Dagmire's Tavern: Market Research - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming Clubs Advertise your Wargames Club or Gaming group here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 09:41 PM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

if you want it to work as both a pub and a gameing club/store, then you will need to cater to both gamers wanting a game and a beer, and passing trade, otherwise your income would be very low.
Idealy a large pub with a resturant and 2 large bars would be ideal, that way you have one bar for those that just want a beer (or 5) and to chat, somewhere to eat, and a second bar for the gamers to play, drink and chat. with reguards to haveing any stock, if you can have some (you have to check the verious laws on that) i would surgest just a small stock, blister packs and some box sets, along with a range of paints and glue.
As for haveing comps on site, i woldnt bother with gameing spec PC's as there likely to be A, damaged, or B, some prick will try and nick em (and some prat will try), just have 1 or 2 comps for surfing the net (and not to be a kill joy, but have certian sites locked out, so you dont fuck the old bill off).
good luck with the idea/plan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-11, 12:47 AM

CaptainLoken's Flag is: Wales

Or you could run a normal pub and on a quite day run a club in which members can join and game, drink chat and what not.

We are charged with the reunification of mankind, throughout the stars, in the name of the Emperor. We seek to establish compliance amongst all the fragmentary and disparate strands. Most greet us like the lost brothers we are. You resisted.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-11, 01:51 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds like a decent idea, if I'm honest. A normal pub, with a couple of gaming nights a week on perhaps an early closing night when business is typically slow (mondays and thursdays often for scouseland are the quietest).

What would you like to see in such a place?
A Book library would be good - if not a legal copy of say a BRB, for cost cutting, there are several books available "for free" to print off. Everyone likes reading them, but why risk getting a 50 IA or Sourcebook no longer in production damaged?
What sort of area would you like this location to be in?
Toxteth. But I doubt you'd get many others coming. I believe the popular term is "disenchanted estate". =D
How exclusive would you like it?
For a gaming club? Well, it's adults only, so it's already fairly exclusive. Payment of a couple of quid on top of drinks could perhaps cover some of the Leccy and Water bills used for opening late on a closed one. Entry into a league or whatever could be enter money into a pot, and 20% protection/handling charge goes towards upkeep?
Would you visit often?
I'll be limited in my timings, when I leave Stonehouse, but if 42 drops back to Taunton, it's not too far to get too Essex for say weekend leave.
What times would be best?
Dunno to be honest. Comes down to area. Be best to find out which locals offer the best nights and offers for students, and "lower" your prices for those nights while upping them on nights which aren't popular for students. Monday is often detox day, while Thursday is the night off from midweek drinking while preparing for a 6 til 6 session on the friday night in Liverpool
Would you game there more then at a local club?
Yeah. I rarely game anymore. Too many fantasy players, and too much 8th edition. I now have to purposefuly set up games for 6th edition, and half the time one or the other has to call it off for one reason or another.
Would you move a gaming club to this sort of location if it was close?
I'd recommend it. More adult gaming - more challenge, more friendly "lets make up shit as we go along without cheating", more discussions about fluff different than "omg nathan long wrote such a kool space wolf series".
Would you pay a fee to get in, if so how much is fair?
Couple of quid initially - say 6-10 people providing 20-30 benjamins should cover utilities on top of drinks. Raising the price of drinks slightly to make up for lost profits for potentially shutting early - and they don't need to be expensive shit either. Bottle of Red Label Vodka and Blackcurrant Sourz perhaps to keep it exotic, rest I can happily put away piss and vinegar.
What computers whould you like to see there?
NASA ones. But that's not really an option. If I'm honest, one which can go on the internet, play online ones full graphics (so your Runescape, World of Warcraft, your Habbo Hotel or whatever the fuck you want. You just pay for the game, and let them book slots like a library, first come first serve, first hour free, 2 after that, 1 extra if you want the internet), and able to play other decent games online. PS3, XBox, and Wii for some party games on a big screen alternatively.
What games would you like to see?
CoD, MoH, Fifa,Space Marine, Gran Turismo... Yeah, FPS's and Racing games work wonders on party play Console. Computer - WoW (Jez's thread a while back comes to mind here), Dragon Age (PS3 is shit for it), Dawn of War/Mark of Chaos, Starcraft etc - more sort of your Solo Player games, as they're less good for messing around with mates (although MoH goes here, despite being FPS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-11, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

A pub or a hobby store that sells drink, they are one and the same.

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-11, 04:25 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz
I'll be limited in my timings, when I leave Stonehouse, but if 42 drops back to Taunton, it's not too far to get too Essex for say weekend leave.
Taunton is further west than me! Essex is a long way away
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 11:00 AM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLoken View Post
Or you could run a normal pub and on a quite day run a club in which members can join and game, drink chat and what not.
The gaming club I go to in London is in a pub. The owner is a gamer and plays most nights. We play tuesdays,thursdays and then Sunday for boardgames and RPGs. The club is in the basement area, we have room for 7 tables. You can order food and drink from the pub and they will bring it down.

I am not sure about combining a pub and a gaming store would be a bit odd. .

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 06:27 PM

Jormungandr's Flag is: England

I would think of it as almost something similar in style to Bugmans, would be cool, had the same kinda pipedream myself, ;)

But yeah, if your going for it, Vaz's post seems to have the best ideas, imho, (will +rep you for that in a sec, Vaz ;) )although a small selection of GW box's and blisters would be cool too, like an indie stockist.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 10:14 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Alot of game clubs meet in pubs or clubs, its one way for the land lord to increase trade on sow nights/afternoons, both my clubs on the 90s were in pubs. We used to use the rooms they used for parties and such.

Anyway that would really be the only way i see the venture working, licensed premises are generally in decline anyway so you would need a significant amount of normal trade just to keep a bar open, most pubs and clubs are brewery owned and there are very few free houses left and those that are are tied into serious contracts with the large breweries, plus to be a pub manager you need a license and that means training and expense if your not a qualified licensee already of course, add to that the money you will need to invest for rent and stock etc.

That said, if there was a pub in my area with a genuine gamer theme to it and i mean geek-tastic i would go, but i would want a wide spread geek feel to it, retro computer games, card games, film,tv, music, if it had game tables in a back room that would be cool too.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 11:29 PM

DivineArchitect's Flag is: United Kingdom

What would you like to see in such a place?
beer, plenty of tables, and some music ofc
What sort of area would you like this location to be in?
essex!
How exclusive would you like it?
i think members would be the way to go, mainly to stop the c*nts, but you could bring friends along to introduce them.
Would you visit often?
once maybe twice a week
What times would be best?
evenings
Would you game there more then at a local club?
yepp im still using a garage, havn't had the chance to check out gamerz nexus yet
Would you move a gaming club to this sort of location if it was close?
..me and my two man band would come..tis not quite a club i know...
Would you pay a fee to get in, if so how much is fair?
depends on what beer you sell, and how well kept the tables are.
What computers whould you like to see there?
...im with the other guys with this pool tables beat computers all daylong
What games would you like to see?
pinball, and arcades. metal slug would be rad!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Wargaming Clubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode