Deus Ex 3 released in two weeks. Anyone else excited? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-11, 09:37 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Technically, its NOT Deus Ex 3, its a prequel where the augments are mechanical, rather then the nanites ones that we're used to.

That said, i've had my copy of the Augmented edition on order since January. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Third DX game = DX3 as far as I care...

Amazingly, the choice between two Venoms and this isn't even close. Most of the time when I want models and something else, the models tend to win. In this case, however, it's not even a decision!

I would have preordered a long time ago except it could potentially have been a big steaming pile of shite, in which case I would have got it when it dropped to a fiver.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-11, 05:41 AM

..I will give it a try
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-19-11, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Just bought the pre-release version on Steam. I was weighing up the fact that I can get it cheaper elsewhere versus the convenience of Steam and in the end convenience won.

There's a newish interview thing here:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-pla...lution20110805

If you can phase out the silly people talking then you can actually see a lot of the game being played on the screen behind them, and there's a good 15 mins of it to see.

Also, the best trailer for any computer game, ever:

Last edited by Sethis; 08-19-11 at 05:56 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-11, 10:59 AM

also the story is being done by james swallow

"The human whose name is written in this note shall die."
The best way to keep a secret? Keep it to yourself. Second best? Tell one other person - if you must. There is no third best.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-11, 11:53 AM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

I'm not really impressed with the looks of the game. The gameplay may be great, but the art direction couldn't be blander, I might just get it once the price is knocked down.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-11, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

In my mind graphics are the least important part of a PC game, so it's not a factor for me. I'd rather have good level/mechanics design, intuitive controls and compelling story. Also I can't spare the cash to buy a quad core, so it's probably going to be run on minimum settings for me anyway.

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-11, 09:41 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
I'm not really impressed with the looks of the game. The gameplay may be great, but the art direction couldn't be blander, I might just get it once the price is knocked down.
Bland? How uncultured are you? The aesthetics of the game are objectively PERFECT for the story, and this is not an opinion.
The game deals not least with the subjects of humanity and what a prominent group see as the clinical and methodical removal and homogenization thereof. Calling Human Revolution aesthetically bland is directly calling Blade Runner uninspired, and that's purely wrong with no possible recourse.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-11, 10:52 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
In my mind graphics are the least important part of a PC game
Mine too, but art direction is monumental. Art direction sets the mood and sells the story and character. In Deus Ex: HR, all I see is:

-Manly man-men with permanent frowns
-Highly reflective surfaces everywhere (polished aluminium/ burnished gold etc)
-An overabundance of an unnatural glow (bloom/HDR) effect
-Recycled/ copy pasted exteriors (blocks of several buildings)
-The soundtrack snips I've heard must have come from the bottom of the barrel of the synth-fetishist producers available
-A HUD so annoying and omnipresent (PLANT THE BOMB HERE! NO! NOT THERE! OVER HERE! INSIDE THE ORANGE SQUARE YOU RETARD!) that it borders on sadism

To summarize, although the developers have created their own assets and models for the game, and their basic parts fit into Deus Ex's universe, the disjoint between the art department to the modelers to the content creators is all too apparent, but then again, that's one of Square Enix's hallmarks.

As for Worlokked, a statement that compares any mass-commercialized video game's atmosphere to that of Blade Runner at this point is deserving of an immediate case study on said statements owner's brain.

Then punishment. 6 months of whipping at first to break down any mental barriers - then 6 months of Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack to educate the poor thing.

(Insert idiotic footnote on how I shoot down your next argument like a retard before you get to respond because I am an entitled 13 year old internet troll OH WAIT I'M NOT)

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-11, 12:34 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Clearly you've not been paying attention to the same game the rest of the gaming world has, as even the alpha leak was fantastically polished, flowed well and most of all, felt 'right' for the setting.

There are multiple nods, both indirectly and completely straight, to Blade Runner and 'Do Androids Dream' throughout, not least including the constant question of what it really means to be human.
Everything from the thematic core of the entire series right the way to specific settings and character designs draws roots from DADOES/Blade Runner, right to the duality of replicants/pro-Aug individuals sporting a more outlandish appearance compared to their anti-technology counterparts.

Regarding the soundtrack you have clearly heard and mistakenly related to Human Revolution, I have no idea what you've heard. Listening to McCann's work both in-game and out, I hear no 'synth fetishism' whatsoever. In fact, a vast swathe of the soundtrack is orchestral, with ambience and electronic music used tastefully, and more importantly, in context with whatever actions are going on at the time. Actually, that choice of words of yours is quite ironic, seeing as Vangelis' (brilliant) work on the Blade Runner soundtrack is oozing with CS80 cheesiness.

Your little pop at Square is more than slightly out of place, too, seeing as they're only attached to this project at all by virtue of having bought Eidos. The game itself (Minus some of the cinematic staff previously attached to, amongst other things, Advent Children), being entirely the child of Eidos Montreal.

The high usage of gold and chrome doesn't detract from the aesthetic at all. In fact, it only adds to it. The series, always highly reliant on aesthetic and visual cues, has always focused heavily on one colour in particular alongside an abundance of metal. The original being blue, for example. But make no mistake it's deliberate whenever it's used. Without giving too much away for those who haven't played the alpha, it is only in the more idyllic places that it is really prominent. Given the series' penchant for borrowing from Greek mythology, this is a definite nod to the ever-growing Corporate culture so prevalent in cyberpunk being a metaphorical Midas.

The HDR/Bloom is no fault of Eidos at all, either. Another of the series' hallmarks is the usage of the current Unreal Engine. Luckily, UE3 doesn't have glaring problems with bloom in the slightest, and in action feels smooth, natural, and the lighting only adds to the aesthetic further. 'All that glitters' and all that. When shit needs to get real, that shiny 'silver lining' disappears fast.

Mechanically, the item glow is no problem whatsoever. It doesn't even break immersion as, like so many other 'deus ex machinae' in the game, it can be explained away perfectly happily by the technology that makes the game. Augmented reality is big money for these corporations. Bringing things of interest to view is not jarring at all. Furthermore, it can be turned off if wanted (I won't be using the glow in the final release), meaning that everyone's happy.

So in summing up, EVERYTHING in the game is done for a reason, and it flows brilliantly. There is, to my bitter and elitist eyes, quite literally nothing that is left out of place or jarring in context, no matter how strange or awkward it may seem from the outside. Also of note is that literally everything you've seen that's older than a month is from a work in progress build of the game at some stage.
So sure, wait until it's cheap before you pick it up, but you're only delaying yourself playing the best game to have been released since Deus Ex.

Believe me, as I'm sure anyone who knows me at all can tell you, I've tried my absolute hardest to be critical of this game and remind myself that it can't be perfect. 'Unfortunately', the developers have made this a damn nigh impossible task as the game really does live up to all expectations and more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode