Space Marine Demo - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 01:30 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
And still, you don't address my other points of the bad melee aim, the boring execution system, the linear level design or anything else... which makes me wonder if you've actually bothered to play it, or your just doing a typical fan-boyish reaction to proper gameplay critisms.
I didnt have problems with the melee either, aslong as I didnt spam the Melee button, and turned my mouse to have my character looking at the enemy (probably used to it thanks to the RPGs ive played).

The Linear level design. 2 things about that.

1. ALOT of shooters have a very linear level design, this ones levels they have in the demo just seem more narrow with lack of clutter.

2. havnt seen the full game, only the short demos, because of this, I will refrain from judging the games "linearity" until I see the rest of the levels.

The execution system is somewhat boring, Ill admit, but needed to actually execute like, twice, for health. so its not like its being overly saturated.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 01:53 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Yes, but executing twice, in one level, where it seems you've been using shooting more then getting into combat... Spread that over a game with levels that are going to get tougher....

Okay, so i'll admit, its only a two level demo so I don't know what the full game is like.. but still. I'd have liked more choices of paths then a straight forward straight line.

Ah I'll go play through it again, see if I can change my mind with a control tweak.
post #43 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 02:15 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

yes, game is very linear. though I didn't expect it not to be. most today shooters are(bar crisis, which I didn't like for other reasons). Also mellee could be better, I'm not talking about aim, i'm talking about more moves like kicking, throwing opponents etc. Just more variety.

Though I still like the game, it got real 40k feel, and that's what I wanted. I didn't except it to be genre groundbreaking, or anything like that.
post #44 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 02:27 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
yes, game is very linear. though I didn't expect it not to be. most today shooters are(bar crisis, which I didn't like for other reasons). Also mellee could be better, I'm not talking about aim, i'm talking about more moves like kicking, throwing opponents etc. Just more variety.

Though I still like the game, it got real 40k feel, and that's what I wanted. I didn't except it to be genre groundbreaking, or anything like that.
actually there are kicks, slams, and various other moves aside from swinging the sword, you just need to hit F after so many swings of the sword to execute them. You have to remember, this is not a fighting game, this is a TPS with a melee variation. do you think that the 'space marines' are trying to be flashy with kicks and throws? no they are trying to efficiently kill their enemy.

what im looking forward to most though, is seeing the multiplayer maps. thats what will ultimately do it for me, as with most shooters.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #45 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 02:37 PM

Yea, there are other moves, but it all comes to clicking right mouse button x times then clicking stun button. I meant separate buttons/combinations for different moves, not part of the combo. And don't try to explain that with efficiently killing enemies, its a game and some things are different that in fluff(bolter not being so powerfull etc), because it makes better/more challenging game. And having more melee options can only be good thing. Also, its shame they didn't put any RPG elements like originally planned.
I still had a blast, played it 3 times so far, but I guess if game is 10 hours long as they promise, it might get little repetitive. They did make good blend of shooting and mellee, it's just neither is very good.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 08-23-11 at 02:40 PM.
post #46 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 02:47 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Okay, having replayed it, with a control tweak, I'm standing by my origional points:

The levels are too linear.
Combat is too 'hack and slashy'.
The guns don't feel powerful enough, and feel too loose with aim.
Melee combat aim is off.
Executions to regain health are boring.

Also, the jetpack, while fun to pull a 'death from above', like executions, got dull quickly.

All in, it feels like a rainy afternoon boredom killer rather then an OMG Must Play.
post #47 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

If you fail to kill stuff with the Stalker pattern, then your without doubt doing it wrong.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #48 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 03:20 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Okay, having replayed it, with a control tweak, I'm standing by my origional points:

The levels are too linear.
Combat is too 'hack and slashy'.
The guns don't feel powerful enough, and feel too loose with aim.
Melee combat aim is off.
Executions to regain health are boring.

Also, the jetpack, while fun to pull a 'death from above', like executions, got dull quickly.

All in, it feels like a rainy afternoon boredom killer rather then an OMG Must Play.
I havent played demo yet, but these things worry me alot. Course i would want play a GOOD 40K finally but these really concern me. I always thought this would be more like Gears of War (which i like alot) set on 40k with more melee action and i can forgive some things on every game.

What im interested does this game has those same great moments and storyline like Gears of War did? Of course cant be said about playing demo only. Im a 40k fanboy like many others, but this game needs to be more evaluated from neutral players point to make me buy it.

Convince me.
post #49 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 03:29 PM

Nothing about story or great moments can be judged by demo. You' ll have to wait till someone play whole game or try it yourself somehow(wink wink) before buying.

It was fun to me, but I'm biased as WH40000 fan, and tbh, I did play action games with better gameplay. I think that buying point for this game certainly won't be gameplay, but "epicness" and atmosphere, about which I still can't talk much. It does have strong 40k feel, and they did portray nice what feel being Space marine feels like, but it's not nothing not seen before as a game.

Oh, and btw, I played only first Gears and I find it shit, if it means anything to you. Though I'm not fan of console shooters like Gears, Halo etc.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 08-23-11 at 03:44 PM.
post #50 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode