Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

WIP Warband Gorthrax project log.

9K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  WarlordKaptainGrishnak 
#1 · (Edited)
well i'm a happy chappy :grin: found setting on camera for closeups, so without hesitataion, the progress (so far) of my Death Guard.

DG Champion; this was the test model, goop/Nurgly bits are blue tack :( had no GS at the time

1 of 4 Termies; Heavy Flamer WIP

1 of 4 Termies; Icon Bearer

Nurgle Icon

Compulsory Obliterator WIP

Daemon Prince Gorthrax, WIP

See less See more
#2 ·
MOAR!!!

Raptors;

and always there to lead any DG army.......TYPHUS!!!

Typhus was my first major conversion and use of GS, but im happy with it atm

and a spare Termie with MoS, because i can :biggrin:

cheers C&C welcomed, appreciated and DEMANDED! :p

#4 ·
could be the lighting, damn clouds kept coming and going, or the paints, they are ageing and getting a bit thick...though the Raptors, are repainted, Tin Bitz with a watered down Chaos Black wash, GW washes weren't out when i painted them, will look at weapons again as well. cheers.

#6 ·
as i stated in my Ork WIP thread, i plan on purchasing the foundation paints and washes from GW, so i'll be able to do some more stuff with these guys, ie bothering to highlight and adding some washes. thanks for the rep fatmantis.

#7 ·
Go damn more nurgle crap why can't peaple dare to be different, and do more Tsons conversions or slaanesh... that right its because its really hard to do good conversions for those factions compared to death guard.

Ok now that my rants over I would recommend dropping the red elements all together in favor of a light green or a sickly pink since the red really clashes with a otherwise very stunning set of conversions and paint scheme. Not to mention red is the color of Khorn, and is generally not a color you would see on a half dead zombie marine mutated or not.

#10 ·
PICS!

Typhus got himself pimped!

:biggrin:

I used a wash of Snakebite Leather on the fleshy-red parts of the Death Guard, it dulls the red down, but still keeping some of the red colouring, I'm happy with it.

While sitting there looking at my Oblit,

I decided...really hate that Oblit. head...so i got a new one :eek:k:

I've washed one arm of the Oblit. with Snakebite, and you can already notice the difference.

I was pleased with the...mutation...with the GS on the Oblit. so I grabbed one of my spare LC-ed Termies and made him for Nurgle-y.

enjoy XD

PS; I guess this is almost a Project Log now. so if a friendly mod can move it...Cheers :good:

#12 ·
To be honest I liked the obliterator better without the snakebite wash.
Before the wash it all looked more real and gory and really nurgly.
Now I'm not sure what to think of it.

Then again you did do a good job on al those greens in there, it really stands out.

#14 ·
this is a venerable dread/ironclad/GS/Chaos Bitz kitbash for my Chaos Dread.

Used Ironclad torso, legs, kneepads, to trry and create a sense of...age? This dread has been serving the Death Guard since the Heresy, ala the cool old style helmet and body cover from ven. dread. Anywho..pics...

cheers, C&C welcome

#15 ·
Heya ladies, gents, kids and abominations,

I currently have exams but next week have more or less a whole week off :so_happy:

Sooo with 7 days off I though it would be nice to get some painting in, so I aim to paint as much of my current projects as possible, to reduce the piles of models. approx. 2 days per army project. So keep a look out cause next week photos should be a coming.

Grish

#16 ·
An actual update :shok:

I rewrote my Death Guard list, and have decided I will be running a MoN Winged Daemon Prince and Chaos Lord as my HQs. Fluff wise Gorthrax is still hitchhiking with Typhus, however gamewise Typhus is a hefty cost in a 2k list, so I figure the Herald has his own business to tend to, but to keep Gorthrax in check he may send an Envoy with the Prince. Thus the Chaos Lord will be known as 'Envoy of the Herald'.

As of yet the model has not been started though I have a crappy concept pic.

At the moment I'm thinking of mounting the Palanquin on the back of a Spawn, and then integrating the Palanquin into its back. The Spawn it seems failed in his duty to Grandaddy, and thus was Spawn-ified, and is now eternally damned to carry those still loyal to the Grandfather.

The Envoy has an itch, given enough skum is slayed in battle then he may -pop-. Essentially the Envoy will be me Greater Daemon vessel. Now as its a Nurgle themed army, I need a Great Unclean One. But the current GW model is ratshit and not having the cash for FW, i began researching, and found a nice concept.

And I have decided to use the Fantasy Giant as the base, it seems to match up with the concept well.

Grish

#17 ·
Oh my an update 2 days in a row :shok:

Through getting annoyed at GW prices in Aus i began to have a look around at prices on webstores. Coming across Maelstrom Games I noticed their lovely > ÂŁ10 = Free WORLDWIDE Shipping and 'will match any price of any UK based webstore' points. I was sold. So between looking at Mael., Wayland, and Dark Sphere, I grabbed the cheapest price, and bought 2 boxes of Plague Marines off Maelstrom, with free shipping at Dark Sphere's low price of ÂŁ15 (down from ÂŁ20 RRP).

I also discoverd that it is cheaper for me to spend ÂŁ40 on 2 FW PM conversion kits than to buy 1 single PM box at Aus GW RRP (essentially in Aus if I pay $60 [ÂŁ35.80] i get 7 PMs, but if I pay ÂŁ40 on FW i get enough bitz for 20 PMs, the equivalent of paying > $120 Aus [ÂŁ71.60])

So I have 14 PMs coming in the mail, and am working on the credit card situation (cunts that FW are not letting me use Paypal :ireful2:) to get the PM conversion sets. But nonetheless I am a very very happy chap. :so_happy:

Grish

#18 ·
I love the FW upgrade kits, got the World Eaters kit a while back off ebay. so i fully support your decision for getting the Plague Marines

#20 ·
Though I wasn't really going to work on my logs during exams, I began to write my little shopping list for my Death Guard. Given I have 14 Marines, a Dread and a few Possessed yearning for my attention and plans in the making I decided to look over my painted and WIP models. Frankly I don't like it. Though happy with the initial test model of the current scheme the required paint:water ratio for some washes are varied and as a result all the models are looking frankly, a bit out of wack. Paired with my loathing of changing my flesh method, I have come to dislike the job I have done on them. Thus before I continue, models need stripping and a new scheme created.

So I trotted down stairs and whipped up two test models (kind of).

Both models are undercoated black.

First model has a base coat of Catachan Green, followed by a Babad Black wash, then a coat of Knarloc Green foundation (leaving some space out from the trim edge), trim and rivets in Mithril Silver, then a final wash of Delvan Mud.

The second model was a base coat of Knarloc Green foundation, followed by a Delvan Mud Wash, trim and rivets in Mithril Silver, a Babad Black was over armour, trim and rivets, then once dry a Delvan Mud wash on trim and rivets.

Personally I am more inclined towards the second model, with highlight on armour most likely to be in Catachan Green with a Delvan Mud chaser too tie it in.

C&C is much appreciated as it's fairly important for the direction of the army at this time.

Grish

#21 ·
I have to agree with your inclination to the second model. are you planing on painting the bp and powerpack same as the trim, and also what are you thinking for the bases? seeing the entire scheme may help

#22 ·
The powerpack will be silver like the trim.
The guns will be silver with a rust orange casing
For bases I'm thinking of a kind of wasteland look

Will try and get a whole test model painted up of the second scheme, for a look-see.

Grish

#23 ·
I will hopefully have a new full test model painted up by this afternoon. One advantage over the old scheme is that this scheme is much faster than the other.

On another note, I have a 2k list of the army which will be my goal to aim for, before expanding from there.

List is here

Grish

#24 ·
Righto folks more updates :biggrin:

This is the second paint scheme on a whole model. Yes there are mold lines, and the trim is sloppy in places, but as it is only a test model, I don't think it matters.

Grish

#25 ·
An update on the Plague Marines.

I bought two boxes of Plague Marines and started looking at them recently. seeing as I will be getting 2 sets of FW Death Guard conversion kits towards the end of the year, I wanted a mix of marine looks. Then comes the issue of the Plague Champions. Seeing as the Plague Marines are all 4 piece sets (body, pack, and arms) and in metal there isnt really a huge conversion potential outside of giving them plastic arms. However I stuck to my guns and set upon the Champions first.

This (not my model by the way, but the best picture I could find of the boxed Champion) is the model as it comes in the box.

For the first, it was the most difficult, and messy. I had to cut the head of the model off, trying to save the neckguard, then take a drill to the stump of a neck it had, and drill a reasonable hole so the head could fit in normally. It worked good enough for me. So I gave it the CSM Nurgle Champion head, and the pointing Powerfist. I cut the boxed shoulder pad off above the elbow guard, and on the powerfist i cut off the top of the arm 3/4 up the elbow pad and pinned the two pieces, in order to use the given shoulder pad (i like the subtle MoN on it). This one is still WIP painting, with the Bolter arm and pack to go. (oop I know i have to do his eyes as well as redo his little horn cap thing and his apron :p well tabbard)

For the second, I simply used an outstretched bolt pistol hand, swapped in a bolter and added the CSM Nurgle Champion shoulder pad. For the Powerfist I did the same as the first model, however I used a Terminator fist instead. This one is currently just primed.

Then one with both

I developed a new fleshy sinew scheme using a coat of Tallarn Flesh, Ogryn Flesh wash, Tallarn Flesh highlight, Baal Red wash, Deneb Stone highlight, Leviathan Purple Wash. I like the look of it so far.

I plan on giving the eyes and flesh/sinew a little varnish coat to look wet.

Just brainstorming here, but I'm thinking of doing the bolter cases brown, will paint it and see if I like it or not, but we'll see.

Grish

#26 · (Edited)
Well here we are again with another update.

I've done for painting in the last week then i have in a month, and all thanks to a 7m steel girder and some termites :p so basically i had to move all my stuff, so now it's in the main house at my desk, thus ease of access boosts motivation to paint to a whole new level.

Anywho I have finished off 2/4 Plague Champions (the other two will be from the FW Conversion Kits that i hope to get in the new year). Much like my Index Astartes: Red Wolves thread, I'm hoping to do something similar with Warband Gorthrax, just so I can have some fun with the fluff of the army and give these squads some names, to make things a bit more colourful. Something to think about no doubt. Anyway rambles are fun, but you've all come to look at pictures ;) so onwards to piccies:

EDIT: please excuse the poor pic quality, i was having my retinas burnt out by the full sun on my nice white backdrop

Plague Champion <insert name>:

Plague Champion <insert other name>:

Both:

Working on some Possessed at the moment, so might post them one by one, then once the squad is done take a group shot, or something.

Grish

#29 ·
We all like MOOOAR!
MOAR! yes we do!

Looking good Grish!

I think the green could use some drybrusing with a lighter shade just to finish it off. The pink/red parts are great but again MOAR highlighting. :p

You have done a good job on these and they will make a good looking army when your done :)

Keep the updates coming!

LTP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.