Professionals Entering Monthly Competitions - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 04:06 AM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

It is a competition and you see not so good (like me ) and really good like Nordicus entering almost every month. I am not discouraged against enterig even though they are a lot better than me. I want to see if my work matches their work.

There is not much if any difference in the quality with pros and amateurs. Like this months top three (my selections) were all neck and neck and the rest of the field close by.

Honestly if Thierry Henry or Ronaldo would want to compete in football against us would you ban him from entering or be honoured by his presence and try to beat him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 02:11 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Everyone can and should be able to enter, I've no problem throwing in my models against someone that makes money for it. It's all part of the fun for me, the only thing I'd get pissed about is a 'better than you' attitude from anyone which I haven't seen.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Last edited by ntaw; 10-04-14 at 04:37 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 04:07 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I see no problem with it myself - It's a painting competition after all, and everyone is welcome.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 05:36 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

It is a painting competition it is designed to put ones skills up against another. It is for fun and for bragging rights nothing more there is no prize money. I don't see a problem with pro's entering. I like competition I know I would never win a painting one but it would be fun to see where my skills compare to people that get paid.

As stated there are many non paid painter that paint as good or better than the pro's. If people don't want to enter because they aren't going to beat the pro's then they missed the point of entering. It is to have fun and show off your work that is why the competition was started.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 06:30 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I might not be at any level of winning but if I can get a vote or two I'm more than happy!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 10:07 AM

raven_jim's Flag is: United Kingdom

I prefer having professionals, I got into the hobby to paint. Seeing these models that are vastly superior to the ones I paint pushes me into learning new skills, as an amateur I like the opportunity to swing with the big dogs

Eldar W15-D3-L1 no longer play

Marines W9-D1-L4

Nids W1-D1-L1 no longer play

Chaos W1-D0-L0
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 10:28 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I don't have a problem with it. It's just more glory if you manage to beat people who do this for commission.

It's not like there's an actually prize for this contest other than a virtual cookie. I see it as more a way to find the motivation to finish projects and post up my finished work.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

It depends on what the intent of the contest is. If we are intending to find the best painters on the site with the contest then yes the pros should be allowed. If we are trying to encourage members to participate in a friendly competition that would be completely blown out of the water by the pros then maybe not. Perhaps we could have a tiered competition with Amateur and Advanced levels or something?

Full disclosure: I have won two Golden Demons and a Silver and was a full-time professional painter for about 5 years. I have yet to enter the comps here because of time constraints. With more high-level entries I may pit myself against them though.

Abandon GW, win back your wallet. Play Infinity!
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 02:40 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

well shit. Never thought of it like that before, with one pro comes more. At the same time though, having a tiered system would be about as belittling as being blown out of the water in a 'for fun' competition by a Golden Demon winner. I would still rather lose to a pro than be top of the amateurs (and even that's a bit lofty for my skills), but I'm the type of person that plays games on the hardest setting first for the challenge. Not everyone enjoys that level of preceived difficulty, I just play the game against myself and let the AI be the judge of my skills; much like I will keep entering competitions here as time allows, compete against my last entry and gague my improvements against those of the other contestants. Even being considered for a vote in that arena is an almost humbling thought.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Last edited by ntaw; 10-06-14 at 02:45 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 03:09 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Full disclosure: I have won two Golden Demons and a Silver and was a full-time professional painter for about 5 years. I have yet to enter the comps here because of time constraints. With more high-level entries I may pit myself against them though.
Wow, I didn't know that, good work mate. Anywhere we can view those entries?

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode