Galactic Civilizations 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Default Galactic Civilizations 2

So after a long hiatus, I decided to load up GalCiv 2 again. I was wondering if anyone else played this game, and moreover, I was wondering if anyone had a weird/awesome game like this one.

I was playing Dread Lords as the Yor Collective on a gigantic galaxy, tight clusters, abundant stars, abundant habitable planets, abundant anomalies, very fast research, against all 9 remaining major races.

I claimed most of the middle of the map in the initial colony rush. Nothing special here except that my economy remained relatively stable. My first war was against the Drath Legion, who I squished without too much trouble; they were on the left edge of the map and had 7 planets. They decided to surrender to the Torian Confederation when defeat became inevitable, but I didn't know where they were hiding by that point anyway.

So then the galaxy went its usual apeshit way and everybody declared war on each other. I just sat the whole thing out while major races started surrendering. The Terran Alliance surrendered to the Thalan Empire, who later surrendered to the Arcean Empire; frankly, I expected better of the Thalans, who were doing piss-poor until the Terrans surrendered to them. The Iconian Refuge, whose homeworld was a Class 57 planet due to discovering ancient Arnor technology twice, surrendered to the Torians. During this time, I got multiple pleas for assistance from the evil major races who were trying to fight off the good major races (who were allied, no thanks to the Altarian Republic). I sent the Drengin Empire and the Dominion of Korx money and ships and did the same for two minor races: the Dark Yor and the Snathi.

Up in the north corner, the Korx, who are directly above the Torians, end up conquering their starting colonies (i.e. territories that they actually colonized and didn't receive as part of surrenders). Here's where things start to get weird. The Dark Yor, after I repeatedly give them loadsamoney (having that Mind Control Center really helps), suddenly grow a pair. They end up conquering Earth and Mars, which were under...Arcean control at the time, I think. They started clobbering the Torians. And then there's the thing with their having the most powerful military in the galaxy, well past any of the major races. That includes my own, but that was because I only had a few, very powerful ships rather than a ton of wimpy ones.

Needless to say, they end up with a ton of colonies across Torian and Altarian space. I was wondering what to make of it as time passed, but then the Altarian leader was assassinated, allegedly by a disgruntled Yor worker, and they ended up going to war with me. I clobbered them, and they surrendered the rest of their stuff to the Torians.

I continued to sit and watch the Torians get the stuffing beat out of them by the Dark Yor when the same damn thing happens to the Torian leader, at which point the Torians go to war with me. I take this opportunity to steal their fancy Class 57 planet and end up with a huge influence sphere as a result, mainly from its being the Iconians' homeworld. Unfortunately, before I can do further damage, the Torians surrender to the Arceans. I then witness the Dark Yor and the Korx, who conquered the Torians' homeplanet, clobber the Arceans, who surrender to...the Drengin, an evil major race (the Arceans were neutral) and by that time the weakest of the major races. I swiftly make alliances with the Drengin and the Korx and win an alliance victory.

Class 57 planet aside, this game was weird for me because I've never seen a minor race become so successful. I've seen them go on conquering sprees before, but the most I've seen of it in a game was the Scottlingas' conquering of a mere 10 planets. By the end of the game, the Dark Yor had 41 planets, and I had only 4 more than that, at 45. Did I mention their military was more powerful than any of the major races?

So what I was wondering was, has anyone had a game like this? Or just an unusual game in general? Or does anyone play GalCiv 2 at all, or...?

I saved just before my alliance victory, so I can get screenshots.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 02:08 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

I have never even HEARD of this game o.o
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

It's like Civilization, but in space. And with an awesome AI.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 03:21 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Have this and all its expansions. Even first part. Must have for any fans of Masters of Orion, one of greatest game ever made.

Game is real fun cause of so awesome AI they made for this game. You see some real backstabbing in action and diplomacy really works. I suggest play this with all expansions, you have so much option how to make your game to play.

No wonder people have not heard of this game, all people drop their pants for is WoW WoW or CoD Cod. Thank god some real games still are releseased and not just wide audience streamlined popcorn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 03:33 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
Have this and all its expansions. Even first part. Must have for any fans of Masters of Orion, one of greatest game ever made.

Game is real fun cause of so awesome AI they made for this game. You see some real backstabbing in action and diplomacy really works. I suggest play this with all expansions, you have so much option how to make your game to play.

No wonder people have not heard of this game, all people drop their pants for is WoW WoW or CoD Cod. Thank god some real games still are releseased and not just wide audience streamlined popcorn.
Hey hey hey...I ALSO drop my pants for Old Republic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 08:18 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Sounds pretty intresting, I'll have to see if I can aqquire it somehow.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

The game is loads of fun. I'm in the middle of playing an evil Terran game so I can ally up with the Drengin, the Yor, and the Korx and clobber the good-aligned races. Most of the time, the Drengin don't do that well, but I've had a game in which they grew really, really powerful and damn near clobbered everybody.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 08:53 PM

This game is simply amazing. The gambits that the AI can sometimes pull off are really devious. It also gives you a lot of options to do what you want with your Galactic Empire. I always seem to end up as the smallest empire with the best technology though. :/

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode