Professionals Entering Monthly Competitions - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 11:05 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Full disclosure: I have won two Golden Demons and a Silver and was a full-time professional painter for about 5 years. I have yet to enter the comps here because of time constraints. With more high-level entries I may pit myself against them though.
Nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 12:25 AM
Closet Dictator

Oldman78's Flag is: Ireland

I have yet to take part in any these monthly challenges and really only start voting recently, I see no problem with "pros" taking part as a lot of non pro heresy members often wipe the floor with them from what I can see, at the end of the day it is a friendly competition, let us keep it that way

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 02:33 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Thanks, Tawa and RedCorsair.

I agree Oldman. The fact that people get paid to paint doesn't make them that much better to make it unfair IMHO.

Ntaw, keep entering the comps, regardless of the level of competition. You don't get better by competing against shitty competition. You'll improve over time. I've been painting minis for longer than a lot of you guys have been alive and most of that time was without the tremendous amount of information at hand that there is nowadays. I still learn something new with almost every miniature I do.

I don't have a ton of stuff online anymore but my CMoN page is Here for those interested.

Abandon GW, win back your wallet. Play Infinity!
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 03:00 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Oh man, if I had to learn how I paint without the internet I would have taken eons to improve. Even just my interactions on this site have been invaluable to my growing skill and confidence.

You have some awesome work posted up on that site DeathKlokk, I particularly like the Banshees and Death Jester.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 03:07 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I haven't partaken of any of the comps because of time, but I do like looking to see what cool things everyone what is doing.

Before commenting on this I re-read the rules for the conversion death match. I think the inestimable Mr. Klokk has his finger on the real question, "What is the intent of these competitions?"

Clearly, the simplest interpretation of the intent is to encourage forum participation. And perhaps it's fair to say the secondary goal is to encourage and recognize the growing skills in our community. So, is that end served better by allowing ringers/pros to compete with the hobbyists?

It seems to me that as long as the pros (whoever they are) aren't let loose to run roughshod over everyone else then their skills and contributions add luster to the competition.

Based on the comp rules this isn't necessarily a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the rules View Post
11. Winners from the previous month are able to participate in the next month's Deathmatch, but are not eligible to win in consecutive months.
Unless there is a revolving group of pros trading off victories there would seem to be enough opportunities for the hobbyists to compete as well. And besides, would it be worth the accolades for a pro to best the hobbyist competition every month? If things were that static then perhaps these rules should be reevaluated again.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 10-07-14 at 03:10 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 03:30 AM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

I will admit at times i have thought that there is no point in me entering because of pros. but that means not entering now because i need to get better, sometimes i paint something and think "hey yeah that's good" then i see what awesome things people create on here and realise shit i need to do better. so i go into the painting section and lookup any hints and tips from the pros then proceed to try and better myself.

then i make a horrible mess and drink a lot.... or the other way round

if i got 1 or 2 votes in the painting challenge. i would appreciate it more if i got them when there are pros entering because im on my way to matching up. if i won because all the other entries had decided to drink there paints rather then use them it wouldn't feel so good.

if we remove pro painters from the challenges then we are penalising people because they are good which is pointless

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 10:56 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
I don't have a ton of stuff online anymore but my CMoN page is Here for those interested.
That standard bearer makes me want to do an "Imperial" Blood Axe army now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-14, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I think the inestimable Mr. Klokk has his finger on the real question, "What is the intent of these competitions?"

Clearly, the simplest interpretation of the intent is to encourage forum participation. And perhaps it's fair to say the secondary goal is to encourage and recognize the growing skills in our community.
My intent in running them is to give Heretics an opportunity to have fun.

For me, they aren't about who is objectively best. They are about having an opportunity to push yourself to your limits in search of a better model or story. To say I think this is good work and am not afraid to put it to the test.

The rules of each competition are equally broad on what is good work: the Painting Deathmatch includes 'improvement' as a possible criteria, so someone could chose to vote for an entrant because they did wet blending for the first time; the Conversion Deathmatch awards equal honour to having a cool idea as it does to skill.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-08-14, 10:29 AM
Belovoj's Flag is: Czech Republic

simple opinion from me: the better my opponents in competitions are, the more pleasure from entering and competing them I have. there will always be a difference between skill levels and IMHO that's the point of competition - to try to get better then everybody else :D it would be too easy if everybody was the same skill level at the beginning ;)

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-14, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Thank you to everyone who commented, and for the polite manner in which you expressed your opinions.

Well, I think everyone who wanted to has had time to comment, so I am making a decision.

Spending time doing something makes you better at it, whether or not you are being paid.

In addition, any definition of professional is always going to be an arbitrary line somewhere between never having painted a miniature for another person and only painting miniatures in exchange for money.

So, the monthly deathmatches will remain open to members who might count as professionals in that aspect of the hobby, but voters can choose to take the career into account if they feel it is relevant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode