Warhammer Scenery - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Default Warhammer Scenery

Make or buy? If only we had the option! Seems to me like there are loads of towers for sale, which in the warhammer world would be quite rare, and few 'ordinary' buildings, which in the warhammer world would be quite common. I'm talking peasant shacks and hovels, town houses, merchant and wizard dwellings, inns, stables, storehouses, stuff like that. And as for the Warhammer castle! Like how boring is that? The creators of the excellent skullvane manse must surely be able to bring some life into this outdated model.
Well that's my rant. Comments welcome.

Happy gaming! 2RM.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 06-06-13 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-13, 09:50 PM

The reason they make those models is to go with the game rules.
Stuff like wizard towers, strange pools, woods and magical altars can all be haunted & have weird ongoing effects.
Whereas there's probably not much in-game mechanic for a town, stables or a hovel/shack.
Also, they need to have a relatively small footprint so that you can have games around them (which makes towers ideal for what GW wants from a kit).]

The big castle has been around for ages, so (if I recall correctly), it's the same model as it's always been (i.e. nowhere near comparable to what GW makes now).
It needs to be basic shapes so that you can convert the castle into whatever you want (Orc-ish, Shaven, Empire, Dwarfs, Chaos, etc).
But there's not much mileage for GW in making a really detailed Empire castle (like your example) & adding loads of extra details onto it, as not many people would buy it because it's more specific (e.g. scenario's & scenery) rather than something that a lot of people can use in most -or every- game.

I'm surprised that they haven't done any Elvish forts yet, though.

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.

Last edited by andygorn; 06-05-13 at 10:04 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-13, 11:34 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The problem with the lack of mundane buildings is the settlement result on the terrain table. Most of the other results are a single, potentially special, building; settlement is several buildings and a series of small walls. It is certainly the result I am most likely to ignore/reroll for lack of physreps.

So more small buildings that match the GW style would probably do reasonably well among players who do not want to spend ages building scenery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode