Age of Conan going free2play - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-11, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Default Age of Conan going free2play

Quote:
‘Age of Conan’ soon available in a savage, sexy and brutal UNRATED version featuring a hybrid business model

Durham, USA – May 25th, 2011 – Funcom is excited to announce that the award-winning and critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online game ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’ will receive a digital re-launch this summer under the new name ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’. As well as reaffirming its position as the sexiest and most savage MMO in the world, ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’ will also feature a hybrid business model allowing anyone to freely roam the vast lands of Hyboria either as free players or premium subscribers with access to extra content.

“With over 1.4 million copies sold, glowing reviews for both the core game as well as the expansion, and a healthy player base ever since launch in 2008, there is no doubt that ‘Age of Conan’ has been a true success story for Funcom,” says SVP of Sales & Marketing Morten Larssen. “Now we turn to another chapter in this story as we thrust ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’ into the world of free-to-play games, a gaming space that is becoming rapidly more popular and profitable across the board.”

The new business model will give players the opportunity to choose whether they want to play for free or become premium subscribers, and Funcom is also introducing an in-game store to the game where both free players and premium subscribers can purchase exclusive content such as weaponry and mounts. For a full overview of what differs from the free and premium offerings, please view the Frequently Asked Questions now available on ‘Age of Conan’ community website.

‘Age of Conan’ has always been a Mature gaming experience, but going Unrated gives the development team freedom to stay even more true to the original works of Conan author Robert E. Howard, and use even more of the barbaric, brutal and sexy setting that is Howard's Hyboria. Funcom is already in the process of developing new locations, monsters, equipment and storylines for ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’. This includes the movie tie-in adventure pack announced yesterday, that will introduce content and characters from the upcoming ‘Conan the Barbarian’ movie.

“Everyone on the team is excited about opening up our world to an even larger audience,” says Creative Director and Executive Producer Craig Morrison. “The online world of Hyboria is constantly expanding as we continue to introduce new gameplay features and new content, and we truly believe that ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’ will offer something truly new and unique to both new players and to those have already experienced the brutal online world of Conan the Barbarian.”

Please refer to the "Free-to-play FAQ" and the "Free and Premium Content Overview" for more information and details.
Sounds like a great opportunity to give a game that reportedly has come a long, long way since it's initial release a second try. There are 4 character classes that can be played for free, but if you've been a subscriber in the past you get access to any other classes you may already have. So props to them for not shutting out the "veterans".

Server merges already happened, which is fantastic for those who want to play in a vibrant server with more people (who doesn't?)

It is worthy of note that since the launch of AoC the game has had massive content changes (7 raids for example) while also having the engine back-engineered with the technology from Dreamworld 2.0, which is the one used in the upcoming "The Secret World".

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-11, 03:00 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

That free to play mod looks shit. Too many constraints. I don't think I ll try it again, don't want to put much money in it. Also, as old user, you don't have any benefit. In some free2play games, you have less constraints if you paid at least one month.

When I played game (year after release or so), it was good, leveling was fun, but in the end, i left it cause I can't play WoW-like games for long after playing EvE. One thing I didn't like was small number of regions, and that everything was instanced. It kinda kills immersion.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-11, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
Also, as old user, you don't have any benefit.
Yes you do. If you've been a subscriber in the past you can play any character class as long as you had that character already. That's a huge benefit right there. You also get a free server transfer for all your characters this month.

And the constraints are minimal. Less leveling dungeons means nothing, I leveled to 80 in 3 weeks and only did one. Plus, they just added another questing zone. If PvP is your thing you pretty much have the full version, as you can get all 10 ranks of PvP gear and play in all the PvP games.

Arguably the only part that sucks a bit on the free plan is no alternate advancement and less raids, but AA doesn't start ticking until lvl 80 anyway, and you still get the whole first tier of raids so that at the very least gives you 3-4 months free gaming until you have to buy tickets or pay for premium, if PvE raiding is your thing.

This is one of the least restrictive F2P models we've ever seen, even less than D&D:O and LoTRO.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 06:53 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Ah age of conan....the only game where you can try to get the Clap from an Npc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 07:08 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkaellon View Post
Ah age of conan....the only game where you can try to get the Clap from an Npc.
I succeeded with both a male and female.... it was sad

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 08:52 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
I succeeded with both a male and female.... it was sad

......Didn't they remove the sex function.........if not.......that would be why Rift has no people running around pant less.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 02:14 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I already have 2 80th level character, so I would have to pay that new stuff, like AA. I m not in mood for rerolling, quest are great, but everytime same, cause there are so few zones.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
I already have 2 80th level character, so I would have to pay that new stuff, like AA. I m not in mood for rerolling, quest are great, but everytime same, cause there are so few zones.
There are new zones and content coming soon though, to tie in with the new movie. Just so you know.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

Just a small update: After I took the leap now and resubbed, I'm awestruck at all the new content and the stability and performance of the client... If these things were the reasons someone unsubbed, they need to get their asses back to Hyboria! I'm going to keep my sub and not go F2P, because it's clearly worth it. Just the new 6 man content alone would be enough endgame for a healthy MMO, but then there are 4 tiers of Raiding to do as well AND a humongous amount of solo content..... Just awestruck.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode