Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Monthly Conversion Deathmatch - Announcement and Questions

18K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  Dave T Hobbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings Heretics.

Announcing the Heresy-Online Monthly Conversion Deathmatch

Starting in May Heresy Online will be offering the same opportunity to display your converting skills and shape your reputation as a renowned converter (to get the pun out of the way as soon as possible :)) that we already offer painters.

Draft Rules
Format
Each month there will be an entry thread.

Before you start the conversion post a picture of the model (the before picture) in the entry thread before the end of the month. Then post a picture of the model after the conversion (the after picture) thread before the end of the month. Entrants are also permitted to post a short (no more than two sentence) description of what the conversion represents (e.g. my chapter are a fusion of the Space Wolves and the Minotaurs so I converted a Doombull to be Chapter Master).

Voting

At the end of the month a voting thread will be created containing the before and after pictures of each entry.

To vote for winners simply post in the voting thread.

There are two categories:

Most Innovative IdeaThis category covers the pure imagination that fuels conversions so is for the cleverest idea irrespective of technical execution
Best Executed IdeaAs well as ideas conversions are works of technical skill, so this category covers the ability to make a converted model look as if it has always been that way irrespective of how ambitious the change was.

Each member may vote once for each of the two categories stating who they think should win. Entrants must cast a vote for each category and cannot vote for themselves; anyone who does not vote cannot win.

After one week the votes will be totally and the winners announced.

Reward
The primary reward for this contest is knowing your conversion skills are admired. However there will also be a small Rep award to both winners.

FAQ
Are there any categories or themes?
Currently any model or unit can be entered. However, there might be themed contests for special events or holidays (e.g. Christmas).
Can I vote for the same person in both categories?
Yes. Although they are separate categories so entries should be considered for concept and realisation.
I am extensively converting a model so it will take longer than a month. Can I still enter?
If your conversion can be broken down into sub-parts (e..g arms, legs, head) then each distinct sub-part can be entered as a separate conversion.
I have just started a conversion. Can I still enter?
If the before picture makes it clear exactly what has already been done then this is not different from a longer conversion that it split across more than one month so is acceptable.

As many people did not know the competition was coming this decision is designed to not penalise converters for converting so will be closely reviewed during the first month and might change.
Do I need to post progress pictures?
As taking pictures can take time progress pictures are not mandatory; however, they will show people how you did the conversion so could both help you win the Best Executed Idea and give your fellow heretics pointers on how to improve their own skills.
How much of a conversion does it need to be? Can I enter a kit-bashed model?
Anything that is not out-of-the-box (including kit-bashing) can be entered. however, the winners are chosen for clever ideas and dexterous work so more complex changes might receive more votes.
Does the before picture need to show the model I am converting or can I post a picture of the sprues?
The before-after pair can be viewed as the same as the before-after shots on slimming and exercise advertisements, so the before picture should show the base upon which the work was done just before the conversion starts.

In most cases this will be the single underlying model onto which the putty/other parts are added, e.g a Minotaur torso.

If there is no underlying majority model because, for example your conversion is made from many kits, the conversion work begins before any assembly is done or is even made from scratch, then a picture of the parts is acceptable.
How does rules versioning work?
The rules will be reviewed through out the contest. If any of the rules need to be changed then the changes will be announced and the new rules confirmed a few days before the end of the month and will apply from the following month. For example, the rule set for May 2012 will be set on 28 April 2012 after which no changes will apply until after May.

Hopefully this is clear; however, if there are any queries post them in this thread and we will clarify the Rules or FAQ.

See less See more
#2 ·
Will models posted be required to be completely paint-free?

For example, people assembling models that have been primed or bits of those converted models have been primed.

#4 ·
As painting is sometime easier before assembly is completed the after picture does not have to be bare plastic/metal. However, this competition is for conversion not painting so any painted areas should be there to avoid difficulty painting the model later. If anyone attempts to abuse this then then the rules may change in the future.

#3 ·
This will be great for the modellers to have a chance to show off their skills in competition.

I'll also add here that the Monthly Painting Challenge has now been renamed the Monthly Painting Deathmatch to run alongside this event as well as avoid further confusion between that and humakt's Army Challenge.

#6 ·
I don't know if you're really experienced enough Svart... having seen your works, I dunno :laugh:

Edit: Self-deprecating humour doesn't come across typing, the man is a god.

#11 ·
"I have just started a conversion. Can I still enter?"

If the before picture makes it clear exactly what has already been done then this is not different from a longer conversion that it split across more than one month so is acceptable.

As many people did not know the competition was coming this decision is designed to not penalise converters for converting so will be closely reviewed during the first month and might change.

#12 ·
Red Corsairs has asked whether he, as organiser of the Monthly Painting Deathmatch, can enter the Monthly Painting Deathmatch.

As the same question applies to me entering this Conversion Deathmatch I would appreciate any feedback on whether it is fair for me to enter the Conversion Deathmatch. I will not take offence if anyone objects for any reason.

#16 ·
I would have no issue with it, but I can equally understand why some would.

I would, if it were me, not enter this first one, even though all of us got plenty of advance warning, simply because I by definition knew about it first, granting me an advantage albeit an insignificant one. But then, the appearance of impropriety to me is hard to overstate. I always take great pains to make it obvious I was not acting improperly.

#27 ·
Remember the May contest closes midnight GMT on 31 May so there is still time to complete your entry for this month.

I will be confirming next week whether any rules changes are occurring for next month, so if you have any comments or suggestions can you post them here before Monday.

Reading through the rules, it seems the emphasis is on not-painting the model.
The emphasis is on displaying the conversion work done; whilst a picture of an unpainted model definitely gives a "pure" view of the conversion, painting that does not hide the work done does not disadvantage either the entrant or voters.

#29 ·
If I convert a model I have previously painted is it eligible to enter?

If you converted the model without stripping the paint then you do not need to strip the model just to enter the contest. However you do accept the risk that the conversion might seem less impressive if the model is painted.

#30 ·
This Deathmatch is about celebrating our attempts to convert models; so if the work has been done then the mechanism of the contest should not get in the way except where necessary:

I finished my conversion but was unable to post a photograph before the closing date. Is there anything that I can do?

Voting will not always start immediately after the closing date. Whilst the organiser makes no warranty, after photographs posted in the entry thread before the voting thread opens may still be accepted.

If you know in advance you will not be able to post an after photograph of the conversion in time then contact the competition organiser as soon as you know explaining your situation; at the organiser's discretion the closing date can be extended. For the sake of fairness this extension will apply to all entrants.

If you do not post an after picture then the organiser may choose to count a progress picture displaying significant progress as an after photograph.

#32 ·
I started one conversion that turned into something entirely different (well, spawned soething different, while the original idea was changed substantially and completed in a different way). My "before" picture is now only partially valid, whether I post up the original idea (which I accomplished in a different way and not entirely to my satisfaction) or, like I would prefer, the off-shoot project. I understand that it's expected that changes will occur as conversion exposes certain realities about the kits being bashed, but thought I would float this question:

Can I post the "before" of the original project and the "after" of the off-shoot, with only partial picture documentation of the change-over, or am I constrained to an "after" of the initial project, though some aspects of it changed in the process?

For clarification, the initial project was a scratch-built Thunderfire Cannon with Techmarine. While I was unhappy with the initial cannon for the purposes of a TFC, I thought it would make the barrels of an excellent quad gun, so I entirely scratch built an Aegis Defense Line with a quad gun. May I post the ADL as my conversion project for this month?

#34 ·
Can I post the "before" of the original project and the "after" of the off-shoot, with only partial picture documentation of the change-over, or am I constrained to an "after" of the initial project, though some aspects of it changed in the process?
The "before" picture is there to help people see what changes have been made, so you are fine to use the photograph of the original starting point if the plan changed mid-project.

Coda question: if I post one of those projects this month, may I also post the other next month? I realize this would be a violation of the "a project that you've done this month" guideline and would be totally fine with a "no" for an answer.
While planning can can be done in advance, the actual construction must be done between the start date of the entry period and the end date, so you could not enter any work done this month in next month's deathmatch.

However, if you do more work on an existing project it is acceptable to use a photograph of the project as-is as a "before" photograph and enter just the additions made.

#33 ·
Coda question: if I post one of those projects this month, may I also post the other next month? I realize this would be a violation of the "a project that you've done this month" guideline and would be totally fine with a "no" for an answer.

#36 ·
Two more additions to the FAQ:

Do all the parts have to be GW? If not is there a minimum percentage that have to be GW parts?

There is no requirement for the conversion to be for a GW game or to use any GW parts.

I converted several areas around the model; therefore my conversion looks better in three-dimensions. Can I submit several photographs of the finished product from different angles?

If you do not have the time or ability to make a photo montage you can post as many photographs in the entry thread as you wish.

To avoid voters potentially being overwhelmed by photographs of entries at the top of the list up to two photographs will be displayed in the voting thread. If you have a preference as to which photographs are displayed it should be indicated in the entry thread.

#37 ·
Another question: may I change entries? I'm working on several projects at once (as you might have seen on my Plog) and one is turning out rather more impressively than the entry I posted up initially in the December entry thread. I really think that the Daemon Prince I'm working on is a much stronger entry than my Fateweaver model.

May I drop my initial entry, then post a picture of a different project as it was at the beginning of the month?

#40 ·
An addition to the FAQ:

I just discovered the Deathmatch and would like to enter the conversion I started a few days ago. Can I use photographs of identical parts to those I used as my before picture?

Yes. The primary purpose of the before picture is to let voters assess how much inspiration and graft has gone into the conversion. It also lets people who want to try a similar conversion see which parts you used. By entering the competition you assert that you started the conversion in the relevant month anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.