PS3 Advice - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 12:17 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastik View Post
Well not that I don't don't like them, but I'm more into Survival Horror games (it's just there aren't that many on the 360 and most are more action oriented than.. survival ). I loved Alan Wake (though he talks too much ), Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill (heck I've already surrender myself to the thought that if it has SH in the name I'll probably like it, My Little Sillent Hill: Mindf*ck is Magic )
Try Heavy Rain. If you were a big fan of suspense games that's the game for you. It'll make the system worth owning.

Quote:
That one picked my interest though it's the first I heard of it. What's the genre?
3D Dot Game Heroes is an old school action RPG like the Zelda's of the NES and SNES days.

Quote:
2 is on the lsit. I know I said I'm tired of plataformers, but LBP reminds me of a time when 1) Platas where 2D and 2) I didn't need flea like reflexes to play the bloody thing! (I'm looking at you Sonic Generations! )
There's much more to the game then Platforming. Some people have made full blown fighting games using the game creator. There is very little to limit the type of game you play with LBP2

Quote:
That's one of the reasons for me to get the PS3. PS2 had a stupid good game library of those, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Kingdom Hearts, Valquiria Profile, Disgaea, Persona/Digital Devil/Devil Summoner/Lucifer's Call, etc
Plenty of them to go around, I would focus on Valkyria Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles II (it comes with an upgraded White Knight 1 as well). Add to that the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series and you got plenty to choose from.

And Dark Souls will be amazing.

Quote:
The cynic in me can't help but wonder if the diminishing retro-compatibility on the PS3 was a deliberate move to make people fork again for their PS1 and PS2 titles..
You can play PS1 games on the system using the Disc, just not PS2. The software emulation never worked correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Lastik's Flag is: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Try Heavy Rain. If you were a big fan of suspense games that's the game for you. It'll make the system worth owning.

3D Dot Game Heroes is an old school action RPG like the Zelda's of the NES and SNES days.

There's much more to the game then Platforming. Some people have made full blown fighting games using the game creator. There is very little to limit the type of game you play with LBP2

Plenty of them to go around, I would focus on Valkyria Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles II (it comes with an upgraded White Knight 1 as well). Add to that the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series and you got plenty to choose from.

And Dark Souls will be amazing.

You can play PS1 games on the system using the Disc, just not PS2. The software emulation never worked correctly.

Yeah I keep hearing about Dark Souls, could someone please, PLEASE tell me just what the fuss is all about?
I mean I know it has an absurd difficulty, but other than that, just what sets it apart from Skyrim, Dragon Age, Risen or others of its kind?

And I played VC on the psp, was probably my fav game there. White Knight I haven't heard of it, what's it about?

Also if all goes well tomorrow will be the day, provided that my bank got off it's lazy arse and finally deposited my paycheck and the store is open since it's a national hollyday here.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 02:19 AM

VK-Duelist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Ok folks as you might know already, I'm a 360 owner *dodges inconming rotten fruit* but after mulling it over I decided to get a ps3. I posted a similar thread on gamefaqs but I haven't been having replies so I decided to try it here since though smaller, the comunity here has always been helpfull...not that I'm trying to guilt trip you folks into helping me or anything

Anywho after some research I decided on the Resistance pack since it gives me more bang for my buck, however I do have some questions on how to start my game library, so first here's some info on my tastes:

-I'm an oddity regarding 360 players since I prefer single to multiplayer. I dislike competitive multiplayer even more.
Not the only bro.
-I don't particulary like FPSes (which I had already mentioned on a previous thread) unless they have some interesting story, ambience or mechanic. Examples are FEAR, Jericho, Condemned..
Singularity. The story is a huge mindfuck with the stuff you find if you look. Namely, time travel hurts your head.
-Don't like sports or racing
Neither do I.
-Love Survival horrors, has in Silent Hill survival horrors as oposed to Resident Evil or Dead Island. In fact I'm such a Silent Hill *hore that I've played all and have Dowpour on pre-order. Will also be getting SH HD collection.
You'll love Umineko.
-Love Metal gear, having finished 1-4, so I'll probably grab 4 and get the HD collection also.
Y U NO GET RISING? (When it comes out at least...)
-Love Castlevania but I already have Lords of Shadows for the 360

-Love construction games, like Sims, Sim City, Tropico, etc

-Love quirky or odd games. In fact one of the games I'll get with the console is Katamary Damacy which is real cheap.

-Love XBLA games but I have an easier time getting PSn cards than MS so I'd like some advice on that too.

-Also concerning PSN, I know it's free but there's a premium service. What does it need, what does it offer and is it worth it in your opinion?
Pay yearly, get free games, early demos, themes, avis, and the like. Worth it if you really want extra stuff.

And that's about it.. What games you folks think should go to my to buy list both on retail and psn, what should I get from the psn, and what other advices would you give a soon to be ps3 owner?
VK's recommendation:

Singularity: Nothing like kicking back by killing mutants, time traveling, and having the TMD on your wrist.

Bioshock 2: I like being a Big Daddy. I like lolis to protect. That and it warms my heart when I played naturally and got the good ending. I cried like a bitch.

MAG: A good FPS if you play with a like minded group, know things like suppressive fire, and actually willing to listen to veteran players when they tell you where and when to camp. If you don't know the playstyle and weapon set ups of your team, your screwed and in for a frustrating game. That coupled with lack of knowledge of tactics commonly used by the other teams. But hey, free DLC.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection (Releasing 2012): Made by Hideo Kojima, it's his attempts at a fast paced mech game. The voice acting and story telling is average but the mechs and characters are superb and coupled with a good control scheme, it'll make you wish he made Z.O.E.3 instead of MGS4.

Umineko No Koro Ni: A visual novel that has a excellent story and wonderful characters.

"Rokkeniima Island. October 4th, 1986. Kinzo Ushiromiya, the head of a wealthy famiy, is near death, and eight of his family members anive to discuss how his assets will be divided. Shortly after, a typhoon traps them, along with Kinzo?s servants and other relations, and people mysteriously begin to be murdered."

If you manage to finish it, you'll be crying like a bitch. Trust me, when I found out that in the "good" ending, that all of this was actually a flashback to a older Battler that survived his double suicide with his wife, I cried. Even worse in the bad ending when it turns out his little sister is trapped for all of eternity to be the playthings of the Witches and to die again and again in painful and slow ways.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 02:34 AM

Takizuchi's Flag is: USA

If your a major fan of jrpgs, then You must defiantly get Eternal Sonata. amazing combat system, beautiful setting and music. and the story is quiet interesting. Defiantly give it a look, especially if your a fan of classical music.

Some days i swear my dice are trying to get me killed.
Is it bad sportsmanship to cackle evilly during ones game?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 04:27 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Yeah I keep hearing about Dark Souls, could someone please, PLEASE tell me just what the fuss is all about?
I mean I know it has an absurd difficulty, but other than that, just what sets it apart from Skyrim, Dragon Age, Risen or others of its kind?
What sets it apart is the way the difficultly is handled in the game. Lots of games that currently come out Auto Save ever few minutes or when you walk into a new area. Dark Souls (and Demon Souls) don't. It's old school hard where you need to remember where traps are, when everything doesn't require the same amount of attacks to kill, and when you die you lose what EXP you had unless you can recover your corpse. You have to buy your levels with "souls" earned that are lost when you die.

Quote:
And I played VC on the psp, was probably my fav game there. White Knight I haven't heard of it, what's it about?
White Knight is a typical JRPG with a slight twist. You custom create a character who travels and fights with the heroes, and you use your avatar to play the online multiplayer to complete optional quests. Overall the series won't go down in history as one of the all time great RPGs but it's still a solid series worth playing as an RPG fan.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input. I'm happy to say that my PS3 is now updating as I type this

I bought the one with the Resistance 3, and got also a PSN card, Katamary Damacy, and as if to welcome me, they had slashed LBP 2 price in half which I promptly snatched.

SIngularity was also cheap so I'll get it in the future on VK's sugestion, and BRO I NO MENTION RISING cause it's still in distant future of 2012. Also memebase ftw, that and this place saves my mind during the dead hours at work.

I'll keep my eye on WK, that peeked my interest

Unless there's a problem during registration, my gamer tag will be Lastik.

Yep I thought as much, it's taken. new name will be lastik1981

Last edited by Lastik; 10-05-11 at 11:00 AM. Reason: gamer tag was taken
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 01:37 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Playstation will have a Trophy enabled redigitalised Final Fantasy X.

That's enough reason in itself.

Also, the Medal of Honour Frontline (I know you said you don't like FPS, but it's a lengthy story game with no multiplayer to split it's focus) with Trophy's, Final Fantasy IX, and tons of other single player games with which to enjoy. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and XBox, other than if you're paying for single player, something is going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Playstation will have a Trophy enabled redigitalised Final Fantasy X.

That's enough reason in itself.

Also, the Medal of Honour Frontline (I know you said you don't like FPS, but it's a lengthy story game with no multiplayer to split it's focus) with Trophy's, Final Fantasy IX, and tons of other single player games with which to enjoy. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and XBox, other than if you're paying for single player, something is going wrong.
Oh sweet emperor have mercy, not the dark aeons again! "Oh I seem to have forgotten to pick tidus celestial weapon. Let me just backtrack a bi.... *Dark bahamut swoops down*........ FML!"

FF IX is excelent, probably one of my favorites (next to 6). Got one of the soundtracks I enjoy the most with the theme of Freya, Eternal Harvest and Loss of me.

Also.. check the brand spanking new signature
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok why in blazes does my sig show when I quick reply and when I preview regular replies, but not when I actually post the proper reply?! (and on my settings I have to always show the sig)
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 12:37 AM

Well then FF IX is on PSN also for download along with 7,8 and Tactics...

If you have not played through Dead Space 1 and 2 I recommend them no matter which console you pick up..

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are both being re-released on PS3 soon

I just picked up ICO/Shadow of the Colossus which is awesome and on ALOT of top 10 lists. Even if you played the origionals(i did) they are worth it.

Castlevania SotN is awesome..there is to much to say about this game i'm just sad we did not get the dreamcast version with a playable Maria.

I will pick up the re-release of FF X only if it is the international edition, if I am going to play through it again I want the extra bosses.

The Disgaea series is great if you like tactics style games, you do not have to start with the first in the series, while it does help with background each has a stand alone story.

I think thats enough for now.

Necrons 2-1-0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode