XBOX 360 - Fallout 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

Default XBOX 360 - Fallout 3

I enjoy playing Xbox games, always have and I decided to share my thoughts with the rest of heresy online, with a detailed review. who knows, prehaps I'll do more, if you want to hear them. Firstly I'm a casual gamer, i don't often buy the all new blockbusters, instead I prefer to buy pre-owned game for alot less. So, I'm going to kick off with what I believe is brilliant: Fallout 3.

I was hooked by the trailer, its probably the best trailer for a game I've seen in along time. So I bought it for £10 and gave it a try, here is what I made of it.

First Impressions
I did not expect the opening to go how it did, you start off as a new born baby. Not alot happens, your mother dies and you design your character. Then after a small cutscene your grow up and interact with 'dad' as a bady, more character design happens. "Ok" I thought "This is little odd, but I'll stick with it" so after getting my 'pip boy 3000' and passing my G.O.A.T (sounds odd but thats what happened) I wake up, aged 19 to find has run away and the vault overseer wants to kill me. However the Overseerer's daughter, Amata gives me a gun and some ammo. I grab a baseball bat and make a run for it. all the sirens are going off, giant cockroaches are trying to eat me and security is all hyped up. I have to fight my way with my baseball bat (I wasted most of my ammo on one guy, I do get trigger happy quite often) and meet the overseer. We talk and acording to my pip-boy I need his password. he won't give it to me, so I kill him. To cut a long story short I escape the Vault leaving alot of very pissed-off guys still inside.

You built a town, around a bomb?!
Woooo! I escaped the vault! And I turn up, in the wasteland. My first thought was "wow" my second was "what do I do now?" The wasteland looked pretty cool, but quite dead. However I would soon learn that apperances can be deceptive. After stumbling around for a bit I found the town of megaton, upon entering it I was greeted by the Sheriff. After talking I noticed a massive nuclear warhead sitting right in the middle of town and no one seemed to be bothered by it. I asked the Sheriff what the hell a nuclear bomb was doing in the middle of town, he said it might not go off. I told him I would disarm the bomb, I did it mostly for the money and mostly because if I did go off...

For a time everything went well, I completed a couple of quests and cleared a load of raiders out of the local school and helped a crazy woman in a shop. However, after that it all went to hell.

A supermarket, miniguns and vampires
I wasn't keen to explore the wasteland at first but I figured I couldn't hide in megaton all day, so i headed north to look for places of interest. The game was really good so far and I felt pretty good strolling around the wasteland. Suddenly the ground began to spit dirt all around me and I turned to see a large man the colour of urine holding a minigun. Taking cover behind a boulder I weighed up my options. I could either run away or fight the beast and loot his minigun. I charged at him with baseball bat (I had no ammo, as usual) somehow I killed him and looted the corpse, now I have a minigun! despite this my day could only get worse.

In megaton I had picked up a quest to deliever a message to another settlement, it seemed pretty easy at the time. within ten minutes I was being hauled all over the place looking for a bunch of wierdos called the family, who were supposidly vampires seeking the blood of innocent people. After being threatened by gouls, horribly irrdiated and almost eaten by mirelurks I went to finish another quest instead. It seemed simple, "Find food in the super-duper mart" but in Fallout 3 nothing is ever simple.

Night had fallen over the capital wasteland as I approached the edges of Washington D.C. nothing moved exept a tired-looking mutant bear. I drew my pistol and creapt inside, not noticing the headless corpse hanging from a street lamp. It was dark inside, and i saw quite a few red ticks on my radar. I crawled towards the back of the shop when suddenly every raider in that place opened fire on me. I was outnumbered, outgunned and almost out of ammo. So I got my ass outta there. however as I emerged into the moonlight I met another bunch of raiders, armed to the teeth with guns, kives and explosives. Again I ran for my life, the bullets flying and curses flying. I survived, but barely. I did return to that super-duper mart and I kicked their asses but never forgot what happened.

Summary
Fallout 3 is a brilliant game, if you variety and madness in a post-apocalyptic wasteland then this is a game for you. But if your more interested in the down-to-buisness action and the fight for survival in mercyless place then I advise you, buy this game. I hope this could-be-better review has been useful or at least entertaining to read, I have alot of Fallout 3 stories that have gone so many ways. Thanks for being bothered to read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:02 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Seems people liked you quite a lot in there.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:10 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Its better on PC... especially if you get the Game of the Year edition that has all of the DLC included with it.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:17 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

One of the best games there is in my opinion. Loved every second of it. I transfered all my xbox data to my new xbox, and I had a combined total of 420 hours on the game lol.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:23 PM

notsoevil's Flag is: USA

Loved this game and is one of my favorites of all time. I played through as "good" on the PS3, then bought it on the 360 and played it all the way through as "evil", including all the DLC.

I played this game first, so when I went to go play Oblivion, I couldn't because the graphics sucked in comparison.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:28 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Its better on PC... especially if you get the Game of the Year edition that has all of the DLC included with it.
It's even better if you completely disregard Fallout 3 and just play 1, 2 and New Vegas for the vision of the original devs.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:46 PM

notsoevil's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
It's even better if you completely disregard Fallout 3 and just play 1, 2 and New Vegas for the vision of the original devs.
See, I didn't like New Vegas. I found Fallout 3 to be superior. The New Vegas storyline and character just didn't grab me.

And if they redo 1 and 2 with better graphics, I'd give them a look, but I have no patience for older games to be honest.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 09:47 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I bought both 1 and 2 when they origionally came out and loved them both. 3 may have been a complete departure from them both, but it was still a great story and a great game that did something different and suceeded. Vegas was brilliant too... The characters didn't grab me as much as 3, but the gameplay and setting did.

Whatever you say about Fallout, you have to admit the series is amoungst the all time classics.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 11:06 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoevil View Post
See, I didn't like New Vegas. I found Fallout 3 to be superior. The New Vegas storyline and character just didn't grab me.

And if they redo 1 and 2 with better graphics, I'd give them a look, but I have no patience for older games to be honest.
Agreed.

I barely played 20 hours of New Vegas. The whole "delivery boy" plot wasn't epic enough for me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 08:10 AM

Durant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Fallout 3 was awesome, New Vegas just seamed like an expansion TBH.

They should have held out on FNV until Skyrim had been released so they could use that engine.

BTW I would take Oblivion over Fallouit 3 any day, awesome and far more emersive.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode