Epic may ban those who spoil Gears 3 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-11, 03:11 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Unreal Tournament 3 had good gameplay in concept but in practice it was weak. The same thing over and over, your in an arena with enemies, kill them. No story changes the levels, no real plot developments. And I felt the multiplayer was too "common", it felt like every other shooter multiplayer there has ever been.
You're clearly mistaken. The entire UT series had the strongest possible gameplay, as it was, just as you said, purely multiplayer and purely arena based. The entire UT (Not to be mistaken with Unreal proper) franchise had no pretension of being anything other than pure competitive play. What single player they actually had was little more than a tutorial to get into the game properly. Hell, even UT3's 'Campaign' was a thinly veiled and glorified tutorial system for the multiplayer game modes and made no references to the contrary.

There was no change to the levels needed. They did exactly what was necessary, in that they allowed a player to become familiarised with their layouts to maximise tactics and efficiency for the live multiplayer. Are you suggesting a football game is weak, as the layout of the pitch doesn't change because of the home team's actions during the season? There is no difference whatsoever between this scenario and what you're saying at all. There is no being diluted or weakening of the game here, as that's exactly what the game was developed around.

As for your last point there, the reason that UT3's multiplayer 'felt like every other multiplayer shooter' was simply and purely because 'Every other multiplayer shooter' of the decade before it (with very few notable exceptions) was drawing inspiration from the phenomenal successes of the Quake and Unreal games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Gears of War is Epic's crowning achievement, they've created a franchise that will perhaps one day join other franchises that have become colossal, like Halo, Star Wars or 40k. Gears has a great storyline that really shows humanity fighting for its survival, the strength they all have together, and the protagonists own stories that pull you in even further. And its multiplayer is rare in that it actually has good new ideas, in how many shooters can you pick up your wounded foe and use him as a bullet shield as so many badass characters in fiction have done?Lord of the Night
Star Wars, I'll give you. 40k, for all the media tendrils that spin from it, is still very much a niche thing, but even for the success in the games industry, Halo, while not a bad series of games, is hardly up there as anything new or special. It's just a mix of Aliens, a better written series of games (Marathon) and a Larry Niven book that happened to be fun enough to sell.

As for the single player, I can't really comment too much, as I've played about half of the first, half of the second, and found both to just be the same 'we're all really fucked unless we band together' stuff that has permeated the Xbox generations as reliably as can be. My bet's that near the end of 3, one of the most loved minor characters will sacrifice himself for the good of the mission, someone'll be all 'WE CAN'T LET HIS DEATH BE IN VAIN', final boss, roll credits. Give me the days of silent protagonists and Unforseen Consequences any day of the week.

But as for the multiplayer, I don't know. There's just something I think that's been lost over recent years in gaming. Perhaps it's just because of the games I've always known and played, but I can't stand all this new 'Two weapons', 'Blood on screen', 'Regenerating health' pseudo-realistic bollocks that's pushed on the scene as the new standard. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that a lot of people like this, as it's clearly selling well enough, but can't for the life of me figure out why.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode