Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The AoS comes to Wh40K.

7K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Trump 
#1 ·
#9 ·
I admit, i am flat out panicking! :grin2:

#5 ·
Might want to rethink putting models on three dimensional bases. Your probably thinking of an icosagon.

But at that point not using a circle is silly.

#6 ·
3 Ways to Play

The General’s Handbook has been one of the most popular rules supplements we’ve ever released. Who’d have thought letting people choose how they wanted to play their games and giving them a clear way to do that would be so popular…? It’s pretty clear from talking to a number of event organisers, that Warhammer 40,000 would benefit from the same approach. So we’ll soon be introducing the same 3 ways to play – open, narrative and matched play – to the 41st Millennium.
I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason the General's Handbook is that popular is Matched Play. Narrative is somewhat interesting (but mostly when combined with Matched), and Open... nobody cares about outside of intro games? Does anyone here ever play it voluntarily?

Army Selection

One of the things that comes up a lot is the idea that people should be rewarded for taking thematic armies. It’s a sentiment we agree with and so we’re looking at introducing Command points. A mechanism to reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts, with rerolls and cool army specific rules throughout the game.
This really goes back to evenly matching armies again... We've already been slowly getting some of this through Formations, and given GW's willingness to create Formations of Superheavies, that's not filling me with any confidence.

Movement

We think the Move value should come back. No more default unit types. Every model should have cool bespoke rules. Not only would that be more fun, but it’ll mean you will only need to learn the rules for your models.
Agreed on most of it, though I've long since learned that you do, in fact, need to know a lot of the army you're playing against to guard against incompetence and malice both...

Shooting

Armour save modifiers. This topic comes up almost as often as Sisters of Battle… so we’re going to bring them back. Every weapon will have its place in your army and better represent how you imagine them working in your head.
THEN FIX THE SISTERS OF BATTLE FIRST YOU @$$. Okay, with that out of my system... Having played some AoS, very iffy on this. It's amazing how something that should be tough can disappear with various modifiers being in play.

Combat Phase

Charging units should fight first. It’s just more thematic. So we’re hoping to work this out as well. It will reward tactically outmaneuvering your opponent. You can dictate the combats rather than being entirely Initiative based. You control who swings first.
My army largely fights on Initiative 3, so this would be a boost... yet not sure if want. I've done enough charges just to not be charged myself as it is, this sounds like a potentially hefty penalty to CC-reliant armies - especially more fragile ones. The Orks really don't need another nerf.

Morale

Its no longer all or nothing, and it affects everyone. We’re thinking of replacing break tests with a simple mechanic. Roll a D6, add that to the number of models your unit has lost this turn, subtract your Leadership and take that many additional casualties.
With the abundance of ATSKNF and Fearless, seeing Morale have more of an impact could be good. It's going to need additional thought behind it than just the above though, because it's just penalizing armies (like Orks, AGAIN) for having a generally poor save right now.

Reactions: neferhet
#8 ·
@DaisyDuke that would be the only good thing they could do imo. Streamline and cut useless rules (like, say, strikedown...blind...fear...concussive...soul flame/burst watherver its called, fuck all these situational "once in a blue moon" rules; mistery terrain, mistery objectives, commander traits, random psy powers, all those random rolls even before we start to play...roll roll roll...for getting a maybe situational bonus once per game...yeah..) . Also, never forget that lots of "time is an issue" stuff boils down to the fact that now a 1000 pts game can esily fit 60+ models... with CSM i could do a 40+ models army of power armour models! Thats insane. My memory as a kid had 1000 pts with maybe 25 dudes on the field + 1-2 vehicles.

Reactions: Fallen
#10 ·
Just one thought here.......

Why would a UK based company release information about its possible change to a core game outside of the UK 1st???

#16 ·
If they play this right, they could drop a hell of an April Fools gag.
Setup for a joke is as important as the joke itself.

Then again, it could take them a year to get it up again.

#17 ·
Nah, i'm not ragequitting at all. Just panicking. the new look of gw minis means that i will be forced to buy old stuff...meh. wathever.

#20 ·
Or, and bear with me on this, you could continue playing 7th edition.

#24 ·
ok...plastic thunderhawk thing makes me reconsider. this is some kind of april fools.. i didnt really noticed that before

#28 · (Edited)
Would you consider the plastic Sisters comment in the bin with Magnus an easter egg clue to to the Cannoness model later released?

...my memory's a little hazy, was that video even a precursor to the Cannoness's release?

MAX EDIT: check this out, from Warofsigmar:

Hello everyone !

FW Confirmed that the last resin Thunderhawk have been sold :D (image from bbunnies)

I let you say it : Plastic .....

/cheers.
bob.

#36 ·
as 40k stands right now (and has done since fifth edition for me) I'd not want to touch it. the rules are without putting too fine a point on it. utter garbage.
I know allot of people will scream and howl and bay for blood. but its just how I feel. the way everything works feels old and clunky without any logical reasons to work that way (especially difficult terrain which is so pathetic). the AP system, the way vehicles DONT work.

I've played a couple of Age of Sigmar games and I much preferred the flow and speed of things, but will need to play it properly with a decent attituded player...thats the hard part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.