PS3 Advice - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Lastik's Flag is: Portugal

Default PS3 Advice

Ok folks as you might know already, I'm a 360 owner *dodges inconming rotten fruit* but after mulling it over I decided to get a ps3. I posted a similar thread on gamefaqs but I haven't been having replies so I decided to try it here since though smaller, the comunity here has always been helpfull...not that I'm trying to guilt trip you folks into helping me or anything

Anywho after some research I decided on the Resistance pack since it gives me more bang for my buck, however I do have some questions on how to start my game library, so first here's some info on my tastes:

-I'm an oddity regarding 360 players since I prefer single to multiplayer. I dislike competitive multiplayer even more.

-I don't particulary like FPSes (which I had already mentioned on a previous thread) unless they have some interesting story, ambience or mechanic. Examples are FEAR, Jericho, Condemned..

-Don't like sports or racing

-Love Survival horrors, has in Silent Hill survival horrors as oposed to Resident Evil or Dead Island. In fact I'm such a Silent Hill *hore that I've played all and have Dowpour on pre-order. Will also be getting SH HD collection.

-Love Metal gear, having finished 1-4, so I'll probably grab 4 and get the HD collection also.

-Love Castlevania but I already have Lords of Shadows for the 360

-Love construction games, like Sims, Sim City, Tropico, etc

-Love quirky or odd games. In fact one of the games I'll get with the console is Katamary Damacy which is real cheap.

-Love XBLA games but I have an easier time getting PSn cards than MS so I'd like some advice on that too.

-Also concerning PSN, I know it's free but there's a premium service. What does it need, what does it offer and is it worth it in your opinion?

And that's about it.. What games you folks think should go to my to buy list both on retail and psn, what should I get from the psn, and what other advices would you give a soon to be ps3 owner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 02:19 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Build a PC better games and it doesn't fry its self.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 07:40 AM

Takizuchi's Flag is: USA

The premium psn thing is only if you want acsess to demos early or not, so not worth it if you ask me.

PSN has tons of PS1 titles so you have a large selection of weird and quirky games. especially seeing as the ps1 was released when game designers wernt afraid to try new things. The Spyro the dragon series and Crash bandicoot series are available which i would recommend both.

If you enjoy Castlevania then i would defiantly recommend Symphony of the night, which is from the ps1 and on psn.

The Uncharted series i hear is fun to play, and its a third person shooter/puzzle game. I need to try it myself but i hear great things about it.

Hope that helps

Some days i swear my dice are trying to get me killed.
Is it bad sportsmanship to cackle evilly during ones game?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:06 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takizuchi View Post
The premium psn thing is only if you want acsess to demos early or not, so not worth it if you ask me.
its a little bit more than that, it gives you free titles and discounts on titles and other exclusive offers and DLC, and for the price its very worth the money.

Personally i cant say enough about the PS3, i was very anti PS at one point and i can say the PS3 has totally converted me, the machine is amazing,very stable, its got a Bluray drive, PSN is an amazing service (despite the recent hiccup) and the performace and graphics on the machine are far better than the Xbox (watched my brother in laws xbox machine on the same game side by side to prove it).

but if your into sim type games a PC is still the better option,just because they have the titles, why the pc only has the titles is another question, a wireless mouse would work on the PS3 and the machine is capable of running that type of software.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 08:09 AM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

Yea but with PSN Plus even if you get free games, you have to keep up your membership if you want the games to continue to be available to you. It's a bit of a toss up really.

PS3 is honestly made the single player games. The majority of the good titles on the PS3 are one person games or have a strong single player campaign. It's a good choice.

Space Marine
Uncharted
Castlevania
Resident Evil 4, 5
Enslaved
Darksiders
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls

I could go on but the library for ps3 is full of very good games that you never have to see another soul on.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

PSN has tons of PS1 titles so you have a large selection of weird and quirky games. especially seeing as the ps1 was released when game designers wernt afraid to try new things. The Spyro the dragon series and Crash bandicoot series are available which i would recommend both.

If you enjoy Castlevania then i would defiantly recommend Symphony of the night, which is from the ps1 and on psn.

The Uncharted series i hear is fun to play, and its a third person shooter/puzzle game. I need to try it myself but i hear great things about it.

Hope that helps

The ps1 bit does help me since I had one, the games sugested not so much, never liked much those two plantaformers (and spiro was actually the first game I found out that made me nauseous). Castlevania.. well let's see.. finished it on ps1.. got it on psp via the chronicles remake, got it on the xbla, beat it with 200/200 gamerscore (same with harmony of despair), well you get the picture

Might get Uncharted 3.. a friend of mine has 1, another has 2 and I might as well finish the triumvirate.

Thanks, had completely forgotten about the ps1 titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
its a little bit more than that, it gives you free titles and discounts on titles and other exclusive offers and DLC, and for the price its very worth the money.

Personally i cant say enough about the PS3, i was very anti PS at one point and i can say the PS3 has totally converted me, the machine is amazing,very stable, its got a Bluray drive, PSN is an amazing service (despite the recent hiccup) and the performace and graphics on the machine are far better than the Xbox (watched my brother in laws xbox machine on the same game side by side to prove it).

but if your into sim type games a PC is still the better option,just because they have the titles, why the pc only has the titles is another question, a wireless mouse would work on the PS3 and the machine is capable of running that type of software.
Well I'd never buy a system over 1 game or genre.. plus I can't make a decent pc rig with the money used to buy a ps3 (well not here anyway). I mentioned the sim genre because you folks might be aware of some titles for the ps3 within that style.

I do have the plan for a decent desktop sometime in future, if anything else because I miss WoW and Diablo 3. CONFOUND YOU BLIZZARD YOUR SHINY GAMES DRIVE ME TO UNECESSARY BUYERS REMORSE!

Regarding the psn plus the "free" games bit got me seriously interested in getting the service, depending if I can use the psn cards to pay for it or not. Tried register for a psn account but it seems it's either down or in maintenance for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubacca View Post
Yea but with PSN Plus even if you get free games, you have to keep up your membership if you want the games to continue to be available to you. It's a bit of a toss up really.

PS3 is honestly made the single player games. The majority of the good titles on the PS3 are one person games or have a strong single player campaign. It's a good choice.

Space Marine
Uncharted
Castlevania
Resident Evil 4, 5
Enslaved
Darksiders
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls

I could go on but the library for ps3 is full of very good games that you never have to see another soul on.
Now we're cooking with fire.. Space Marine I'll probably get since game fumbled my 360 copy (ended up getting graymatter, tropico 3 and gears 3 instead), though probably when it's cheaper. Uncharted 3 also and 1/2 if sony releases one of those combo packs. In fact I like sony because of those compilations.
Castlevania I already have SoTN, LoS and HoD, dunno if there's other titles for the ps3 on it..
Gonna check enslaved, heard good things about it but has plantaformers go I'd put LBP 2 ahead of it
Darksiders I've 1000/1000 on the 360 (looking forward to 2), also Am I the only one thinking Madureira would make some wicked WH40k comics?

RE 4 and 5 also finished on the 360 at 1000 (well 5 anyway, I played 4 in my former ps2)

I've heard of Demon and Dark Souls and everyone is hyped about it, but in what way does it separate from other western fantasy games like dragon age or skyrim? (well other than the insane difficulty I heard about)

Cheers for your thoughts so far folks, been hellpfull in putting things in perspective
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 07:21 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

also worth mentioning that you can share psn accounts with friends(with sonys blessing), so you can down load other peoples content on to your machine, and like wise you can share your account with your friends and they can down load anything you purchase from the PSN, my friends and i take it in turns to buy titles ,down side of that is we now need larger HD's lol

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 05:00 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Seems like, from your list anyway, you generally prefer Action/adventure games. If that's the case I'll list a few of my preferred titles that are PS3 exclusive:

Infamous 1/2: Amazing open world (sandbox) Action/Adventure titles. Like GTA but you have Lightning Superpowers in stead of guns. You can get both games really cheap now as they've been out for a while.

God of War 1/2/3: Amazing Hack n Slash action series (with some puzzles), all of which are available on the PS3 are low prices as they have been out over a year.

Ratchet and Clank series: It seems like a kids games based on graphics but it's just a fun action game that's worth the pick up at a low price.

3d Dot Game Heroes: If your an old school gamer you'll enjoy this throw back to the 8 bit days. Pretty cheap title, though I would rent rather then own.

Uncharted 1/2/3: If you don't play/own these games you may as well sell your system. Uncharted 2 was among the best game I have ever played, not playing it means your missing out on what may be the best games of this generation of systems.

Little Big Planet 1/2: Great series with INFINITE new content potential, as long as people still make maps.

If you are into JRPG's the PS3 also has a good amount of those titles around, though you may only see them as specialty stores as opposed to Best Buys and Targets.

The you have the PSN. I'm not going to lie, it leaves a lot to be desired for me. It's multiplayer is severely lacking when compared to XBL, but on the plus side it's free. One plus side to the PSN, as has been mentioned before, is the PS1 classics. Especially if you're a fan of arcade style games, as they import Japan only releases for sale on the PSN. Well worth the look.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 05:04 PM

Takizuchi's Flag is: USA

Even more good news is that Sony just announced today that they are going to release ps2 titles for the psn. So thats a even bigger plus. especially as ive been seeing more and more stores like Gamestop are getting rid of their ps2 stock.

link for those who want more info
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...lassics-to-PSN

im hoping this gives me another chance to pick up the fatal frame games.

Some days i swear my dice are trying to get me killed.
Is it bad sportsmanship to cackle evilly during ones game?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Seems like, from your list anyway, you generally prefer Action/adventure games. If that's the case I'll list a few of my preferred titles that are PS3 exclusive:
Well not that I don't don't like them, but I'm more into Survival Horror games (it's just there aren't that many on the 360 and most are more action oriented than.. survival ). I loved Alan Wake (though he talks too much ), Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill (heck I've already surrender myself to the thought that if it has SH in the name I'll probably like it, My Little Sillent Hill: Mindf*ck is Magic )

Quote:
Infamous 1/2: Amazing open world (sandbox) Action/Adventure titles. Like GTA but you have Lightning Superpowers in stead of guns. You can get both games really cheap now as they've been out for a while.
Gah, I loathed GTA. Felt aimless, didn't like the characters or the setting.. come to think of it I generally don't like Rockstar games. I did enjoy the first Infamous somewhat though, albeit the "do missions, head to the sewers" was a bit repetitive. Gonna put 2 on the list since a friend of mine already has 1.

Quote:
God of War 1/2/3: Amazing Hack n Slash action series (with some puzzles), all of which are available on the PS3 are low prices as they have been out over a year.
Got 1 and 2 on the ps2, and not that high on my list. I know people love the series but it just didn't grab me.. Same hapened with Dante's Inferno (only even worse with really lazy enemy models, pallette swaping is so 90's ). Refering to Dante's of course, GoW didn't had that prob.

Quote:
Ratchet and Clank series: It seems like a kids games based on graphics but it's just a fun action game that's worth the pick up at a low price.
I remember the first one, but I'm somewhat tired of plataformers, couldn't get myself to finish Alice (which is a shame really). But I agree, R&C is a great series.

Quote:
3d Dot Game Heroes: If your an old school gamer you'll enjoy this throw back to the 8 bit days. Pretty cheap title, though I would rent rather then own.
That one picked my interest though it's the first I heard of it. What's the genre?

Quote:
Uncharted 1/2/3: If you don't play/own these games you may as well sell your system. Uncharted 2 was among the best game I have ever played, not playing it means your missing out on what may be the best games of this generation of systems.
Will get 3. 2 friends of mine have 1 & 2 so I might as well finish the trinity

Quote:
Little Big Planet 1/2: Great series with INFINITE new content potential, as long as people still make maps.
2 is on the lsit. I know I said I'm tired of plataformers, but LBP reminds me of a time when 1) Platas where 2D and 2) I didn't need flea like reflexes to play the bloody thing! (I'm looking at you Sonic Generations! )

Quote:
If you are into JRPG's the PS3 also has a good amount of those titles around, though you may only see them as specialty stores as opposed to Best Buys and Targets.
That's one of the reasons for me to get the PS3. PS2 had a stupid good game library of those, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Kingdom Hearts, Valquiria Profile, Disgaea, Persona/Digital Devil/Devil Summoner/Lucifer's Call, etc

Quote:
The you have the PSN. I'm not going to lie, it leaves a lot to be desired for me. It's multiplayer is severely lacking when compared to XBL, but on the plus side it's free. One plus side to the PSN, as has been mentioned before, is the PS1 classics. Especially if you're a fan of arcade style games, as they import Japan only releases for sale on the PSN. Well worth the look.
Yeah I'm not too bothered about the multy because I'm more into single player and well... I still have my 360

I did enjoy the odds and bits from the XBLA and got plenty of games from it so I'm actually looking forward to all the arcade goodness from the other side

And thanks, this is the sort of input I'm looking forward to. It gives me an idea on what to keep an eye out for

Quote:
Even more good news is that Sony just announced today that they are going to release ps2 titles for the psn. So thats a even bigger plus. especially as ive been seeing more and more stores like Gamestop are getting rid of their ps2 stock.

link for those who want more info
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...lassics-to-PSN

im hoping this gives me another chance to pick up the fatal frame games.
The cynic in me can't help but wonder if the diminishing retro-compatibility on the PS3 was a deliberate move to make people fork again for their PS1 and PS2 titles..

But the cynic gets trampled with the fanboy glee at the thought of finally getting those titles I never got to play

And HELL YEAH PROJECT ZERO! Gods I loved that series! Finished the first one, didn't maanged to finish the second or the third before my ps2 bought the dust.

Oh and I didn't mentioned this (though it's obvious), but I'm european so I go by the PAL releases (usually from the UK, you guys give me the best bang for my buck and with the added benefit of no annoying dubs. You go boys!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode