Monthly Conversion Deathmatch - Announcement and Questions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Default Monthly Conversion Deathmatch - Announcement and Questions

Greetings Heretics.

Announcing the

Heresy-Online Monthly Conversion Deathmatch

Starting in May Heresy Online will be offering the same opportunity to display your converting skills and shape your reputation as a renowned converter (to get the pun out of the way as soon as possible ) that we already offer painters.

Draft Rules

Format

Each month there will be an entry thread.

Before you start the conversion post a picture of the model (the before picture) in the entry thread before the end of the month. Then post a picture of the model after the conversion (the after picture) thread before the end of the month. Entrants are also permitted to post a short (no more than two sentence) description of what the conversion represents (e.g. my chapter are a fusion of the Space Wolves and the Minotaurs so I converted a Doombull to be Chapter Master).

Voting

At the end of the month a voting thread will be created containing the before and after pictures of each entry.

To vote for winners simply post in the voting thread.

There are two categories:

Most Innovative Idea

This category covers the pure imagination that fuels conversions so is for the cleverest idea irrespective of technical execution

Best Executed Idea

As well as ideas conversions are works of technical skill, so this category covers the ability to make a converted model look as if it has always been that way irrespective of how ambitious the change was.

Each member may vote once for each of the two categories stating who they think should win. Entrants must cast a vote for each category and cannot vote for themselves; anyone who does not vote cannot win.

After one week the votes will be totally and the winners announced.

Reward

The primary reward for this contest is knowing your conversion skills are admired. However there will also be a small Rep award to both winners.

FAQ

Are there any categories or themes?

Currently any model or unit can be entered. However, there might be themed contests for special events or holidays (e.g. Christmas).

Can I vote for the same person in both categories?

Yes. Although they are separate categories so entries should be considered for concept and realisation.

I am extensively converting a model so it will take longer than a month. Can I still enter?

If your conversion can be broken down into sub-parts (e..g arms, legs, head) then each distinct sub-part can be entered as a separate conversion.

I have just started a conversion. Can I still enter?

If the before picture makes it clear exactly what has already been done then this is not different from a longer conversion that it split across more than one month so is acceptable.

As many people did not know the competition was coming this decision is designed to not penalise converters for converting so will be closely reviewed during the first month and might change.

Do I need to post progress pictures?

As taking pictures can take time progress pictures are not mandatory; however, they will show people how you did the conversion so could both help you win the Best Executed Idea and give your fellow heretics pointers on how to improve their own skills.

How much of a conversion does it need to be? Can I enter a kit-bashed model?

Anything that is not out-of-the-box (including kit-bashing) can be entered. however, the winners are chosen for clever ideas and dexterous work so more complex changes might receive more votes.

Does the before picture need to show the model I am converting or can I post a picture of the sprues?

The before-after pair can be viewed as the same as the before-after shots on slimming and exercise advertisements, so the before picture should show the base upon which the work was done just before the conversion starts.

In most cases this will be the single underlying model onto which the putty/other parts are added, e.g a Minotaur torso.

If there is no underlying majority model because, for example your conversion is made from many kits, the conversion work begins before any assembly is done or is even made from scratch, then a picture of the parts is acceptable.

How does rules versioning work?

The rules will be reviewed through out the contest. If any of the rules need to be changed then the changes will be announced and the new rules confirmed a few days before the end of the month and will apply from the following month. For example, the rule set for May 2012 will be set on 28 April 2012 after which no changes will apply until after May.

Hopefully this is clear; however, if there are any queries post them in this thread and we will clarify the Rules or FAQ.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 04-28-12 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 06:33 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Will models posted be required to be completely paint-free?

For example, people assembling models that have been primed or bits of those converted models have been primed.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 06:40 PM

This will be great for the modellers to have a chance to show off their skills in competition.

I'll also add here that the Monthly Painting Challenge has now been renamed the Monthly Painting Deathmatch to run alongside this event as well as avoid further confusion between that and humakt's Army Challenge.

Regards,
Jake.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc View Post
Will models posted be required to be completely paint-free?

For example, people assembling models that have been primed or bits of those converted models have been primed.
As painting is sometime easier before assembly is completed the after picture does not have to be bare plastic/metal. However, this competition is for conversion not painting so any painted areas should be there to avoid difficulty painting the model later. If anyone attempts to abuse this then then the rules may change in the future.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 06:59 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

As someone who's a deeply mediocre painter (and therefore would never consider entering a painting competition) but thrives on converting things, I welcome this!

Roll on May...

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 07:02 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
As someone who's a deeply mediocre painter (and therefore would never consider entering a painting competition) but thrives on converting things, I welcome this!

Roll on May...
I don't know if you're really experienced enough Svart... having seen your works, I dunno

Edit: Self-deprecating humour doesn't come across typing, the man is a god.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 07:42 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

If I enter a kit-bashed model, does the before picture have to be of an empty base?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 08:12 PM
ItsPug's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
If I enter a kit-bashed model, does the before picture have to be of an empty base?
Why? You thinking of kitbashing a tau stealthsuit?

To be fair I think you'd need to show the parts as well. unless it is a stealthsuit

Overall Tournament Game Results W:78 D:22 L:32
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt
If I am building a conversion straight from the box, can I just take pics of the box or boxes used or di you want sprue pictures?
The before-after pair can be viewed as the same as the before-after shots on slimming and exercise advertisements, so the before picture should show the base upon which the work was done just before the conversion starts.

In most cases this will be the single underlying model onto which the putty/other parts are added, e.g a Minotaur torso.

If there is no underlying majority model because, for example your conversion is made from many kits, the conversion work begins before any assembly is done or is even made from scratch, then a picture of the parts is acceptable.

To ensure that the playing field is level the rules for May will be fixed on 28 April, after which changes or amendments (if any) will only be considered for later months. So make sure you post any questions here as soon as possible.

Remember that the before picture is the starting point for voters to see how impressive the after picture is.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 04-17-12 at 11:44 AM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 11:41 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

This sounds great! I'll se what I can have in store for May. I know I have a couple of Looted wagons my meks just eager to lay their hands on.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode