The 6 most Ominous trends in video games - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Default The 6 most Ominous trends in video games

Link: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...n-video-games/

Well what do you guys think? Personally I think that the idea of the Infinite Payment model is what many companies will approach. I'm not a fan of the idea, though I don't mind paying for additional DLC.

As for the industry being on the verge of creative bankruptcy, we've known that for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 07:12 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

I hate saying it but I have to agree with just about all of it.

Its all about the sequals and games are becoming less like games.

The online gaming thing is trully killing it for me though. Hey I loved MW2 but I fuckin hated it online. Why does everything have to be an online game now anyway whatever happened to flippin playing single player. Hell you can''t even play DOW2 single player without being on the damn internet.

These are the reasons why Ive started to just focus on 40k

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 07:30 PM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Read the article a couple of days ago, I agree with most of it sadly.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 08:40 PM

I agree with most of these complaints, but the problem's been there for much longer than this guy thinks. I can remember back in the 90's when everyone wanted to be Doom, now it's just more people, and everybody wants to be COD. Nothing surprising.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 08:51 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

trend sare trends nothing more.
Red its the new black. whatever

I am seeing a lack of creativty I will not lie about that, but uts really the online gaming that is killing the business. I recall a time when the PSN network had huge mess up with some type of update that basically rendered all the older gen. non-slim PS3s useless. I had just bouaght a brand new game to find oh I can't play the game because I have to flipping have net access to just so I can gather crappy trophies. really who cares about those stupid things anyway and why do I need to be on the network to play a game single player wise.
As I said earlier I remeber taking my laptop into work one day ( had a 12 hour watch sitting at a desk on the weekend ) and tried to play DOW 2 and because I couldn't log into steam I couldn't play it. Don't even get me started on the issue withh MMO games because well thats a rant I have that will never end.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 09:28 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

its the whole 'we want money' bullshit that these companies fuck over their normal consumers in order to try and force people into buying their shit.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 10:31 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Seems like an overly long way of pointing out very obvious points, several of which have been around for a long time.

The mobile gaming stuff is quite an interesting point, and i agree completely with the ridiculous PC gaming security slope.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
I agree with most of these complaints, but the problem's been there for much longer than this guy thinks. I can remember back in the 90's when everyone wanted to be Doom, now it's just more people, and everybody wants to be COD. Nothing surprising.
I remember that fad, but it's a bit different now then it was then. Everyone wanted to be Doom and we got 1 or 2 FPS games a year but they weren't the HUGE titles of the year. Now we have 15 big market titles this year alone that are all FPS (The 9 on the site plus Crysis 2, Brink, Duke Nukem, Killzone 3, Fear 3, and Bulletstorm). That's more then 1 per month.

Now it's just getting crazy with the amount of bullshit being pumped out. I remember being lucky to see 2 games release a month with maybe 4 a month per holiday season per system (of which there was 2 consoles and 2 handhelds). Now we see about 4-8 games per week between 6 different platforms (3 and 3).

I miss the good old days
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 01:18 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

It's not as if we've always had to dig for the gems... wait, yes it is. There's always been crap, there's just more of it nowadays. Regrettably, even the amount of good games out there has decreased. It's not completely hopeless.

The amount of online security they're instituting is ridiculous, most of it's just disguised as ways to make you buy more and more crap.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 06:23 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

i"ve ceased to care about the new gaming scene. Everything is nothing but regurgitated shit of the prior game. Sure there are a few games that I am interested in getting, but compared to the rest of the market, my choices are almost nothing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode