Are Elves Gay? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Default Are Elves Gay?

So I stumbled across a link to Gav Thorpe's blog where he answered a fan's question of Elf sexuality and thought it was, at the least, a very interesting read.

http://mechanicalhamster.wordpress.c...are-elves-gay/

Enjoy

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 08:57 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

It was certainly interesting read. I would both agree with the poster and disagree to a point, though more the former than the latter. There certainly wouldn't be anything wrong with it if that were in fact the case.

However.......
" it also seems natural to me that a mortal with such a long lifespan would surely experience some homoerotic affairs."

...... would disagree with this to some extent.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 09:31 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Surely one for warhammer fluff not 40k?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 09:37 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
It technically applies to Eldar too - they're just elves in space (who are much more responsible for the creation of Chaos, but ah well).

On to the main point, I would have to only agree partially. Some will be, just as with humans, but not all. At first glance, I thought this would be speculation based on their low birth rate, but that's (as far as I know) mainly infertility problems and avoidance of Slaanesh.

Of course, that last points adds to it - the claim that their lifespan leads to such feelings is illogical, as they'd probably try to avoid them to avoid feeding Slaanesh. Elves and Eldar both hate Chaos, it's just Eldar are much more scared as they created him/her/it, yes?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
*cough* I don't know what you're talking about...

But yeah, moved to Warhammer due to the references in the article dealing solely with the WHF universe.

I'm just too damned used to only posting in 40k...

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 12:27 AM
Craw-Daddy

I was assuming most Elves were bi-sexual. But I don't it's too hard to imagine there is a gay population within Elves society. I don't think Eldar as a whole population are gay though.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 01:09 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Are elves gay?
Does bears shit in the woods?
Did Gav ruin both CSM and CD (amongst others) codices?
[enter moar questions with a simple "yes" answer here]

Ofc they are gay!!

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 02:35 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Granted I've not read an enormous amount of stuff but the only clear indication of sexuality I have seen from any race in WHFB or 40k is the Dark Eldar who were very clearly shown to be hetrosexual.

Iguess the real question isn't "Are Elves Gay" but more "why should we care?"
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 06:35 AM

Pandora's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc View Post
*cough* I don't know what you're talking about...

But yeah, moved to Warhammer due to the references in the article dealing solely with the WHF universe.

I'm just too damned used to only posting in 40k...
Suppose you did mean Eldar ...

I can't speak for Craftworlders but Commorites probably have sex with anything that moves. They are given to same excesses of Slaanesh after all.

Evil is like shadow. It hides in the tiny cracks, biding its time until the Light fades.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 06:58 PM

But Elves aren't Humans, so why would they share the same sexual make-up as us? We've got 2 main groups, Heterosexual and Homosexual, with smaller groups of people being Bisexual, Asexual and any other variation on the theme of Human sexuality that I've missed. There are contentions about which of these is the 'correct' one, but that is more to do with our outlook on what constitutes a gender, and what is 'correct' for that gender to desire sexually.
Elves' sexuality is going to be conditioned by their extended lives. Once you strip away (sorry!) the need to focus on getting someone you want and having kids with them being one of the prime movers of society, might you not then become more about what's in a prospective partner's head, rather than in their pants? Certainly, there will be those who prefer those of a particular gender; but absent attitudes that say that any particular gender-pairing is wrong, moving outside of that established preference will have no repercussions.
If Human society moved past the differences in the genders mediating what is appropriate in terms of what is right and wrong, then I reckon it wouldn't be long before Humans are like the Elves. The longer lifespan, though, would allow for more time being spent on establishing a relationship on levels that might appear smothering to us, now, but with the benefit of time and luxury of choice, might become natural.

GFP

That didn't come out the way I was thinking it. It sort of gets across what I'm wanting to get at, but is a lot more clumsy. Hey ho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode