Star Wars the Old Republic - Page 54 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #531 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkaellon View Post
@doel

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
You know, I played the Sith Warrior to level 11, possibly 12, and it was bloody awesome.

Then I thought that I would try the Republic Trooper... HOLY SH*T! That was a fuckload of fun.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 12:54 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Yeah I had a load of fun with both the Inquisitor and Agent classes. Both were fun to play as in their own ways but they really, really shined in their storylines. I liked the Inquisitor's story a little more but that was probably because I had taken him beyond just getting off the Origin World and got him to an interest moment on Dromund Kaas that has me wanting more. And some of the Lightside/Darkside choices are just great to watch. One time my Sith made a dark choice and an NPC just berated him for it to my guy responded with basically with 'I'm a Sith. I do bad things.' And some of the choices just surprise you their result. A couple times I got Lightside points for helping the Empire while other times I got Darkside points for acting against it. I have growing suspicion that while some choices will be clear cut Light/Dark others will be more grey and what you thought would net you Darkside points will instead net you Lightside points.

All I can say in the end is that the game is gonna be amazing when it comes out.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #533 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 03:43 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkaellon View Post
what level did you get too? I found the inquisitor quests flawless and almost no bugs in the game......
I got to level 8, and on what I assume was the last SI based story quest. Some cut scenes shake randomly, but I can get past that as it is a beta.

Khainite:

Quote:
did you even attempt anything but sith inquisitor? the SI quests are great but the true fun is when you realize just how different EVERY CLASS is, story and gameplay wise.
Doesn't matter, if I found the quests for a Sith Inquisitor boring and generic playing the other classes will not change my opinion. The storyline given for the SI seemed like a basic character story where you're stronger then everyone because your a PC.

Quote:
early game of any MMO, one ability generally is 'way too effecient' EVERY MMO seems to have this issue, so why are you bitching about it?
Because it's a Beta and we're supposed to bring stuff like that up.

Quote:
sub par, lesser MMOs go FTP within months due to the lack of subs they get. SWTOR will have plenty of subs and will probably take over as the most ACTIVE sub MMO spot for a long while aslong as they dont neglect content updates.
F2P has been shown to be more profitable then subscription based games unless they have a large amount of subscribers. If they want to use the subscription model, at least for me, they need to do more to wow me.

Right now I'd rather have the game as a single player title.
post #534 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 03:54 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Right now I'd rather have the game as a single player title.
This was main thing for me aswell. Last few pages are filled with how great story is and all that, but what are the REAL MMO experiences so far? I agree with them that story seems to be better than on other titles but what are peoples experiences with MMO gameplay???
post #535 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I spent quite some time with other players...?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #536 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 04:18 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
I spent quite some time with other players...?
And thats the definition of MMO game? You can say that about all others aswell. What makes this worthy of monthly subscription and what are players experiences of MMO gameplay so far? Try post more than few lines why is it so good and not only few words.
post #537 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 06:07 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I do hope this upcoming Big Beta Weekend happens soon. I really want to try the game badly, I intend to create a Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter and Trooper so I can try the basics of all three.

Lord of the Night

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #538 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 10:06 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

@doelago I liked the BH story more then the trooper, and they play identically.

@wuslord77 you assume level 8 is the last story quest? sorry, but the class based story quests last until end game, just after the first planet you have more generic quests then pure class quests. and as to 'why' trying out other classes is important, is because sometimes you may find something bland where others utterly love it, and vise versa, the OTHER CLASSES have widely different storylines in which you might like better, and might find yourself enjoying that class more then the inquisitor, your mind is shut to other possibilities obviously.

As for the "MMO experience" yes in the early game, its very single playerish. I got to see the quests grouped, and I ran the first flash point (dungeon) black talon a few times, saw the different paths in it, and saw the amazing storyline behind it, it doesnt feel like a single player game once you experience, first hand, group running in the instances. the game wont be HEAVILY FORCED grouping, as the clear winner for MMOs currently is more of being able to group but being able to play solo to end game aswell. (thanks blizzard and making WoW casual friendly).

Also: FTP = PTW though it may be more profitable, its also not a very popular set up. In the big picture, PTW setups make more money per paying person, but sub base makes more people satisfied, generally keeps more people actually playing, and keeps the game populated. subscription based is hands down better for the community, and I think bioware knows this.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #539 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 12:08 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
@wuslord77 you assume level 8 is the last story quest? sorry, but the class based story quests last until end game, just after the first planet you have more generic quests then pure class quests. and as to 'why' trying out other classes is important, is because sometimes you may find something bland where others utterly love it, and vise versa, the OTHER CLASSES have widely different storylines in which you might like better, and might find yourself enjoying that class more then the inquisitor, your mind is shut to other possibilities obviously.
You misunderstand, I was talking about the initial batch of quests before you take a specialization in your newbie area. My comment about playing the other classes was talking about how my opinion about the storyline for the SI class would remain unchanged.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I personally like the way WoW handled the storyline for PCs. Your character was above average, but they weren't the equal of an actual hero. I don't get the same feeling from TOR, it's more like your going to be a high powered hero who will be stronger then almost everyone else you could come across.
post #540 of 705 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 04:34 AM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Actually I find that they've done the Sith Inquisitor's storyline quite well, at least what I experienced so far. Largely it seems that their storyline revolves around rising from the lowest levels of society within the Sith Empire into something greater. What that thing is seems to be up to your choices and actions. In contrast playing as an Agent I felt that I was largely a playing piece on a galactic game board, controlled by powerful leaders in the Empire. In other words the typical spy.

And don't forget there isn't just your story to explore but your companions have their own stories as well.

As to the MMO components I found them largely enjoyable. Didn't try PvP but I did play the first Imperial Flashpoint. Far more unforgiving than the early instances of WoW but far more enjoyable. The story-based elements make it them far more than most of their WoW counterparts. The Phasing system they've incorporated into it to cut down on overcrowding is a great boon in high crowded planets. Though getting groups and moving into the same phase is a bit of a pain at times but they've got an other transfer thing that works most of the time. Hopefully it will be running smoother after the launch.

It can be said that Bioware has taken a lot from WoW but then again WoW has become the blueprint of how to properly do an MMORPG. And frankly I think that TOR could dethrone WoW from its number one spot if what I experienced in the Beta is any indication. Don't get me wrong, I love WoW. I've had many, many fun hours playing but I find that I as a player am somewhat disconnected from the story. It often feels like that while I'm there and doing things I'm not really participating in the overall story. In TOR I'm experiencing my story within a much larger universe. Especially with all the fully voiced chat interactions. The loading pause may be annoying and a little disconnecting but I really feel that all the NPCs are real characters with their own stories rather than just quest-dispensing statues. In WoW its more like the story is of the world around you while in TOR its your story and the story of the galaxy around you. Wusword77, you said that it feels like your a high powered character in TOR but that's what you are or at least become in WoW, that's what you are in about every MMORPG. That is the really the core of RPGs period, going from ordinary individuals to extraordinary heroes, second only to the most powerful of beings in those universes. In WoW there are plenty of late/end game instances where you and other players team up to take down incredibly powerful beings from the leaders of the opposing Faction to the Lords of the Burning Legion to the primal embodiments of the elements to terrible ancient Gods. I've found that isn't quite the case with the storylines in TOR. Even after the Inquisitor becomes an apprentice and leaves Korriban there are plenty of times where you are reminded of the fact that you are a lowly apprentice not a powerful Darth and that it will be some time before you are like that.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode