Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

District terra wip

9K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  omgitsduane 
#1 · (Edited)
So it's been probably years since I have put my face on these forums and it's probably time I get back to where it all started...

I've had some very hectic tournaments in the last few years, focusing primarily on CSM but moved the start of 2016 to the loyalist and superior codex of SPACE MARINES!

I've gone through a full circle event realising that as much as I do love Death Guard, they were not heavy on the chaos iconography like other chaos marines were so I went back and built a full army of loyalist kits with the preheresy scheme with a few worn out models but mostly basic painting on them.

I ran with this on the CSM codex for a good two years, heavily investing in vindicators, land raider and terminators to get my work done and I performed well most games but then the codex creep came...

Experiments with 4 Maulerfiends, Cypher in Spawn stars, and all the like left me feeling let down by the basic elements of the army and so the Emperors guiding light set me free.

The leap into using preheresy models came almost 2 years ago because of their rugged and tough appearance plus being expensive they were not seen often at tournaments in this area so I took to it quickly and they suited my painting style - fast and washy!

Within months I had made 50 marines and a few tanks as well as ordered 15 odd terminators, which is now in the 50 mark thanks to BAC and BOP box sets.

My shift in the hobby though turned towards the hobby, where I found solace those earlier years when things in life just seemed tough, warhammer and particularly the building of terrain gave me a reason to be excited for tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/DistrictTerra/

I put most of my stuff on here, been using it as a good creative release and have just in the last month moved in to a much bigger home where I can finally get some real work done and all those half finished projects can go to rest.

Just to make sure there is enough spam in the post.

I hope to reconnect again with those of you I may have lost, and make new friends along the way!!!

Introduce yourself either here or FB.

Looking forward to a good reunion.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I got a lot to put here. I wish I kept a blog this whole time.

I have a small update.

I received a commission after selling some terrain to a customer and he had a close friend who was interested and got on to me straight away about creating a dwarf inspired set but changed his mind (thankfully before production began) to a snowed over industrial set and I fell in love and ran with the concept. I drew up heaps of sketches and saved picture after picture of reference for use and have started construction after a long and difficult move to a new home.

This building would be just for repairs and gearing up of the vehicles or machinery of war. The buildings are 6x12" with cuts down the middle so they can be split apart to cover wider areas or put together to form a cluster of industry.

A prep station with fuel tanks and the needed tools of war. The machine must grind on!

Because he was so keen and I had these lying around, I made customer objectives also for the set. :D

More updates soon! I am really keen on this project as a whole. Painting will be so much fun. I have a lot of ideas.

#4 ·
Welcome back! It looks like the terrain is coming along smartly. And congrats on starting a cottage industry. =)

#6 ·
Cottage industry? Not sure what you mean by that ha. But thanks regardless.

Ummm.... would you like to make terrain for my Tournament lol!! these pieces are excellent!
I could, the shipping would be killer though :( I do this because I love it more than any other part of the hobby. I'm horrid at the game!

So I have some extra stuff to show for this set.

I have begun putting the texture paint around. It is good for hiding gaps in walls and

I also use it for roughing up floors and walls to create texture where there isn't any.

The devil is in the details with this one. I hope to really create something with a story for this terrain. An overrun facility with a hint of Genestealer Cult.

Look for the next addition!

#9 · (Edited)
Small update.

I recently got hold of a LOT of scrap and cut off pieces from a friend and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them at first until I realised how easily I could make practically anything given the inspiration.

I made this! A printer it will work as, for the GSC in this sector. Having captured the printer long ago they pumped out propaganda and started turning the masses against their own government.

A corner of one of the buildings I've made. This pipe or canister, whatever it may be has ruptured and genestealer Jim has found a comfy spot to rest his genestealer head.

The body underneath has a Tyranid adrenal gland on the back of it's head, a form of aggressive psych-domination through parasites but the victim didn't live through his transformation.

#10 ·

The printer room currently looks like this.

I've added some pieces to the edges of the room to give it more of a lived in feel.

And the three that I've currently got working on. The blue stuff is texture paint which is invaluable!

#12 ·
Thanks! inspiration is the best part of putting your work out there. Getting people to think outside their box or maybe try something that's never really occured before.

There are a few guns without magazines lying around, the magazines can still be in the gun and it be packaged empty but I get your point.

#13 ·
I have begun work on a very big part of this project. I am lucky that with my measurements quickly taken once the walls went up that I can fit in there exactly as I meant to.

It was a pretty tight fit, and there is a lot of work to go into making the racks look good but there is always time.

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you! I got a lot more to come! Been very busy as usual!

I built a printer out of leftover MDF scraps from miniaturescenery.com They've been beyond useful!

Also made some other unknown-use machinery haha. But it fills the space well.

and the factory as it was when I left it.

#18 ·
Thank you. There is a lot to go still! :D

Starting construction on the elements of this piece. Just some machinery in this building, nothing too fancy.

I didn't get any progress before I ended up finishing this. So I took some before and after of the buildings for spraying.

Moving on! More updates soon.

#19 ·
I made up some posters, as I love the trash and well-lived in look of the terrain I've made in the past and especially for a genestealer cult propaganda factory it should really be making plenty of paper to push forth the message.

A couple of serious ones, dictating the cult as the champions of the people, fighting an unbearable tide of hatred and tyranny in the form of imperial forces.

And one with a bit more fun to it.

I began laying down the colors for the machinery, I went with a sort of straight-laced green as having worked around the stuff before its either that or a very olive color. Loved the results so far.

#21 ·
Mid way through this project I was approached to finish a display board for a tourney only a few weeks away and felt compelled as I already had a great idea in mind.

The thrilling part of all this, is I get to build, experiment with and design some of my dream boards and at the end of it all I don't have to store it at my house. Haha. It's win win!

So this board was for a smallish Nurgle CSM army, a few squads of marines, minimal vehicles, a daemon prince and a TON of zombies.

I opted to give the board some height to put the more sturdy elements of the army a more important representation on the board.

And so begun construction....

WIP

Slow Progress

Laying down some minor details.

#24 ·
Part of the advantage of working in an electrical wholesaler! I found these clips and made sure I remembered them so I could buy some when the time was right. I've bought so much stuff from work to use for terrain haha.

We have SO MUCH to catch up on...

The palette is looking rough after the painting...

Sneaked in some pipes for the bluesteel table while mid painting of this nurgle board. A lot of fun to make. It almost feels like lego it snaps together so well.

And the final result!!!

The resin didn't pour as cleanly as I would have liked. I will have to spend some time learning how to properly use this material in the future.

The rusted effects add so much to it, the work put into the broken pipes and roofs makes a good system for this particular Death Guard army to place their troops in a tiered system to show off the biggest and baddest up the top.

#26 ·
Years of Death Guard has given me a particular skill set :D

Straight back into working on the bluesteel project. The buildings are really coming together with the subtle olive greens and steel.

Also found time to whip up some quick propoghanda posters to go with the set. These will be everywhere!

#28 ·
Not individually written no. I knew they would end up too small and weathered to be any use trying to read but for what it's worth they contain a section from a Vietnam veterans depiction of war which I thought was fitting.

So we have some crates and are doing some real work on the scatter pieces for this set currently including this cold fella.

All the scatter pieces together. There may be some not shown but its an impressive amount of portable cover.

And the warehouse wall itself with the racks.There was a lot of stress with these but they came out alright in the end. Very pleased with the result.

#31 ·
thanks! I work in wholesale for an electrical company so I get to see a lot of really cool stuff and buy it at good prices for my terrain. These are clipsal mountings for 25mm conduit and I bought them a long time ago because I knew one day they'd be useful for just a day like this!

A bit of a throwback on this one.

I made this piece, planned it for PAX2015 that my gaming group ran to show off 40k to new and old players and we needed a story and some pazzaz to it all.

This was the fated warpgate on the planet Deathguard legions and Imperial Fists faced off on.

The crystal at the centre between the wraithlords is the objective, whoever holds it wins at the end of the game.

But then the eldar arrive...

I had bought a Farseer, a Fire Prism, and 2 squads of Wraithguard that pop out to protect their web world.

#35 ·
Thank you!!!! I spent soooo much time on the faces trying to get them just right. It was some of my earliest airbrush experience so it was difficult to get the airbrush to play along.

Nice done! How does that crystal look when lights out?

I don't have any photos or anything at the moment but I may try and scrape together something next time I'm out there.

So we have got the snow down on some parts and it's looking crisp.

I'll let the photos do the talking.

#36 ·
Some of the buildings put together now. The posters are looking great on the walls and floors. I'm trying to make it look as though these were just as much rubbish as they were helpful.

There is still weathering and plenty more to do. I try and put a lot of depth into washes on the finished pieces because the mix of tones really appeals to me.

The machine shop is by far my favourite part of this. Down on the level of the models this looks like it was a once busy factory churning out weapons and gadgets for the cults.

An overall view of the pieces that were made for this set. A lot has gone into this in terms of sweat and blood and just hard work. I am so happy and it's not even finished!

#37 ·
A few shots of the factory again to get this started.

We are calling this bad boy done!!!!!!!

And set up as a complete board with all the smaller pieces.

The pipe section is a little hard to see but I had fun with it in that it actually comes apart in a lot of places for you to build in a series of different ways.

A cold marine stares through the ruined walls of the factory looking for targets.

Squad Sarge leads his troops into battle trouble ruin and wreck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.