Ghoul fluff - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-12, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Ghoul fluff

Right so we know ghouls are devolved cannibals that are cowardly etc etc

My question, are ghouls a seperate specie? Or do humans become a ghoul in a single life time?

Do they have a semblance of a society, of familial groups? We only ever see male ghouls, are their female ghouls and young ghouls?

Ghouls fluff wise have never quite fitted together for my liking, trying to figure out why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-12, 08:43 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Ghouls have been warped by background necromantic energies (hence why they count-as undead) but have very similar appearance abilities, &c., so I would say ghoulism was a stable mutation. The difficulty I have with determining whether it is enough to make them a separate species is that almost all the evidence is provided by tabletop miniatures so it could be:

(1) they are a separate asexual species that reproduces by weak willed people on the edge of vampire lands slipping off into the woods and changing

(2) they are a separate sexual species who:
(i) display no external sexual characteristics (i.e.some of the tabletop ghouls are female) or;
(ii) leave the females at home to care for the young because necromantic energies slow down breeding so children are extremely rare and hence valuable.

(3) They are still human so breed mostly among themselves but also by taking advantage of people who are not killed in a vampire invasion.

The fluff seems to hint at devolved tribes, so I incline toward them having a society and still being human enough to interbreed but probably not sane enough to care.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-12, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Ghouls have been warped by background necromantic energies (hence why they count-as undead) but have very similar appearance abilities, &c., so I would say ghoulism was a stable mutation. The difficulty I have with determining whether it is enough to make them a separate species is that almost all the evidence is provided by tabletop miniatures so it could be:

(1) they are a separate asexual species that reproduces by weak willed people on the edge of vampire lands slipping off into the woods and changing

(2) they are a separate sexual species who:
(i) display no external sexual characteristics (i.e.some of the tabletop ghouls are female) or;
(ii) leave the females at home to care for the young because necromantic energies slow down breeding so children are extremely rare and hence valuable.

(3) They are still human so breed mostly among themselves but also by taking advantage of people who are not killed in a vampire invasion.

The fluff seems to hint at devolved tribes, so I incline toward them having a society and still being human enough to interbreed but probably not sane enough to care.
It seems that female ghouls do fight. In Red Duke

He did claim to have seen and fought a large number of undead and unholy creatures.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-12, 01:56 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Ghouls came originally from followers of Nagash after he was defeated by what became the Tomb Kings; they were remnants who scavenged around his Black Pyramid, becoming tribes and feeding off the flesh of the dead.

I don't think they are capable of reproduction. Their ranks are swelled by humans who have fallen to debased cannibalism etc. not by ghoul mummies and ghoul daddies going behind the gooseberry bush and asking the stork for a baby:

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 09:29 AM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree with Farseer Darvaleth. The way I read it they weren't a separate species, more like a de-volution of other species.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-12, 01:32 AM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Darvaleth View Post
Ghouls came originally from followers of Nagash after he was defeated by what became the Tomb Kings; they were remnants who scavenged around his Black Pyramid, becoming tribes and feeding off the flesh of the dead.
Actually you're only partly right about that. The origins of the first ghouls fully revealed in the second book of the Nagash Trilogy which was incorporated into the new VC Armybook (albeit in an abridged manner). Originally they were first primitive tribe that Nagash subjugated after his defeat. He led them to victory against a more powerful neighboring tribe that seemed to have a crude worship of the Chaos Gods. It was Nagash that instructed those warriors to feed on the corpses of their enemies to gain their strength. They never showed how long it took but many decades later (I think over a century but I can't remember exactly at the moment) when all but the strongest of the tribes have been conquered it's shown that the first tribe has completely devolved into ghouls as we know them.

Though their location was not near the Black Pyramid as you said but in the region now know as the Desolation of Nagash, where Nagashizzar stands.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode