The Secret World, and why you should care (WARNING: MMO) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-11, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Default The Secret World, and why you should care (WARNING: MMO)

As indicated in the title, this is an MMO and if you don't like them that's fine but we don't need to hear it.

Anyway, one misty morning in 1999 (13 years ago) some devious minds in Norway had this idea of a fully freeform MMO set in an alternate reality. This steadily got concept work done simultaneously with other titles like Anarchy Online and The Longest Journey, then started production in 2006.

This plot is so rich and diverse I could not hope to condense it down to a sentence, but I'll try:

A game where you play as the member of a secret society in a world where all the conspiracy theories and urban legends are true.

The game director, Ragnar Tørnquist (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall) recently said this:

Quote:
our goal is to be interesting. Different, ambitious, creative - yes - but most importantly, we want to make an interesting game. A game that engages - mechanically, emotionally, spiritually - and a game that doesn't underestimate its audience. PC and MMO players are skilled, experienced, smart and creative, and a huge portion of them are actual adults. Not enough games recognise these facts. I hope ours does.
"Fuck yeah!!!" I said. Most games these days assume we're all drooling retards what with the hand-holding and simplicity of MMO's, and the marketing-to-kids in shooters. Why is this different?

Investigation missions, real-life missions (ARGs) and an intelligent plot created by the same man who gave us one of THE best stories delivered in any game, ever, The Longest Journey.

The Secret World will be fully voice acted and is full of Cthulhu-esque coolness..

The four clips below show the skill system, an introductory investigation mission, the backdrop clip of my favorite faction (Illuminati) and finally, the Trailer.

To miss out on this game is to miss out on change!

Skill System (This is the Second best part)

Investigation Missions (The Best part, starts at about 2:20)

Illuminati Snippet (My faction )

"We have stocks in hell - and compromising photos of angels..."

Trailer

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 05-12-11 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:51 AM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

Since FunCom is making it, it'll have tons of promise and then be released 12 months sooner than it should and then die a horrible, horrible death. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Age of Conan).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:54 AM
IRONBORN

Tyrannus's Flag is: England

Hmmm...I dunno.

I am still more hyped up about the Old Republic. But I suppose this looks alright.

From iron, cometh strength. From strength, cometh will. From will, cometh faith. From faith, cometh honour. From honour, cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany, and may it forever be so.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:58 AM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannus View Post
Hmmm...I dunno.

I am still more hyped up about the Old Republic. But I suppose this looks alright.
Played the BETA for SW:TOR and it's nothing outstandingly different if you've played any other MMO in the last 5-6 years. Sure, the voice acting is top notch, but other than that, it's been a Been there, Done that" kinda experience for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribe1974 View Post
Since FunCom is making it, it'll have tons of promise and then be released 12 months sooner than it should and then die a horrible, horrible death. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Age of Conan).
Well, Age of Conan was an atypical FunCom release as it was directed by the most incompetent game director ever known to man, Gaute Godager. He was fired two months or so after release.

Also, although this is something we can never get confirmed, Eidos were the ones to demand rushing the game.

What's interesting to note is that AoC is to this day one of the best MMO's on the market. If it had launched in the state it is in today, they could have saved the world from WoW

EDIT: Also, with 7 years of development already, I don't think it stands any sort of chance of being released "too early"

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 05-13-11 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:15 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I have played AOC for few months last summer. I quite enjoyed it, combat and visuals were top notch, it had realistic looking equipment, not that WoW-like giant shoulders fancy shit. But after playing EvE since 2007 i couldn't get used to play WoW-like games with xp, instances, loot etc. But for that kind of game, it was really good. Shame it didn't try to be more than that and implement some new things besides combat.

I ll check this Secret world when it comes out, although I'm not big fan of setting.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 05-13-11 at 01:38 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

EVE is really a beast. I love it. (By the way: there are no levels in The Secret World, just FYI)

EDIT: New article about factions, posted today:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...l-Rundown.html

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 05-13-11 at 01:38 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 03:21 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Like I said in the other thread, while it is an interesting concept, Funcom are basically adept at taking a good idea and turning it into a shit sandwich. They'll find a way to fuck this up spectacularly.

For weird supernatural shit in an MMO, I'll just hold out for the WoD game, as at least CCP have some kind of proven ability to push the boundaries.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

No offense, WoD has a tiny budget and not nearly as big staff or time in development as TSW. Anyway, way to be a typical grudged up gamer.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 10:56 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
No offense, WoD has a tiny budget and not nearly as big staff or time in development as TSW. Anyway, way to be a typical grudged up gamer.
Except for the fact that:
1) CCP are using technology that's been in development for years to be used by EVE and DUST. This cuts down the budget significantly for all three games, seeing as so much in the way of development assets are coreified to be shared between all CCP projects.
2) It's been in planning since 2006 at the very latest. The story has also been being developed (Across the WoD universe) for 20 years plus.
3) They don't need MASSES of staff, when you consider that the content teams are relatively small groups of people. The server architecture...well, if anyone knows what they're doing there it's CCP, and the writing team:
4) The content writers and designers sure as hell know the backstory better than anyone, seeing as White Wolf is owned by CCP.

I wouldn't call it being 'grudged up'. It's just that I have no faith in Funcom. They either deliver a steaming pile of shit and spend ages trying to promote it until it's finally playable as they finally have budget for it (AO), or they release something that is in theory brilliant but then either ignore it or dilute it much more than they should (AoC). The only thing it's got going for it is that it's got the Dreamfall guy involved.

The investigation system is novel, but it's going to be a short-lived novelty no matter how many expansions they add in for it. Having to leave the game to search things is an inherently bad idea. It's going to completely break immersion, and let's face it, that can't really be contested.
It's also inviting people to read spoilers constantly and even non-intentionally.

Within days, people are going to have walkthroughs for the entire game written out online, and as people google these investigations, they're going to get higher and higher on search rankings, inevitably making the entire system pointless, inane and without any of the feeling of accomplishment that the devs expect people to feel.

I don't doubt the gameplay will probably be fun in itself, but things like this, especially when a dev is so proud of and excited for a system (a la these investigations) means they're probably going to be shoehorned in and practically forced no matter how much people don't want to do them. Essentially telling players to "just fucking google it" seems like a cheap cop-out for making decent investigation missions in the game universe, in my opinion.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 05-13-11 at 10:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode