World of Warcraft subscriptions dropping - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default World of Warcraft subscriptions dropping

It was yesterday revealed that the number of WoW subscriptions have dropped with 300,000, which is still quite a number even though there are still eleven million players, but could this be a sign of people preparing for the Old Republic?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 11:28 AM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Perhaps, but also an equally telling sign that games like Rift are becoming more popular. Having played Rift myself, I can assure you in regards to lore it completely destroys WoW. The rifts are a nice little addition that they semi-twisted from Warhammer Online, while the versatility of classes is unique to my experiance as well.

When you see WoW start doing server merges -- then its dying completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 11:49 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

WoW subscription will never drop much cause of other games. Only WoW will kill WoW.

Everytime theres some major MMO released we see short spikes on subsriptions, but after 2 months they are like before. Old Republic will be a major release and WoW will and others will of course suffer from it but not for long.

Back in the days when i started playing MMOs 200,000 players worldwide was considered success. And it still is. WoW was major thing and has gotten streamlined way too much to consider it a real MMO anymore. I am quite worried about Old Republic on its state. Might be fun yes, but nothing that we havent seen before. Maybe its much more polished than other recent releases, but as gameplay goes... Think not
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 12:52 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

WoW has become a grindfest, every patch just reboots the grind. It is the problem with any game of that nature that goes on for a long period of time. It would not shock me at all if the majority of those that quit the game are long term players like I was. I am just curious to see if Blizzard will copy others and go F2P eventually with the game.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 03:13 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I'm pretty sure that Blizzard will go to F2P with microtransactions as soon as players numbers drop enough, I give it maybe 2 years.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 03:14 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

The time of the Old Republic is nigh! Soon World of Warcraft will crumble into the dust as its long reign comes to an end that has been waiting ever since they killed the one villain they had that could stand up to others in terms of coolness, the Lich King.

Lord of the Night

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 03:44 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Honestly I don't see Old Republic being the nail in the coffin for WoW. I have preordered and can't wait to play it but I doubt it will hugely impact WoW, it won't pull enough of the mom and pa players that WoW has.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 04:29 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
The time of the Old Republic is nigh! Soon World of Warcraft will crumble into the dust as its long reign comes to an end that has been waiting ever since they killed the one villain they had that could stand up to others in terms of coolness, the Lich King.

Lord of the Night
Good sales speech. Numbers will drop for few months for sure, but they will get back up close to previous numbers.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, it's a slim hope that WoW will die. For now, though, let it be the haven of idiots, so that the intelligent people can go to something else and not get harassed.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-11, 05:06 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Honestly I don't see Old Republic being the nail in the coffin for WoW. I have preordered and can't wait to play it but I doubt it will hugely impact WoW, it won't pull enough of the mom and pa players that WoW has.
i think it will have more pull on the "older" generation who love Starwars, plus the fact that it will be rated Teen in which it will more then likely have no more mature content then WoW, should be fine for the said "mom and pa" players.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode