A Wargaming Club - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming Clubs Advertise your Wargames Club or Gaming group here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Fenrakk101's Flag is: USA

Default A Wargaming Club

Me and my friend were thinking of starting a wargaming club. We settled on a theme: an Imperial planet undersiege by Chaos forces, and the Adeptus Astartes came in to help (specifically, my dad's Blood Angels). Other forces were drawn in as well (the Tyranids). I was wondering if there was any other decisions we needed to make (other than a name, of course)

My Adoptables
This is my YouTube page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 07:08 PM

That's not a club, that's a campaign. You don't need a theme for a club, you need a venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrakk101 View Post
Me and my friend were thinking of starting a wargaming club. We settled on a ...
...place, the local community centre/church hall/abandoned shack at the edge of the swamp (delete as appropriate). We thought about meeting on a Thursday night/Saturday lunchtime/every full moon (likewise).

We also had an idea for a campaign, for the two of us who're first starting anyway, we hope other people can also join in later as we get more members. Here's the ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrakk101 View Post
...theme: an Imperial planet undersiege by Chaos forces, and the Adeptus Astartes came in to help (specifically, my dad's Blood Angels). Other forces were drawn in as well (the Tyranids). I was wondering if there was any other decisions we needed to make (other than a name, of course)

I see no problem with the campaign, it sounds perfectly do-able. I like campaigns, I think everyone should play like that all the time.

The club though, requires many decisions to be made. Where, when, who (you already know "what" - "a club"; "why" - "to play 40k" and "how" - "by meeting up and using rules, dice and miniatures"); beyond that, "how much (if anything) should we make subscriptions?" and "how do we let potential members know?" are the most important questions, as they most directly affect recruiting new people. The name is important (no-one would go to "the Really Dull Club for Smelly People with No Friends", for instance) but it's not the most important thing you have to consider. That really is "where are we going to meet?", I'd think.

:trying to help cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, the only place we can meet is my garage, perhaps once a month. And it's not a campaign, it never ends really, it's just the way all our terrain and bases will look like. We are already saving up for a centerpiece, an Imperial Church using several Sanctum Imperialis sets. So far, no one other than me, my friend, and a few others (as well as you guys) know of this plan (not thhe church, the club entirely).

How's this?
Who: Me, my friend, and a few others
What: a club
Where: My garage and, if possible, the hobby shop upstate
When: once a month (hopefully)
Why: To play 40K
How: By using all reguired materials for a game of 40K

As for recruiting new members, I'm not trying to make a mob, I only expect 4-5 people to begin with
And for a name, well... we have no clue

:plz help cyclops:

My Adoptables
This is my YouTube page
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 09:21 PM

OK, I see the idea for the themed terrain, I like that...

Presumably then, the other people who might join will be either from your local games store, or random friends you bribe/threaten until they agree to play 40k? I see you say the hobby store is 'upstate'... about how far 'upstate' is that?

If you're trying to set up a proper club, and it not just be you and your mate, I would see about trying to do it not in your garage, unless you have a big, unused, fairly comfortable one. Apart from anything else, anywhere else would be 'neutral ground'. If the hobby store is too far, try finding a room somewhere else... even a school or library might have space. At worst, meet at different members' houses over sucessive meetings. It prevents the "club" being your personal fiefdom.

Just some thoughts... hope they help.

:honestly, really trying cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

The other people would be my dad, my sis, and (hoipefully) another friend.

The store is about a 40 min - 1 hour drive. The gaming won't start for a while though, as my friends have only started collecting armies (this is why I said 'hopefully', as I am the only one with a car capable of making it to the store, and my second friend has not given me any money whatsoever to get new models).

My garage is fairly spacious, we have a 8X4 foot table and about 2-4 feet of space between the table and wall at any given location. I've never been to my friends's houses, so I don't know if they have anyplace better (although I don't think they have 6X4 foot tables anyway).
My school certainly isn't an option (as though 11 hours at that damned place isn't enough), and as I said I don't think my friend(s) has/have [a] table(s) anyway. Besides, there's only one (or two) person/people in the expectancy that doesn't live at my house.

:ur helping out greatly cyclops:

My Adoptables
This is my YouTube page

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Wargaming Clubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode