Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

18 books primarchs series over 4 years

29K views 87 replies 24 participants last post by  evanswolves 
#1 · (Edited)
18 heroes in 18 novels across four years

The superhuman sons of the Emperor are more than just demi-gods of battle. They're also fascinating, complex characters... and soon you'll be able to read a whole lot more about them.

Each of the 18 volumes in this premium collection will tell an iconic tale of one of the galaxy's greatest heroes, during or perhaps even after the events of the Horus Heresy.

The series launches in May, with the story of the Avenging Son, master of the XIII Legion, Roboute Guilliman.

Right from the email blast that just landed in my inbox.
I simply LOVE that Black Library is getting up in gear again!

See less See more
#3 ·
Let's be honest here, there are a number of primarchs that only a single BL author has done them true justice. Take Lorgar Aurelian- hands down this is ADB's bad boy. I mean, you can argue that this novella is already published. The same goes with ADB's claim to Night Haunter, although I will admit I could live with Abnett writing him after his bloody overpowered badarsery in The Unremembered Empire. And speaking of Abnett and his writing in TUE, I'd put Roboute Guilliman squarely in his corner alongside Alpharius and Omegon. He took a primarch I've always been 'meh' about (Guilliman) and turned him into someone I'd sit down with over a glass of wine. Although I have not forgiven Abnett for the atrocity that was his handling of Prospero Burns and I want him as far away from Russ as possible. I want to actually read about my beloved primarch and not some random human perpetual that he decides to pull from the woodwork.

The other primarchs i'm not sure about, though I keep leaning towards ADB for Angron as well. :laugh: ADB just writes the primarchs too well!

#5 ·
Who should do who, in my opinion;

Lion El'Jonson - Gav Thorpe
Fulgrim - Unsure
Perturabo - Graham McNeill
Jaghatai Khan - Chris Wraight
Leman Russ - Chris Wraight
Rogal Dorn - John French
Konrad Curze - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Sanguinius - James Swallow
Ferrus Manus - Anybody, he's just so damn boring and no writer has yet established him as a character I like. So I really don't care who does him.
Angron - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Roboute Guilliman - Dan Abnett
Mortarion - Anyone, nobody has really claimed him in a way.
Magnus the Red - Graham McNeill
Horus Lupercal - Dan Abnett
Lorgar Aurelian - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Vulkan - Nick Kyme
Corvus Corax - Gav Thorpe
Alpharius Omegon - Rob Sanders

I think the authors that have been writing about particular Legions, and have shown they understand the character of the respective Primarch, should be the one to write about said Primarch. Annandale writing about Guilliman is... mixed news I think. He's just so all over the place with writing quality, on the one hand you have the terrifying The Traveller and the wonderfully atmospheric Damnation of Pythos, and on the other hand the poorly edited, characterised and structured Death of Antagonis and the dull Typhus the Traveller shorts (Not to mention his desire to inject his Mary Sue character Setheno into all his main 40k stories.) Hopefully we'll have another Pythos and not another Antagonis with his take on the Avenging Son.

LotN

#44 ·
Who should do who, in my opinion;

Lion El'Jonson - ADB
Fulgrim - Graham McNeill
Perturabo - John French
Jaghatai Khan - Chris Wraight
Leman Russ - Chris Wraight
Rogal Dorn - John French
Konrad Curze - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Sanguinius - Anyone but James Swallow
Ferrus Manus - Rob Saunders (because of his small blurrs in Wrath of Iron).
Angron - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Roboute Guilliman - Dan Abnett
Mortarion - Chris Wraight.
Magnus the Red - Graham McNeill
Horus Lupercal - Dan Abnett
Lorgar Aurelian - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Vulkan - Nick Kyme
Corvus Corax - Gav Thorpe
Alpharius Omegon - Rob Sanders/Dan Abnett
Fix'd!

#6 ·
Sorry but Gav Thorpe should not be allowed to do any of them.:ireful2:

Cost once again will raise its ugly head but at least this is over 4 years, we shouldn't be getting too spammed with books.

There has been some discussion about why they are not releasing the books in Legion order, obviously there are a lot of Papa Smurf haters out there, but I think Gooleyman will make a good first read.

#8 ·
Indeed, and his Raven Guard stories (Deliverance Lost, Soulforge, Ravenlord) all show that he has a great grasp of what makes Corax tick. I think he is the ideal writer to pen the Lion and the Ravenlord's origin stories.

LotN

#10 ·
Hmm I don't know. He could do Sanguinius's darker side justice, but could he capture the Great Angel's innate humanity, ethereal majesty and the essence that made him the greatest of the Emperor's Sons?? Not really sure.

LotN

#28 ·
Extra sploosh? I question the necessity of the book, but I'm very happy with the author. If anything, I would like to see him add a bit more of the old space wolf humor to the character. Dour fucks do not the space wolves make.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Since these books appearently will revolve around iconic tales of the primarchs. Do you folks have any idea to what they could be or contenders for them? As in known legends of the primarchs that hasnt been touched on so far, or at least only in passing.

Given how little some of them has been fleshed out, especially with belicose Ferrus Manus dying before getting much screentime at all. I wonder how much they are needing to invent to fill out the books.

#22 ·
From B&S... this is from BL's facebook page:

That’s right guys,
A brand new series is coming!
One of things that we've been asked since the Horus Heresy began, is when you'll get to see more of the origin stories of the primarchs, and what they got up to during the Great Crusade.
Well this series answers those questions (some of them).
An 18-book series of novels that will feature each of the primarchs in an iconic story, whether that be the tale of their discovery by the Emperor, the saga of an ancient brotherly rivalry, or a chronicle of them leading their Legion to war at the apex of the Great Crusade.
Anyone want to take a guess as to which story each primarch will have?

My only guess would be the Lion's book will feature the story of the Lion and Russ' rivalry.

Mortarion's origin story would be fantastic... that's one of my favourites.

Angron - I would definitely like to know more about the Emperor's meeting with him and why he made the decisions he did regarding Angron.

#26 ·
My suspicion would be that Fulgrim's could be when the Emperor's discovers him. Not because it's particularly remarkable but because it then leads to him meeting his Legion of 300 and meeting Ferrus. That's such a formative part of the IIIrd legion background I would think that might be a good place for them to mine for literature.

#38 ·
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/primarchs-remind-me.html

Ye gods, an 18 books first edition series that is limited to 2500 books in stock? I could stomach a large first edition series if it was persistently from a high end author like adb or abnett.

But a long first edition series with mid tier authors too in the mix? Im gonna wait for the ebook versions, doesnt really feel worth it for an 18 books series. Even more so if they turn out to not be properly sized, as BL seems to love doing small books these days to trust their definition of novels in blind faith alone for a first edition series.

At least the Black Legion series put out a healthilly sized book as its first offering by a top author and is a series I want to support.

#39 ·
What's the estimates out there for price? Ifs it's anymore than £25 I would be pretty miffed. The age of sigmar limited editions are stunning books, (contents are shite, but nice books, bought the first two and gave up) I think the nicest they have done yet. They are £25 so no reason for these to be more.

#41 ·
You're probably right although I think at 40-45 a pop they don't stand a chance of selling 2500 limited editions 18 times. The number of limited editions coming out per release has been going down generally. So I was hopeful given the AoS releases pricing it might be more realistically proved at 25!

#42 ·
The standard hardbacks are on Amazon, america, pre order For $17.50 retail. That's the same price as the beast arises books. So I'm expecting similar size and length. Can't see the limited editions going to crazy prices if the hardbacks are going to retail at a sensible price.

I love the length of the beast novels, maybe in the minority on that but it suits me. I can usually easily read one in a week even if I'm really busy and I like a variety of stories. Some of the weighty heresy novels have felt like a huge drag, especially if during the read I have bought a couple of other books that I'm keen to get at.

#43 · (Edited)
18 heroes in 18 novels across four years

The superhuman sons of the Emperor are more than just demi-gods of battle. They're also fascinating, complex characters... and soon you'll be able to read a whole lot more about them.

Wait....Robute was blind this whole time?! WOW!

NEVER FEAR! I BASHED SOME NAILS INTO IT AND NOW IT'S FIXED.
Black Library can get in contact with me and we can sort out some kind of payment method. I mean, forgetting to paint the eyes on Robute is a bit of a noob mistake. I bet they'd feel pretty fucking stupid if they published books with a blind Robute on the cover.

Attachments

#47 ·
That assumes Vulkan is actually in the book.

Alpharius Omegon - Rob Sanders/Dan Abnett!
No! Dan Abnett doesn't get the Alpha Legion, not the way Rob Sanders does. Sanders is the only author I will accept for the Sons of the Hydra.

Perturabo - John French
Also no! French just had Perturabo as the Angry Marine Primarch, randomly crippling a marine who gave him bad news and just being ANGRY!!! all the time. McNeill gave us an incredible complex character who ultimately was a human man with great and beautiful dreams that nobody bothered to care about.

LotN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.