Finding a PC - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

Default Finding a PC

Good day Heresy, I've recently become interested in the PC gaming scene. So far my only experience has been with consoles and handhelds, but I hear that PCs have major advantages. So I'm looking to get a good gaming computer before I leave for college. Does anyone know of any computers that won't completely drain me of money? Even if you don't have a suggestion, feel free to share what you currently use. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 07:04 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Seeing as I suck on comps, I dont know the name of the thing I have.

But it is a fairly good gaming laptop, a Packardbell. Cost around 800€, not sure about the exact price, since I bought a lot of gaming equipment to go with it.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 07:04 PM

Good gaming PC's are almost always waaaaay overpriced for what they are, the best gaming rigs tend to be ones you build yourself however they are nowhere near as cheap as they used to be especialy if you do not already possess a copy of windows as it's rather expensive.

Cheapest way to do a decent rig is to buy a fairly decent OEM and bang in a new gfx card however this can void your warranty so should anything fail you might be in trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

The rig i'm using atm is one i built and kept fairly updated, however money constraints over the last 2 years have let it slip quite a bit. The specs are:

Intel Q6600 Currently stock
Gigabyte P-35C (I think) MB
4GB OCZ Gold RAM
ATI4850 (It came overclocked as standard with a little switch on the back that overclocks it further should you need)
a REALLY old Creative soundcard (It's old but it still beats the crap out of onboard sound)
750W PSU (Cant remember make but it has modular cabling and solid output)
Some old DVD-RW i've had ages
A pretty standard logitech multimedia keyboard, only cost like 10 and feels better than my stepdads that cost 100
Logitech G700 Gaming mouse (This thing is fantastic i never thought wireless mice could be soo responsive but this thing is crazy accurate and has lots of buttons you can map)

For monitors i have a 22" Samsung that atm needs repair, a Gateway FPD2185W 21" (using this one right now) and i also use a 32" Acer TV which i intend to replace as the resolution is now too low.

The most important question is what is your budget? and 2ndly what do you expect out of it?

Edit:
Quote:
Seeing as I suck on comps, I dont know the name of the thing I have.

But it is a fairly good gaming laptop, a Packardbell. Cost around 800, not sure about the exact price, since I bought a lot of gaming equipment to go with it.
I used to do tech support for packard bell in the UK and they used some awefull cheapass equipment back then and i doubt it's changed much since then.

Last edited by OpTi; 08-27-11 at 07:06 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 07:42 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Question 1: Do you already have a PC you can upgrade?

Question 2: How much are you willing to spend?

My Rig is rather powerful, way more than is necessary but thats just me: if i can, i will. PC's are my life not just a hobby.

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 07:44 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTi View Post

I used to do tech support for packard bell in the UK and they used some awefull cheapass equipment back then and i doubt it's changed much since then.
The gaming equipment? Thats not made by Packardbell, it was from Targus, and the mouse was from, um, no idea, but it cost 95 now that I checked, and is full of awesome.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTi View Post
The most important question is what is your budget? and 2ndly what do you expect out of it?
I'd rather not spend more than $1500, though I'd be willing to go for as much as $1750 or $2000 at the absolute most. As for expectations, I'd like to be able to play most any game I buy (from Minecraft to Skyrim), and I'd like to be able to surf the web should the need arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-11, 08:50 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave Senrag View Post
I'd rather not spend more than $1500, though I'd be willing to go for as much as $1750 or $2000 at the absolute most. As for expectations, I'd like to be able to play most any game I buy (from Minecraft to Skyrim), and I'd like to be able to surf the web should the need arise.
hm... Im pretty sure american costs are still lower then the canadian fdor computer parts, yeah?

I could easily build a stupid powerful gaming rig for about 1k canadian. building your own if your not completely dumb to it would be better then buying from Dell, or alienware, or any of those prebuilt places, since they charge you out the ass for their name.

so I already gathered you want a gaming rig, but PM me the following:

- do you want a gaming Keyboard, or will a simple anti ghost keyboard do?

- do you want an MMO mouse, or a FPS mouse, assuming you want a gaming mouse at all.

- Do you have a monitor, or do you want a new one? if you want a new one, how many inches are you comfortable being at the lowest?

- Do you want a sound card, or will on board do? (most on board are fine unless your going decked out)

Those are the easiest places to "skimp" on and could save you alot of money. give me a PM though and Ill see what I can whip up

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-11, 05:28 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

My rig cost me 1200 about 2 years ago and will still kill most games out there and would only run about 900-1000 now to build. Do you have anything? If so what are you looking to replace?

I am in the states and if you want to put together a "build your own" I would charge a nominal fee to put he main case together (depending on any extra crap) if you do not feel comfy doing it yourself .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-11, 05:50 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

well with tax i got this for 2150.56 or so Canadian. (I already have a 22" monitor and gaming mouse\keyboard or add on about 300)

Case:Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black
Power Supply: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN
SSD:OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive [AGT3-25SAT3-60G]
HD:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive
CD:Samsung SH-B123L 12X BD-ROM & DVD Burner Combo Internal SATA W/ Power DVD Software Retail Box
Lights:Logisys CLK12RD2 Dual Red Cold Cathode Kit 12IN 3.0MM[CLK12RD2]
Display:Logisys FP708BK 5.25IN Full Color Thermal / Clock Control Black
Proc:Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
MB:ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 LGA1155 ATX 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2 PCI B3
Ram:Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit x2
WC:Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid CPU Cooling System LGA775/1155/1156/1366 AM2/AM3/AM3/FM1 + 2000RPM
OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

If you want good gaming ability get the following as well.

-Razor Black Widow Ultimate gaming keyboard
-Razor Naga Mouse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode