Nippon - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-11, 04:21 PM

the_barwn's Flag is: Great Britain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 03:11 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Steven Newman, they were trained in the East, and Cathay is listed as one of them. Not to mention there is proof of the Under-Empire in Nippon.

But yeah, M4c's books are fairly rushed. I think he did each one in about 2 weeks work all told. Balance is skewed, to the sense that he did a Mat Ward, and put in "what's cool", and over simplified areas where real flair could be applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 12:22 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Fair enough. I was always under the impression that they were trained in Cathay.

Obviously I am wrong. Thanks for updating that info for me.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok what year, in our calendar, is warhammer roughly. I know it's set during the Renaissance, but that's 4 centuries.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 02:01 PM
Vaz

It's completely different all over.

Bretonnia is ~12th-14th Century, Empire is ~15th-17th Century. The Norse are distinctly Dark Age, pre-9th Century, while the Albion peoples are roughly described as neolithic with a semi-trogloditic attitude. The Estalian's were not capable of pushing out the Arabyan's, which is akin to the period of the Crusades and the relevant era or southern spain - so ~11th Century, while Tilea is around ~12th-15th Century.

Then there's the other races, such as the Classical Era Remas Republic, Khyprian Empire, and the pre-Sigmar tribes.

Nippon is based on the Samurai, and as the typical samurai is Warring States Japan, that makes the obvious fit.

Cathay is based on the Dynasties, which are fairly unbroken, following the defeat of the Mongol tribes in the Chinese mainland.

So, you've got a general period of 900 AD to 1700 AD.

The general consensus is;

Ashigaru Pikes and Bows = State Spears and Bowmen
Samurai = Greatswords/Halberds
Samurai Matchlocks - Handgunners
Yari Samurai - Lance Knightly Orders
Mounted Samurai - Great Weapon Knightly Orders
Rocket Batteries - erm... the Volley Gun

If you don't like that era, then you can always go earlier.

For example, I don't like the Dynasties of China for Cathay, I much prefer the Three Kingdoms.

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
I
So, you've got a general period of 900 AD to 1700 AD.
All I needed.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 08:39 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

hey dude http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_38 and these http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_39are what he uses in his army, sorry been trying to track him down on the club boards.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Does anyone know about Araby.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-11, 12:39 AM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Araby is largely the WFB equivalent of the peoples of the Middle East. As with Nippon and Cathy, there is not a whole lot out in terms of official stuff for them from either GW or the BL however they are mentioned a little more in the fluff and the Warmaster game has an Arabian army and an Arabian ship is featured in Dreadfleet. And like Nippon and Cathy and other less known WFB human civilizations there are fanmade rulebooks online.

Beyond that I can tell you that Araby been around for a long, long time. If I recall correctly they were around when Nehekhara was still a realm of the living and were (and still are) old enemies of the Nehekharan Kings. In the past there have been major wars between Araby and the northern human civilizations AKA the Crusades. Their culture is largely based off ancient Middle Eastern civilizations and beliefs. They do have Djinns under their control though I'm not exactly sure of the nature of these creatures.

That's about all I can remember about the official fluff but you can find more out there on the internet and in fanmade books.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-11, 03:43 PM
Vaz

The "Desert Peoples" were nomads at the time shortly following the creation of the Nehekharan Empire under Settra, although the land had been long civilised and the cities had been created by the successive rulers. Bel Aliad, I think it is, was the furthest east of the Desert Peoples, initially as a nomad country.

Whether the Desert Peoples were the original peoples who continued West when the Nehekharans settled is not known.

The two regularly fought, and even today, the Arabians raid Nehekhariya as they call it for gold.

The Arabians a few hundred years ago (1400 IC?) were ruled by a Sultan Jaffar (I believe he did marry the princess, despite being so old), and invaded Estalia - the Breton King declared an Errantry War, and indeed, many Empire Knightly Orders joined in - although more for the wealth - and raped them from Estalia and destroyed his power at the battle of El Haikk.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode