WoW goes Pokemon - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
let me ask you something, is it good business sense to give a game you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt will make you a couple of million sales easily for FREE to anyone who subs to your mmo thats not on its last strings? no, its not, this means that Blizzard is intending to lose more money from loss of Subs to WoW then the amount of cash they would lose from giving D3 away for free to those who comit to a 12 month contract, effectively.

to HIT their 12 million number, if that number was truely the amount of active subs a YEAR AGO, which for the record in a subscription based game like wow can easily mean a huge difference in subscriptions within that time span, they had to account for the Chinese release of WotLK and the rise of return players who rejoined in order to prepare for Cataclysm. As someone who was part of that crowd at the time, I can safely say that there were ALOT of re-cancelled subscriptions after a month of the game, let alone a full year.

now, your a moron if you truly think that 12 million have been playing WoW for a year. seeing as how a good portion of those players returned purely to "test" cataclysm as the hype about it was that it was a "whole new game" but it was just the same shit streamlined.

Point is, 12 million was the amount of "subs" at a PEAK a year ago, accounting for a world wide surgeance of players coming back in anticipation of something that, ultimately, let down alot of players. Add to that, by purely looking at the new content blizzard is deciding to release, the fact that they are completely skipping content they wanted to bring out, the emerald dream, which was supposed to be the next expansion, in order to bring out a very asian, a very child friendly expansion, GIVING a game away for NO ADDITIONAL COST, when you commit to another 12 month subcription...

you can fill in the rest im sure. Blizzard has decided to make a last attempt at life for WoW using every dirty trick they can think of, if they had 12 million subscribers I very much doubt they would be going down this route, as, unless WoW is actually doing abysmally bad, to the point of dieing, why would a company effectively be struggleing so hard to keep their game alive.
Like I said, you're just making shit up, produce some facts not the fevered dreams of a fanboy scorned.

I know you can't argue with the delusional but it is funny.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 05:45 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
It's impossible to argue with a delusional person, but still entertaining.

I'll say again if Star Wars breaks the million mark I will be very very surprised.
I think one million mark is quite realistic number and Star Wars can get to this within 2 months, if first few weeks doesnt have any big login or server issues. Lots of people are wanting this game. But to reach 2 million this is a task, and if game is good they can reach in 5-6 months. More than that, i wouldnt never think so. Would be great though. Even though there are similarities to WoW and few other things. Many people will go try this and when they get bored, they go back to WoW.
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 09:04 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
Like I said, you're just making shit up, produce some facts not the fevered dreams of a fanboy scorned.

I know you can't argue with the delusional but it is funny.
LOL your the one claiming 12 million players in a game as of our current date but your source is over a year old, and im the one whos delusional?

when I was playing, I watched 3 servers go from over filled, to practically empty, before I left, I was having issues as a tank finding groups in the LFG.

Fact is: a good portion of people who "sub" for wow practically only do so to 'raid' with their friends, the moment all their friends leave for SWTOR, they will too, and that will take a huge toll on WoW.

if you seriously need more proof that WoW is dieing then their struggleing during this years Blizzcon to announce stuff to prevent it from dieing, then I think your the one whos delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
I think one million mark is quite realistic number and Star Wars can get to this within 2 months, if first few weeks doesnt have any big login or server issues. Lots of people are wanting this game. But to reach 2 million this is a task, and if game is good they can reach in 5-6 months. More than that, i wouldnt never think so. Would be great though. Even though there are similarities to WoW and few other things. Many people will go try this and when they get bored, they go back to WoW.
*sigh* a game with similarities to WoW in the right spots is what is needed, the issues with every other game people have left WoW for, is they have been better then wow in one aspect, but fell short in some other aspect.

WAR, amazing ideas for PVP based gameplay, but balance and PVE fell short making it fail.

any game from failcom always has a massive amount of bugs and failures to it.

RIFT was / is lacking serious end game, their dungeons go from super easy, to WTF hard in the blink of an eye. there were many issues here with other aspects too, like their PVP system was complete shit as some of their class combos were just too overpowered over others.

Point is, what the community needs is a game thats similar to WoW, in that it can fufill a PVP, PVE, and end game role, without having a major fault that detracts from the enjoyment of the game how you want to play it.

the reason WoW has survived so long is lack of good competition directly to its audience, and by this i mean those looking for a rounded MMO, thats good at everything, but not necessarily great at anything. This is what WoW evolved into, and this is what is needed to be a competitor to WoW.

SWTOR is that competitor.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 05:25 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

My level 85 White Kitten just knocked out your Dragon.
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 05:33 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
*sigh* a game with similarities to WoW in the right spots is what is needed, the issues with every other game people have left WoW for, is they have been better then wow in one aspect, but fell short in some other aspect.

WAR, amazing ideas for PVP based gameplay, but balance and PVE fell short making it fail.

any game from failcom always has a massive amount of bugs and failures to it.

RIFT was / is lacking serious end game, their dungeons go from super easy, to WTF hard in the blink of an eye. there were many issues here with other aspects too, like their PVP system was complete shit as some of their class combos were just too overpowered over others.

Point is, what the community needs is a game thats similar to WoW, in that it can fufill a PVP, PVE, and end game role, without having a major fault that detracts from the enjoyment of the game how you want to play it.

the reason WoW has survived so long is lack of good competition directly to its audience, and by this i mean those looking for a rounded MMO, thats good at everything, but not necessarily great at anything. This is what WoW evolved into, and this is what is needed to be a competitor to WoW.

SWTOR is that competitor.
WAR had no new or innovative PVP system whatsoever. All EA did is try and copy Dark Age of Camelot's system and fail miserably. Just like they're going to fail miserably with TOR. Bioware are great with single player games, so the story writing is top notch. The problem is that a decent story isn't what people play an MMO for. I've got it on good authority that if the beta was anything to go by, it's a shoddy third rate MMO that basically copies WoW's mechanics but falls flat on a good two thirds of them. I've been told that it felt like an uninspired grindfest, just with lightsabers instead of greatswords. It still has the same boring pigeon-holed arbitrary class system that most MMOs have with the tank-healer-DPS trinity to make those fetch quests more survivable. Oh, I hope you like fetch quests, by the way. It's nothing new whatsoever.

WoW, mechanically, is just about perfect for an MMO. Controls are tight, interfaces are easily customizable and tweakable, everything does what it should. It's no wonder it's so popular. I just don't play it because I can't be fucked with the endless grind to do anything fun or important in an MMO. (Read: PvP.)

The core is exactly the same as everything since Ultima Online. Luckily, Guild Wars 2 is just around the corner with fast paced and unbelievably fluid hop in-out PVP, a brilliant combat system that's more than 'click, step back, occasionally cast spell' and an item mechanic more inspired by Diablo than WoW. Now THAT'S something I can get behind. And if you're not one for uninspired grind, then you can create a PVP only character to get direct to the arena with skills and everything you need ready to go!

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 10-27-11 at 05:37 AM.
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
WAR had no new or innovative PVP system whatsoever. All EA did is try and copy Dark Age of Camelot's system and fail miserably. Just like they're going to fail miserably with TOR. Bioware are great with single player games, so the story writing is top notch. The problem is that a decent story isn't what people play an MMO for. I've got it on good authority that if the beta was anything to go by, it's a shoddy third rate MMO that basically copies WoW's mechanics but falls flat on a good two thirds of them. I've been told that it felt like an uninspired grindfest, just with lightsabers instead of greatswords. It still has the same boring pigeon-holed arbitrary class system that most MMOs have with the tank-healer-DPS trinity to make those fetch quests more survivable. Oh, I hope you like fetch quests, by the way. It's nothing new whatsoever.

WoW, mechanically, is just about perfect for an MMO. Controls are tight, interfaces are easily customizable and tweakable, everything does what it should. It's no wonder it's so popular. I just don't play it because I can't be fucked with the endless grind to do anything fun or important in an MMO. (Read: PvP.)

The core is exactly the same as everything since Ultima Online. Luckily, Guild Wars 2 is just around the corner with fast paced and unbelievably fluid hop in-out PVP, a brilliant combat system that's more than 'click, step back, occasionally cast spell' and an item mechanic more inspired by Diablo than WoW. Now THAT'S something I can get behind. And if you're not one for uninspired grind, then you can create a PVP only character to get direct to the arena with skills and everything you need ready to go!
Gw2 / world of warcraft fanboi I see.

your 'well informed source' went into a beta and probably focused upon the tiniest mistakes in a BETA, then blew them out of proportion and decided that their current game is better / the game they havnt played before that will not have more people playing it then its predecessor, is better then this game that is superior to WoW in every way.

Yes SWTOR works upon the Trinity, but the trinity is a good system, everyone being able to do everything will fail misserably, or wind up in 1 spec being dominant, as no games balance is perfect.

oh and one more thing, EA didnt copy DAOC's style onto WAR, the creators of DAOC, MYTHIC, who created WAR, did. WARs pvp ideas, were solid, but their failure was apparent in other areas of that game, is why it failed.

one unsatisfied moron who thinks with his head stuck up his own ass wouldnt see the truth behind SWTOR.

Did i see issues / bugs with SWTOR when I played in the beta? yes, did I write the whole game off from those bugs / issues? no, its not like the game released with those bugs, it was a BETA.

My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.

Last edited by KhainiteAssassin; 10-27-11 at 05:52 AM.
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 05:51 AM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

Blizzard knew when the Burning Crusade came out that there was a finite lifecycle for the game. They're working on a new MMO and have been for years now.

At the moment it looks like the jumped the shark but all we've seen honestly is screen shots of the continent and what the new race looks like...that's it.

I have played for a while, I will probably pick up the expansion because, why not?

Personally I raided for a bit, I hated the waiting around for people. I play to experience the world. So I don't care about fanboi this, this company sucks that.

I remember times when people just PLAYED games to play...not bitch moan, complain, whine and monologue about what they would change/is broken.

Shit I used to have blow on Nintendo cartridges when the fuckers wouldn't load..
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubacca View Post
Blizzard knew when the Burning Crusade came out that there was a finite lifecycle for the game. They're working on a new MMO and have been for years now.

At the moment it looks like the jumped the shark but all we've seen honestly is screen shots of the continent and what the new race looks like...that's it.

I have played for a while, I will probably pick up the expansion because, why not?

Personally I raided for a bit, I hated the waiting around for people. I play to experience the world. So I don't care about fanboi this, this company sucks that.

I remember times when people just PLAYED games to play...not bitch moan, complain, whine and monologue about what they would change/is broken.

Shit I used to have blow on Nintendo cartridges when the fuckers wouldn't load..
Blowing on the nintendo Cartridges brings back memories. still, there is a reasoning behind why these games get argued over, to make SWTOR a truely dominant MMO, it needs to beat out the reigning king, which is old and stale.

WoW does not have rivals, only competitors, until SWTOR, none of the past games have had nearly as much money put into them, or a top notch gaming company behind the wheel to counter blizzard.

We finally have one, that is getting both, fanboys hate and bitch and deny that their precious game will be barren wasteland dead soon, but it will happen, nonetheless.

And though GW2 will probably have alot of sales, I doubt it will be much more then GW1 was, which after the expansions came out and made things easier, it died off quick. (and before that it got stale too quickly being a very generic game). And now they want to remove the trinity system like its a hinderance to them, making everyone able to do practically everything. Well its good in theroy, but we will just see a million assholes running around FTOMing in that game.

My armies.

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 07:40 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Gw2 / world of warcraft fanboi I see.

your 'well informed source' went into a beta and probably focused upon the tiniest mistakes in a BETA, then blew them out of proportion and decided that their current game is better / the game they havnt played before that will not have more people playing it then its predecessor, is better then this game that is superior to WoW in every way.

Yes SWTOR works upon the Trinity, but the trinity is a good system, everyone being able to do everything will fail misserably, or wind up in 1 spec being dominant, as no games balance is perfect.

oh and one more thing, EA didnt copy DAOC's style onto WAR, the creators of DAOC, MYTHIC, who created WAR, did. WARs pvp ideas, were solid, but their failure was apparent in other areas of that game, is why it failed.

one unsatisfied moron who thinks with his head stuck up his own ass wouldnt see the truth behind SWTOR.

Did i see issues / bugs with SWTOR when I played in the beta? yes, did I write the whole game off from those bugs / issues? no, its not like the game released with those bugs, it was a BETA.
A WoW fanboy? Hardly. I can just respect Blizzard for making/perfecting a fantastic system that was frankly wasted on a primarily-PvE game. As for Guild Wars, considering the original was probably the best multiplayer game to exist that didn't have a crosshair, no bad can come of a sequel made to please fans of the original. I mean, the original was made by ex-members of the Diablo team, which is why it can't be bad. Much like Firefall is being developed under the eye of the Tribes 2 lead developer. As such, it cannot possibly fail as Tribes 2 is still the best FPS to ever exist.

The issues with the TOR beta that I was primarily told about (But did also get to play in smallish amounts) aren't mechanical, for the most part. The occasional graphical or engine glitch are forgiveable. What isn't forgiveable is the fact that despite all the preaching people are making about it, it is IS just WoW in space, and it's coasting along primarily more on the IP than on the gameplay it provides. Fetch quests, kill 10 of x and bring back their bastard corpses... While this is exactly what fans want, this isn't the revolution it's made out to be. It's just asking for grind for the sake of it.

As for the 'trinity', it works to a point. The problem with it is that these days it feels entirely contrived and forced. Just as a focus, GW2 doesn't use it. While a person can build their character primarily to heal, they're not locked into a healer role. All character classes can be tailored to the player's choice, but while a well rounded group will naturally do better, everyone has the capability to be self sufficient. Nobody will ever be left high and dry because some little fucktard is refusing to heal you or pull that giant fucker with six arms and three axes in each.
The other great thing is that FOTMing has never existed with Guild Wars, and I can't see why the new system will be any different considering it's in essence so similar to the original. Sure, you could make powerful, 'cheap' skill combos and team tricks, but as everyone has the capability to counter, they do quickly. Hell, amongst those still playing, the metagame is STILL constantly evolving and adapting to new things people come up with. It's never been a stale metagame, and it's a self-sustaining system for the most part as everything has a counter.

Guild Wars still has quite a community. They just don't really touch the single player any more. Make a PVP character and you'll still be tripping over people.

The problem here is that you're frankly part of the problem gaming has these days. This 'us vs them' mentality so many people get over games stops any innovation. Developer X sees this and realize that they either have to do the same as Developer Y but with a different face, or they have to completely ignore a good concept/idea and go as far as possible from it (And away from what would be amazing in the process) so as to not get labelled as either a [game]-Killer, or rip-off.

I really want TOR to be great. I really do. Unfortunately, both the previous Star Wars MMO and all EA MMOs suggest that this won't be the case for too long. Considering it's going to have an above-the-competition sub fee, to get anywhere at all, it'll need a PERFECT launch and brilliant constant support. Two things that EA have never really managed to nail. Call me cynical or pessimistic, but it's less disappointing this way every time.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 10-27-11 at 07:43 AM.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-27-11, 07:59 AM

Hellgate london was also created by what was effectively Blizzard North, which had their hands in SC1 WC1 WC2 D1 D2. basically they helped put blizzard to a tripple A spot and it bombed, it just really didnt do as well as it should have due to the people working on it. so in reality, WHO works on something means little if it doesnt stick up to the reputation of the people working on it.

and GW was not the best multiplayer game to exist that didnt have a crosshair, if you feel that way, thats fine as an opinion, but there have been plenty of other games without being a shooter that I have enjoyed multiplayer of far more then Guild Wars.

is the base of TOR have the same core as WoW? I cant deny that, there are things I suggested and others did on the beta forums, and I do hope that they are taken to heart, but yes, from a third persons onlook at the game, or if you focus on purely the actions you do, for example, grind quests, fetch quests, etc. without the context of the amazing storyline that bioware has created, yes the game feels very similar to world of warcraft.

the thing I noticed with the Trinity, and how bioware has tackled it, is that leveling as a healer, leveling as a tank, is as easy as leveling as a dps, in part due to closer dps numbers between the 3, compared to world of warcraft, and that, basically everyone gets a pet in their 'companion'. Add to that, 3/8 ACs heal 3/8 ACs tank, and 2/8 ACs are pure dps, with healing and tanking feeling as powerful as the DPS, while fufilling their respective roles, and in the event you can not find someone to fufill one of those roles, you can just use a companion to fufil that role instead, for their 'dungeons' I do not see there being as big of an issue with that one fucktard that refuses to 'heal'.

BUT, there were plenty of things I found myself enjoying, I didnt feel the grind like I did in WoW because I was so engrossed in the story of my characters. It was something I didnt get in WoW because there wasnt any quest dialogues, there wasnt voice over, and this game has been brought to near perfection for these aspects. why was I collecting that holocron in the tomb? why was I slaughtering that degenerate tribesman? why was i Infiltrating the crime lords palace pretending to be someone I wasnt? I knew the reasons for these, and I enjoyed every second of it.

But there are very few actual "kill quests" as it were, where you were just grinding them out and returning to camp for free experience over and over, as they were put in as 'bonus' quests or 'bonus' objectives to most of the quests, IE you can, if you so chose, completely skipped out on killing them and still finished the quest.

My armies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode