Lance, Enchanted Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Heroism, Luckstone, Barded Steed

Prophetess - 250
Level 4, Dragons Claw, Lore of Heavens

HEROES (279)

Paladin - 124

Damsel - 155
Level 2, Horse, Silver Mirror

CORE (896)

Knights of The Realm - 216 (Lord)
8 Knights, Full Command

Knights of The Realm - 216 (Damsel)
8 Knights, Full Command

Knights of The Realm - 216 (BSB)
8 Knights, Full Command

Peasant Bowmen - 118 (Prophetess)
18 Bowmen, Musician, Brazier

Peasant Bowmen - 130

SPECIAL (444)

Questing Knights - 279
9 Knights, Full Command

Pegasus Knights - 165
3 Knights, Champion

RARE (400)

Grail Knights - 220
5 Knights, Full Command

Trebuchet - 90

Trebuchet - 90

Total 2500 Points

I desperately missed magical attacks, the other option that I can think of instead of Grail Knights is a Paladin geared out for maximum attacks with a magic item (Virtue of Knightly Temper and Biting Blade ect) as well as a feedback scroll and smattering of magical banners both of which cause wounds on the caster which is some very nasty magical defense.

Which looks like

LORDS (511)

Lord - 231

Prophetess - 280
Level 4, Feedback Scroll, Dragonbane Gem, Lore of Heavens

HEROES (398)

Paladin - 124

Paladin - 124
Barded Steed, Virtue of Knightly Temper, Biting Blade

Damsel - 150
Level 2, Silver Mirror, Iron Curse Icon

CORE (933)

Knights of The Realm - 226 (Lord)
8 Knights, Full Command, Banner of Chalons

Knights of The Realm - 226 (Paladin)
8 Knights, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Knights of The Realm - 221 (BSB)
8 Knights, Full Command, Gleaming Pennant

Peasant Bowmen - 130 (Prophetess)

Peasant Bowmen - 130 (Damsel)

SPECIAL (474)

Questing Knights - 309
9 Knights, Full Command, Banner of Defense

Pegasus Knights - 165
3 Knights, Champion

RARE (180)

Trebuchet - 90

Trebuchet - 90

Total 2496 Points

#5 ·
Lord - 254 pts
Barded Warhorse, Grail Vow, The Heartwood Lance, Charmed Shield, Luckstone, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Heroism

Prophetess of the Lady - 285 pts
Level 4, Prayer Icon of Quenelles, Crown of Command

Paladin - 126 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Grail Vow, Enchanted Shield, Dragon's Claw, Virtue of Empathy

Damsel of the Lady - 105 pts
Warhorse, Dispel Scroll

Damsel of the Lady - 95 pts
Warhorse, Sceptre of Stability

48 Men-at-Arms - 267 pts
Full Command

8 Knights of the Realm - 221 pts
Full Command, Gleaming Pennant

8 Knights of the Realm - 226 pts
Full Command, Banner of Chalons

3 Pegasus Knights - 165 pts

9 Questing Knights - 279 pts
Full Command

Grail Reliquae - 208 pts
16 Battle Pilgrims

5 Mounted Yeoman - 87
Shields, Musician

Field Trebuchet - 90 pts

Field Trebuchet - 90 pts

#8 · (Edited)
It used to not work, now it does. It should always be combined with the Heartwood Lance. The FAQ changed the wording from

Bretonnian Army Book said:
Against Large Targets, and if armed with a non-magical weapon, the Knight has the Killing Blow special ability. This overrides the normal limitation of Killing Blow only affecting man-sized models
to

Bretonnian FAQ said:
The Knight has the Heroic Killing Blow special rule

#11 · (Edited)
In that case, happy with that. Also what Lores are you going for? I suggest l4 beasts/life/life.

BTW have you seen some of the breton rumours on warseer?
I've been runnign Heavens/beasts/beasts of late

And no I have a lifetime ban on warseer :D

I tend to lock up the bigger units with mine and go hunting the smaller stuff with the Knights, makes the games that little more tense (especially with the Prophetess popping out the back of the M@A when in combat)

#12 ·
Heh, so have i, managed to bypass itnthough. Can never keep a good man down, or me for that matter.

Basically, in short, reliquae becomes a screaming bell type thing, with an option to tie a damsel to the top of it (damsel in distress?) which if she gets eaten makes for angry bretons, but pilgrims become sword and board peasants, while knights become monstrous cavalry in place of lance formation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.