Not So Grim-Dark? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 11:49 PM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

I'm a fantasy player at heart and while I read 40k novels and even started by playing 40k I always end up back in the fantasy setting.

On the outside fantasy doesn't seem as dark but if you scratch the surface and read into stuff or even just let your imagination go it's actually a very dark setting. I think the main reason people don't see it as being as dark as 40k is that there's more of a comedy element to fantasy which is actually pushed more by the players building themed armies rather than devs purposely pushing it in that direction. That said, even the comedy elements have a darker side.

The Empire vs Chaos is what most people immediately think of in fantasy and even that's pretty dark when you think of secret chaos worshippers and the threat of witch hunts. Also with the empire covered mostly in forest it's only really the larger settlements that are in anyway safe and even they have skaven living underneath ready to pour out at any time.

40k seems darker I think because you don't really think too much about people's lives in general whereas fantasy is set in a world where war has a direct effect on peoples lives as in their jobs and homes - in 40k it's never really put into the narrative so it's JUST war, you don't see the 'everyday people' and therefore it's darker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-13, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Good points all. Another thing occured to me when I read through the Daemons of Chaos Army book -- there is no where else to go.

In 40k, yes the average citizen is pretty much hide bound to his planet and usually to his work zone/district. But at the end of the day the Imperium has 1 million worlds between it and extinction.

If you think about it -- Fantasy has no where to go. If a Daemonic Incursion the size of the Warp Gate Rifts on the poles happened in 40k -- there would be Exterminatus declared and the entire ordeal concluded.

In Fantasy they can't do that. There is no leaving and all the arcane magic in the world cannot close those rifts. So if you look at it that way, and the fact that Chaos cannot ever be truly defeated -- the entire world is simply living on borrowed time.

I also suppose Fantasy has a more personal aspect to it. In 40k we regularly see millions die, or even billions in the span of three sentances. We don't feel much empathy and these lives become statistics. Who cares if 100 billion people die screaming ... in an Imperium of 500 trillion or so. If 200,000 people die screaming in Fantasy -- it would likely be a huge ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 12:23 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good points Black Guard and I totally agree. Most of the Empire novels in fantasy are fairly bleak encounters where there are crap resources in somewhere that has seen better days that has to take on superhuman enemies to stop the whole Empire falling. Most of the time it comes down to one person doing something who usually ends up dying anyway.

Although I'm sure Gaunt would disagree with me, I'm pretty sure the actions of one guardsman mean diddly squat. Let's say he manages to save the day...In one battle...On one world...In one star system against one of the myriad enemies of the Imperium. I love the guard for being that one man who takes on everything with a laser pointer and a t-shirt but he's not really going to achieve much.

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-13, 05:25 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Personally I like the WFB fluff better. Dunno. I just like swordfights better than gunfights.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-13, 06:20 PM
Rattlehead

'An Ogre trusts his club, and will only eat it in the direst of circumstances'. Rhinoxen Lifting. Hell, Ogres in general.

Fantasy won't be grimdark so long as there are Ogres in the fluff.

I really like the fluff for Fantasy as it feels like battles are profound due to the world being just that; a world, not an entire galaxy. However, for the same reason, I dislike the current Fantasy meta (c'mon, how many Wizards in the fluff are Level 4? They're supposed to be rare and vastly powerful, not a dime a dozen).

Characters in Fantasy also mean more to me in lore as there is more 'you' in your character - in 40k, I'll take a Librarian with Mastery 2, Divination/Telepathy, and Terminator Armour if I'm running Deathwing. This appears to be the standard loadout that Company Masters everywhere give to their Librarians, often 2 to a strike force. Fantasy, I can run even just a Bruiser as a tank (Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance), a challenger (Giantbreaker, Heavy Armour, Brace of Ogre Pistols), a unit-killer (Sword of Bloodshed and Enchanted Shield), pretty much however I want, and he'll have a story - unlike 40k, he's not just another dude in another army. This makes the setting less grimdark and a little more personal - faceless Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. My Tyrant dies? That's a tragedy.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 03:19 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post

However, for the same reason, I dislike the current Fantasy meta (c'mon, how many Wizards in the fluff are Level 4? They're supposed to be rare and vastly powerful, not a dime a dozen).

Well how many wizards are there other than those level 4 characters?

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 04:48 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you look at what L4 is, you have Slann (around ~50-100 at most). These have had millenia to perfect their arts learned direct from a gods writings. Teclis is the greatest mage ever seen since Dragontamer even without his items and he has had a hundred or years in the most magical of nations. An elven prophetess to an entire nation of humans. The HEAD of the complete colleges of wizardry. A dragon possessed by a greater daemon of change and consequently magic. A vampire of unimaginable power risen from the dead. A vampire taught by nagash teachings, and the teachings of one third hand to nagash's influence and who enslaved a dragon to his will. An immortal who was taught by nagash himself.

These are once in a generation paragons: however they are trotted out in every game (and manage to blow themselves up in every game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 01:32 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
If you look at what L4 is....
The fluff scale and the game scale are different measures: game Lvl measures only the ability to function on a battlefield. Teclis, the Slaan, &c. have immense power to do other non-battlefield magics and rituals, some well beyond the ability of a normal wizard, but that does not mean that a relatively common - for wizards - wizard cannot be in the top 25% of battlefield magic users as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
These are once in a generation paragons: however they are trotted out in every game (and manage to blow themselves up in every game).
The number of special characters who turn up to every tiny battle is unrealistic. It also takes the fun out of killing them if you can do it more than once in each a tournament.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:11 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
Well how many wizards are there other than those level 4s
In game? All Hero level characters, ever, and most Lords. In lore? Pretty much all Mages are level 1 and 2, with a couple level 3s and then a very small class of level 4s (usually only those with both great magical aptitude and decades, if not centuries of experience are level 4, with powerful wizards such as college leaders being mostly level 3, maybe edging into 4 if they're really shit hot).

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode