Blizzard’s Secret Titan Project Labeled a ‘New Casual MMO’ - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
TheSpore's Avatar
TheSpore's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 2,479
Reputation: 1


I might hunt for a demo of eve later on. I appreciate both you opinions and I know Ive offered my opinion plenty of times on movies and games alike. Its just today's gaming market is begininning to get like holly wood an army of sequals, prequals, and remakes.. Nothing new and original and when we do see something new and fresh it turns out to be a clone of another with a different name.

One game I loved but wished was a lil longer and less focused on online gaming was the new AvP game. It had variety and a combat system unlike any FPS Ive played and well it was fun, also ( i know of the same franchise) I wish they would take the GTA style game and place in the universe of Predator, that would be fun wher you can run around a whole city choosing your prey and doing lil side quests and aslo playing out a good story. I know they made Concrete Jungle which I felt was a good story and tied really well in the franchise but it turned out be a sub-par game that had much potential

TheSpore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
KhainiteAssassin's Avatar
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,085
Reputation: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
I might hunt for a demo of eve later on. I appreciate both you opinions and I know Ive offered my opinion plenty of times on movies and games alike. Its just today's gaming market is begininning to get like holly wood an army of sequals, prequals, and remakes.. Nothing new and original and when we do see something new and fresh it turns out to be a clone of another with a different name.

One game I loved but wished was a lil longer and less focused on online gaming was the new AvP game. It had variety and a combat system unlike any FPS Ive played and well it was fun, also ( i know of the same franchise) I wish they would take the GTA style game and place in the universe of Predator, that would be fun wher you can run around a whole city choosing your prey and doing lil side quests and aslo playing out a good story. I know they made Concrete Jungle which I felt was a good story and tied really well in the franchise but it turned out be a sub-par game that had much potential
well you should either give SWTOR a try when it comes out, or. wait for some of us to do a full review on the game.

I will more then likely write a full review on my thoughts of the game after, probably, a month or two of playing it. I played WoW for 5 years, so ill know if its a clone or not.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.


the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
KhainiteAssassin is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
TheSpore's Avatar
TheSpore's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 2,479
Reputation: 1


have any of you tried Rift my wife seems to like that one...

TheSpore is offline  
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
KhainiteAssassin's Avatar
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,085
Reputation: 1


yes, the gameplay up to endgame in rift was cool, but when i got to the end, i got bored.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.


the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
KhainiteAssassin is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Wusword77's Avatar
Wusword77's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,624
Reputation: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
The fact they are doing choice based conversations and actual story in SWTOR, of which can easily be seen in multiple ways not all by the same toon, gives the game, storywise, a very unique feel.

I can say for certain that it wont be a massive grind like WoW is, as the quests are not going to be 'kill x for reward' its going to be in part what you do, and your actions you take upon the quest that will be, and is the innovation.
If you think SWTOR will be vastly different from WoW's model you're sadly mistaken. WoW has a story line for each expansion as well, though it lacks the option of choice like SWTOR, and it means NOTHING in the end game.

The end game of almost every MMO is raid based, designed to gear up your characters to improve their stats. Once you complete the basic story of the MMO or it's expansion the only thing you have left is PVP or gearing up your character (beyond starting over on an alt). SWTOR will not change this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
So in short games have gotten shorter, easier, and less imaginitive
Games getting shorter can't be argued, but games have taken on a different type of difficultly. The days of Nintendo Hard are gone, but most of those were only hard because they had annoying design aspects, not being really hard.

As for games being less imaginative, one could also make the same argument about any form of media. Music, games, movies, books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
Point Im making is that outside of the rare ship pvp battle, Eve is autoplay, and it takes a few MONTHS to get competent?

now while I believe wow took to the "casual" side way too much with the later expansions, it was not months before you were competent with a character in any game. in WoW, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, any normal MMO, learned the game in a fun way gaining abilities as you leveled up.
It took people MONTHS to level up in EQ to max level and functioning at that level was different then earlier levels. In WoW the leveling process is done mostly as a single player experience, so most of the max level players have 0 experience how to function in a group.

Quote:
the Major issue WoW has is the lack of story making it a boring grind, Eve you can literally leave on all night to aquire resources, or with the right system, you can easily make it play itsself, even in battles, there was little required interaction with the game.
WoW has a story, but because your character isn't a hero (think Thrall, Morgraine, Fording, King Wrynn, ect.) they don't make a massive difference to the overall story of the game/expansions. The majority of zones have their own minor storylines as well, such as the poisoned tree at Darnassis.

Quote:
the fault in WoW was lack of story and gameplay being too redundant at the end game.
SWTOR will have the same "redundant" gameplay at the end game as WoW. If you think differently you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
But to each his own. I don't want to persuade anyone, as you I just want to give counter opinion to SWTOR, WOW and similar games. TheSpore said he is bored with games like that, and I, after everything seen, do put SWTOR in WOW clone category. You may not agree, but I do have experience in games, and I do follow alot information about them, so I think my opinion is as valid as yours.
I agree with you here. SWTOR will be a similar type of MMO to WoW and EQ before it. Could it be better then WoW? Maybe, but I don't think it'll be much different.
Wusword77 is offline  
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 08:02 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE
 
scscofield's Avatar
scscofield's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finger Lakes Region of NY
Posts: 5,910
Reputation: 50


SWTOR will have the same grind aspects after you have played it for a time. There is a lot of different aspects of it but in the long run anyone that plays a lot will become jaded with the system. It is still a finite system of choices, they are just offering more choices with shiny packages. I will get the game and play it and most likely love it, but I do not expect it to be any different than any other MMO in the long run. Eventually you will hit the top, then it is either do a pile of alts or grind whatever carrots they toss to the top end people.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1




scscofield is offline  
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-11, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
KhainiteAssassin's Avatar
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,085
Reputation: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
SWTOR will have the same grind aspects after you have played it for a time. There is a lot of different aspects of it but in the long run anyone that plays a lot will become jaded with the system. It is still a finite system of choices, they are just offering more choices with shiny packages. I will get the game and play it and most likely love it, but I do not expect it to be any different than any other MMO in the long run. Eventually you will hit the top, then it is either do a pile of alts or grind whatever carrots they toss to the top end people.
yes but this is the nature of MMO RPGs as to not have the 'end game' just mean you HAVE to start over cuz the storys done. plus the shiny stories they will give us in the end game should be interesting.

WoW's 'story' was bullshit that could be ignored, SWTOR wont be ignored by most people until said thing is on farm.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.


the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
KhainiteAssassin is offline  
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 02:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Wusword77's Avatar
Wusword77's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,624
Reputation: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
WoW's 'story' was bullshit that could be ignored, SWTOR wont be ignored by most people until said thing is on farm.
If you played for 5 years you remember all the crap surrounding the Ashbringer in the initial release of WoW? The whole community was coming together to figure out how to get the Ashbringer by finding the clues that were available in game. People were trying to discover every little bit of lore surrounding the weapon, and followed any developments of the story in game. Hell the Horde and the Alliance had different story lines leading into Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, in addition to all their other quest lines.

Sure you could ignore all the story elements of the game, but that didn't make them non existent.

At the end of the day in SWTOR, the story line will mean nothing at the end game, and the reason is they can't lock people out of content because of quest choices that can not be changed after the fact. Doing something like that would actually drive people away, rather then bring them in.
Wusword77 is offline  
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 02:34 AM
Senior Member
 
KhainiteAssassin's Avatar
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,085
Reputation: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
If you played for 5 years you remember all the crap surrounding the Ashbringer in the initial release of WoW? The whole community was coming together to figure out how to get the Ashbringer by finding the clues that were available in game. People were trying to discover every little bit of lore surrounding the weapon, and followed any developments of the story in game. Hell the Horde and the Alliance had different story lines leading into Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, in addition to all their other quest lines.

Sure you could ignore all the story elements of the game, but that didn't make them non existent.

At the end of the day in SWTOR, the story line will mean nothing at the end game, and the reason is they can't lock people out of content because of quest choices that can not be changed after the fact. Doing something like that would actually drive people away, rather then bring them in.
my point was, and still is, that WoW has a few scrapes of story, and 90% of it is extremely forgettable. does anyone remember any kind of real story while leveling? no, just that they had to kill x amount of werewolves in duskwood, go on a ton of killing different animals in STV, etc. The Ashbringer 'story' and the newer, cinematics, are about the only 'story' that isnt completely 100% forgettable in that game. there was fluff that 'existed' but it was hardly relevant.

Will the 'story' we go through have an impact on the end game content? yes and no, from what ive heard. since EVERY "dungeon" and "raid" has a story of its own that we go through, i have a feeling we may see things differently if theres action options in the raids and dungeons, which could very well make for some very interesting change ups. Along with in alot of the Developer Interviews, certain choices made by the community as a whole will define the 'cannon' later on, probably meaning in future patches and Expansions.

Do i expect the ENDGAME to be much different from WoW? I expect there to be variations but it being similar to WoW, and EQ, and every MMO in terms of the pve content for endgame being raids, pvp being all levels but with the WAR team working on the game, you never know what they might come up with (home planet pvp raids anyone?) for PVP.

BUT the biggest issue with WOW was the forgettable storyline that made replaying and going through a different group of quests, no real different to the first time through. With quests, options, the light and dark actions, we will see a massive variation for leveling, and because of that, it should assure those who make "alts" to be able to enjoy an almost completely new story, by making different choices then the first time through. this gives SWTOR a major advantage in that sense.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.


the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
KhainiteAssassin is offline  
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 04:54 PM
Making Vidya Games
 
ThatOtherGuy's Avatar
ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,025
Reputation: 11


If Blizzard is going to be somewhat smart about this, then hopefully this game won't be a grind fest.

ThatOtherGuy is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome