Dante by Guy Haley - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-17, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default Dante by Guy Haley

Black Library & Warhammer Digital - Dante (eBook)
Black Library & Warhammer Digital - Dante Limited Edition

Dante

A Blood Angels novel
Even among the hallowed ranks of Space Marine Chapter Masters, Commander Dante of the Blood Angels is a legend. With over a thousand years of service, he has defended both the Imperium and his cursed brothers with every breath. This is his story.

READ IT BECAUSE
For the first time, discover the history of the glorious Blood Angels Commander Dante and his many centuries serving the Imperium.

THE STORY
Dante is Chapter Master of one of the noblest but most troubled Chapters of Space Marines in the Imperium: the Blood Angels. From the time of his birth in the rad-scarred wastes of Baal Secundus, he was destined for glory and strife. From his apotheosis to Scout, to the hive cities of Armageddon and the alien menace of the Cryptus system, Dante has waged war against all the enemies of the Imperium. He has witnessed the divine, and struggled against the darkness within all sons of Sanguinius. Longer lived than any other Chapter Master, this is his chronicle, his great and storied legend.

Dante, both in ebook, hardback and limited edition is available. According to Amazon, Dante is 304 pages, which is not too bad. May pick up this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-17, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Decided to pick it up after a while, and glad I did. A real pageturner that offers deep insight into the blood angels from angles not seen before in such detail. With how their neophytes are inducted into the chapter and the life of the scavenger tribes on the moons.

The story follows Dante post the Cryptus campaign, where we see the aftermath of it, and seeing flashbacks of the pivotal events in his long life. His origin, trials of ascension, induction into the blood angels and learning of their nature. His growth and ascension to become a captain. And his numerous encounters with the Sanguinor, including when it speaks to him. Speaking for the first time ever.

All in all, it touches upon a lot of blood angels fluff and weaves it well into the narative. Their struggles with the inner beast and the twin banes of the red thirst and the black rage. Guy Haley once again proves he is a masterful writter. Though I admit that this character book being much longer than the recent offerings also had a hand in me getting it. Azrael and Cassius only being around 200 pages.

But ill say this book is one of the truly core novels for understanding the nature of the blood angels. The recent book about Mephiston pales compared to this one, Guy Haley is just far better at the Blood Angels.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 03-04-17 at 12:54 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-17, 12:44 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
The recent book about Mephiston pales compared to this one, Guy Haley is just far better at the Blood Angels.
Good to know! I'll invariably pick them both up, but damn. It nice to see that BA are finally being delved into properly. Haley mentioned in a recent WC article that there's a kinda surprising lack of info about the BA in 40k fluff (something that has kinda irked me for a couple decades now). Considering how completely integral they are to the current 40k setting it's kinda ridiculous; there isn't even a name for the BA fortress monastery.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-17, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Good to know! I'll invariably pick them both up, but damn. It nice to see that BA are finally being delved into properly. Haley mentioned in a recent WC article that there's a kinda surprising lack of info about the BA in 40k fluff (something that has kinda irked me for a couple decades now). Considering how completely integral they are to the current 40k setting it's kinda ridiculous; there isn't even a name for the BA fortress monastery.
Actually the recent Mephiston book was the first to name the Blood Angels fortress Monastery, Arx Angelicum, the fortress of Angels. And Dante, this book, uses it as well.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-17, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Actually the recent Mephiston book was the first to name the Blood Angels fortress Monastery, Arx Angelicum, the fortress of Angels. And Dante, this book, uses it as well.
I was merely paraphrasing him from the article that came out today on the Warhammer Community website. For reference,

Quote:
The funny thing is, I discovered there wasn’t actually all that much detail about the Blood Angels. Certainly nothing to compare with the Ultramarines, Dark Angels or Space Wolves, all of whom have had lots of novels written about them. I found that fairly basic things were not stated. Their fortress monastery had no name. Baal and its two moons of Primus and Secundus were sketchily detailed. The Blood Angels were said to control their twin curse of the Red Thirst (makes them angry and yearn for blood) and the Black Rage (makes them experience the death of their Primarch, Sanguinius, and sends them terminally insane) through art and discipline, but exactly how was left unexplained.
Since I haven't read the Mephiston book I didn't know the name either, seeing him say it in this interview affirmed to me that I hadn't missed anything in the other James Swallow books (bullet dodged...?). I wonder how much the two authors collaborated their thoughts while developing these new details of Baal.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-17, 01:01 PM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

Had my LE come today, wowit is gorgeous! The Limited Editions of late have been incredible, just a shame it looks like the Titanicus LE is going to be a step backwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33156965781_f1b47724a9_c.jpg (172.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 32442365824_feefc8e5d7_b.jpg (175.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 33285412865_6be794cd60_b.jpg (182.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 33244231646_37c0acb804_c.jpg (133.0 KB, 14 views)
ntaw likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-17, 01:57 PM

Well that looks fancy! Is that the Sanguinor and Dante on the inside cover right there? Would be nice for that character to be elaborated on.

Is it just me or does basically all 40k art get the proportions of Space Marines in armour a little off? I seems so rare to see shoulder pads and backpacks done to 'model correct' proportions.

40k Related Projects
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-17, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

The Sanguinor plays a big role in the book, and we see more of the Blood Angels relationship with it.
ntaw likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-17, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The Sanguinor plays a big role in the book, and we see more of the Blood Angels relationship with it.
Well, I'm sold. Gunna pick up both this book and Mephiston next time I'm in at Chapters.

Any salient spoilers about their interaction that won't ruin the plot?

40k Related Projects
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-17, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Well, I'm sold. Gunna pick up both this book and Mephiston next time I'm in at Chapters.

Any salient spoilers about their interaction that won't ruin the plot?
Cant really say much about it. But I have an inkling of whats going to happen to Baal rather soon, if the prophecy is going to come to. You have to live with this teaser.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode