Making my own game... a wish. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Klomster's Flag is: Sweden

Default Making my own game... a wish.

Greetings monstrous heretics and galant servant alike, i am Klomster and i have a problem.

I have come up with a really cool game idea (basically a fps/rts combo with customizeable units and huge armies) and have several issues.

Like. I can't program, make models very well or in general get anything done.

So, do you know what i should do with this idea.
Try to assemble a group of indie games devs? How and where do i do that?

Any help i could get would be nice.

What would i do?
I can do basic photoshop. And get ideas very good. I would be the main designer i guess, since i have it mostly planned out already.
And it shouldn't be to hard to do for an experienced coder (i think)

www.trollsforge.com -A nice miniature company and sculpting forum. The forum has unrivaled gs sculpting tutorials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 02:50 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Go to game developer forums and do some research there. Making a game from scratch is not an easy task to begin with. But here are some things to consider:

There are free 3d game engines out there that are of great quality, like OGRE, but require lots of programming to make them fully functional... But then again there are books that can teach you the basics and more.

There are books that teach you how to design games from the basics and how to use modeling programs like Blender or Maya.

Its just common sense to know that making a functional game from scratch is a long and arduous journey... But the experience is worth it.

So do some research and try to get a more direct idea. Also write down your ideas and organize them, that way when you present your idea to a group of volunteers it would make you look professional and more convincing, thus having more hands on deck with your project. Again, do some research and study.

Also modding already preexisting games would be useful in the field of study as well. It kind of gives you the feeling of what gaming development feels like.

And finally, try to build up a set of skills that would greatly help your development. Being mediocre at photoshop is not very useful with a project like this. Being excellent at photoshop is.

Other than that good luck!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man.

I'm not mediocre at photoshop, just middle ground, sort of.

And i sort of created an account at gamedev.com right after making this thread

But i'll actually do what you said with organizing the game. I usually don't do that and i think i'll try now and see what it brings.

www.trollsforge.com -A nice miniature company and sculpting forum. The forum has unrivaled gs sculpting tutorials.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 05:28 PM
Making Vidya Games

One last thing before you dive into this: learn C and C++.

Those are the codes to program games and learning the basics of those will save you a shit load of stress and be a great assess to your team. You may not be the lead programmer, but showing your skill in that field once again shows that you can help and not be some burden.

If you have no interest in programming, you could always go into texturing and modeling... or game art. Just contribute and you'll be fine.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Game art is somewhere i could contribute with.

Perhaps not the best art, but i could create concepts. And that is a big thing.
I'm on the job with putting the idea into a OpenOffice writer file. Making a general guide of what i'd like the game to be about.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-11, 11:07 AM
Putrifectus's Flag is: Sweden

Remember that the game would take a very very long time to finish. Making a game without a budget means that noone will work fulltime on it, as I guess you can't pay them for it, so if you want to create a good looking and advanced game it will probably take many years. It also sounds like a game that you'd want to be for multiplayer, which needs even more work.
And always remember that organization is the key. A couple of friends of mine had some really cool ideas for a game they wanted to make a few years back. Lets just say that they didn't get far at all, because they didn't really have a plan on what to start out with, and how to always know what they were going to work on next.

But good luck with everything! I know a couple of 3D-artists here in sweden, I could ask them if they are interested if you want.

-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-11, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

That'd be great.

The very best would be if you knew someone in Umeň who could teach me 3Ds max.
Then i would at least have one quality

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-11, 04:54 PM
Making Vidya Games

Here is something you should consider looking at. I don't know if they have this in Swedish but as of right now Blender is a top program for 3d modeling that is free. 3Ds max on the other hand is fucking expensive unless your a student.

Also, if you don't have photoshop or your not willing to shell out the cash, take a look at Gimp. Though not as powerful, its free and does the job quite well.

Remember, start small by yourself then work up the ladder with a team.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode