The 6 most Ominous trends in video games - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
As to your second point:

If you're measuring "casual retardism" as games being made easier to be more accessible for a wider player base that did not start with the Wii. That has been happening since the days of the Super Nintendo. Super Mario World is WAY easier then Super Mario Bros. due to the save feature. FPS games replacing health packs with auto regen and games having different difficultly setting all happened before the Wii came out. So did Auto save, and unlimited continues.

The only thing the Wii did was remind people that they could play video games as a group as opposed to an individual. As a result we got a large amount of party games on the system. Games were already easy by this point.

Your "corrections" look to be nothing more then opinions that don't actually argue against the points I was trying to make.
Not to mention that there are games that can satisfy both the casual and hardcore. Take a look at Super Smash Bros. Brawl, for example. Tourney game and party game all in one.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of CoD by any means, however the top selling franchise must be doing something right.
This isn't as much of a given as you seem to believe. It's top-selling because it harps on a few qualities that most people like, regardless of its actual quality.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
This isn't as much of a given as you seem to believe. It's top-selling because it harps on a few qualities that most people like, regardless of its actual quality.
Given that the prices of the games are the same at launch ($60US) people have to believe they are getting more out of one game as opposed to another. If the few qualities that CoD harps on is what people feel gives them the highest quality product then Activision is doing things correctly.

It's the reason why Activision is able to get away with things like their Call of Duty elite bullshit.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 07:40 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Oh, and for all "BF" you're suggesting as being a better Team Based Gameplay, I can tell you're not talking about Battlefield2, Vietnam, BC2, or BC2:Vietnam. Just because there's a semblance of orders and bullet physics, that does not mean that it's squad gameplay. It's an arcade game that takes itself more seriously than CoD.
Have you played BC2 outside of on the failbox? as the only place its 'arcade' like is on the fail box. on the PC, I see a MASSIVE amount of team gameplay going on in BC2 multiplayer, Spotting, Medpacks, Ammo packs, revives, tracking balls. unlike CoD you cant just run around diving every time you get shot to regen your health in a couple of seconds, you actually need to work as a team

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 02:59 PM

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

I don't think that the whole "Creative bankruptcy" problem is really that bad.

I mean, I have games like Heavy Rain, MGO, Disgaea 3, Bioshock, Assassins Creed and the like in my current collection, and I know that there are plenty of other games out there that aren't COD out there waiting for me to bother buying them.

If people really want different games that much, then there are plenty of them from the last generation: Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Silent Hill 2, Manhunt, Killer 7 and Resident Evil Outbreak to name a few.

Sure, there are less creative games out there now, but the market is completely different to what it was like for the last generation. There is no completely dominating console (PS2) and a new market has been opened by the Wii that didn't exist before. This has thrown the current market into disarray and developers have to play it safe unless they want to drown under the sea of change.

The idea of paying for virtual games is something that worries me though.

Not everyone is a hardcore gamer who knows how to download games or owns a credit card. People just don't trust technology that much. These are the same people that the Wii found a new market with. People who don't normally play games, like the elderly and kids who would be more at home outside. These people won't pay for a download of Modern Warfare 5. Even hardcore gamers would be pressed to buy everything this way.

I know that I certainly refuse to pay for games in this way. I want my disc that I can sell when my console eventually breaks. Because, let's face it, this generations HD-supporting consoles are as delicate as a flower. I don't want my downloads to go with them or be banned from playing my games due to some EA employee that doesn't like me. But most of all, I want that disc because I can control my investment into it. I don't want the safety of my goods to in the hands of a heartless corporate giant.

I trust the safety of my investment, my money, to myself and myself alone. I do not want to have to rely on external factors that have failed in the past.

post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 03:42 PM

I actually wrote a blog post on Gamespot about just this problem. While there are uncreative aspects of the market now, it's just one of those up and down things. FPS's were all alike for awhile in the 90's when they were copying Doom, and there's been plenty of other copy-cat frenzies, we're just in a particularly big one right now. It'll pass.

post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon View Post
I don't think that the whole "Creative bankruptcy" problem is really that bad.

I mean, I have games like Heavy Rain, MGO, Disgaea 3, Bioshock, Assassins Creed and the like in my current collection, and I know that there are plenty of other games out there that aren't COD out there waiting for me to bother buying them.
The Creative Bankruptcy isn't that every game is a CoD clone. It's the lack of new IP's in the marketplace. As an example the first picture in the article I linked featured 9 games (all FPS), 6 of which were sequels, one based on an existing IP(Dust 514 based off Eve Online), and 2 new IP's. This is due to publishers (not developers) wanting to minimize their risk and capitalize on an existing fan base for a game. Now when you combine this with the fact that publishers have this idea that FPS games are the best medium for many new IP's, because they make a short story and a few multiplayer maps, you have the Creative Bankruptcy.

Quote:
If people really want different games that much, then there are plenty of them from the last generation: Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Silent Hill 2, Manhunt, Killer 7 and Resident Evil Outbreak to name a few.
This doesn't solve the Creative Bankruptcy problem though, in fact it's evidence of it. If you have to go back to previous generations of systems to get fresh IPs there is an issue. While I think older generations of systems have many great games (I've been playing games for almost 25 years, across every major platform) I've played them already.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-11, 05:30 PM

koyukichan's Flag is: USA

Adding in my bit. Sorry if this dissolves into a bit of a rant.
I'm not a fan of downloadable games. If I buy something I want to be able to hold it in my hands. Another benefit of the physical purchase, the instruction book. That is my favorite part about cracking open the case.

I really don't like DLC. Every time I see a new one come out I cant help but think that it was an idea intentionally left out of the game so that more money could be made later on. I've played a few downloaded extra bits here and there, but each one seemed like it should have been part of the game in the first place.

Most games these days are far too short for the amount you have to pay. I am very picky when it comes to purchasing games due to a tight budget. Hence I have a gamefly account. Having red the previews of the latest red faction game I decided to rent it. I was looking forward to a epic series of battles and at least a solid 10+ hour story. I beat the story in 6 hours and 55 minutes. A 50 dollar price tag for almost 7 hours of gameplay? What happened? I refused to even touch the multiplayer.

Multiplayer. STOP ADDING MULTIPLAYER TO EVERYTHING. STOP IT. It seems that the vast majority of non-rpgs have a deathmatch tacked on. And said games are often very short. It seems like more focus is being put on multi and less on story. For example Dead space 2. For those who have not played it, it is a 2 disc game (for x-box anyway). In under 5 hours I reached the please insert disc 2 screen. On both discs was the option to play deathmatch. If disc 1 had the story and disc 2 had the multi that would make sense, but why have both split across both discs?

Multiplayer part 2. In the defense of multiplayer, sometimes it can be quite fun, and can even make the stress from a bad day melt away rather nicely. The left 4 dead series is good at this. However there is one small thing about multiplayer that takes away much of the fun for myself and my friends. What happened to split screen? I enjoy sitting down with my girlfriend and my firends and playing together, but it seems lately that the games that would be awesome to play together support online play only.

While I may very rarely post I assure you I am around

Last edited by koyukichan; 06-20-11 at 05:34 PM.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-11, 06:08 PM

Agreed with the multiplayer. Tacking on deathmatch just takes away more from the single-player, which is already abysmally short due to everything going to graphics.

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-11, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyukichan View Post
I really don't like DLC. Every time I see a new one come out I cant help but think that it was an idea intentionally left out of the game so that more money could be made later on. I've played a few downloaded extra bits here and there, but each one seemed like it should have been part of the game in the first place.
While I can see where people would get the idea of DLC just being ideas that were held back in order to make additional money after launch, you could also look at it as ideas that came into the development process too late to be implemented in the retail game.

Take the Firewalker DLC (and it's sequel Overlord) from Mass Effect 2. Bioware got terrible feedback on the Mako (the planetary explorer truck from ME1) and they opt'ed to take out vehicle exploration in ME2. As the release of ME2 got closer several fans announced that they wanted a vehicle, just not the Mako, so Bioware worked to get it into the game. They couldn't make add it in for the retail release of the game, it was available as free DLC 2 months after launch.

After this was put into the game players wanted more missions so Bioware went to work and created Overlord, a mission that heavily uses the Hammerhead vehicle to get around the planet. They charged a modest fee ($7.00 US) for this DLC. Both DLC's together added about 4-5 hours of game play.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-11, 12:31 AM

koyukichan's Flag is: USA

You do raise a good point, but I'm still on the fence about DLC. Extra campaign options created for the fans (the examples you listed) acceptable. Paying to get armor for your horse (oblivion) not so much.

While I may very rarely post I assure you I am around

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode