MW3 Cover art leaked? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-12-11, 11:59 PM
IRONBORN

Tyrannus's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
the games that assumate that a mear 10-20 hours of gameplay total is enough.
What's wrong with that? Some people don't have the time to spend 50 hours or more in a game, and everyone knows most games company are trying to appeal to the casual gamers aswell. It's just the way things are going I am afraid.

From iron, cometh strength. From strength, cometh will. From will, cometh faith. From faith, cometh honour. From honour, cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany, and may it forever be so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:02 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

companies are not targeting casual gamers, they are targeting idiots who will pay a premium for minimum game time.

Casual gamers would be making a game easy to save and easy to follow when only playing a couple hours on said game. bringing the length of a game down to a minimum is not 'casual gaming' its 'idiots spending too much money on too little work done'.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:07 AM
IRONBORN

Quote:
companies are not targeting casual gamers, they are targeting idiots who will pay a premium for minimum game time.

Casual gamers would be making a game easy to save and easy to follow when only playing a couple hours on said game. bringing the length of a game down to a minimum is not 'casual gaming' its 'idiots spending too much money on too little work done'.
Now that sounds like the rambling of an elitist PC player.

From iron, cometh strength. From strength, cometh will. From will, cometh faith. From faith, cometh honour. From honour, cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany, and may it forever be so.
post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:17 AM

nope, thats the truth of someone whos seen what good games with compelling storyline can offer even when only played a small portion a day. rather then a short game that can be beat with a couple button presses.

Nintendo has most casual games beat on any other system, i mean lets face it, Marios been a 'casuals' game since the NES, putting a bunch of short platform levels that though they are short, the game ahead of them can be hugely longer then otherwise expected.

a game should be a MINIMUM of 40 hours long, even for 'casual' gamers, that amount of time is more then acceptable. anything shorter and the game better not be a full price game. that means 20 days if your only playing 2 hours a day.

They make video games short to SELL their games to morons who will buy a mere 20 hours of gameplay for a full priced game, with the replay values being in the gutter.

Point is, go look at any of the nintendo games on the N64, go look at any of the bioware games. THOSE games are the legends, the fun games that never quit, even with "casual" gamers.

My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:30 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Eh, you get out of it what you will. Dynasty Warriors, arguabley the most repetitive game, ever, with none evolving gameplay. Yet I have the following titles;

DW3
3XL
4XL
4 Empires
5 XL
5 Empires

And spin off games Tactics, and Tactics 2.

I've wasted countless hours, more so than any other game in the time I've had it; yet it's barely changed since DW3; and arguably for the worse when it did change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:32 AM

DivineArchitect's Flag is: United Kingdom

nah im agreeing with Khainite on this one...i used to play WOW and they ruined that game trying to apeal to casual gamers who dont seem to care about the detail and experiance that made it what it was. for instance you used to be able to beat somone in pvp just by knowing the timing the inbetween moves and the extra 3 points on damage you did..these days its just " a moderate amount of damage" in the discription
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:34 AM
IRONBORN

Quote:
nope, thats the truth of someone whos seen what good games with compelling storyline can offer even when only played a small portion a day. rather then a short game that can be beat with a couple button presses.

Nintendo has most casual games beat on any other system, i mean lets face it, Marios been a 'casuals' game since the NES, putting a bunch of short platform levels that though they are short, the game ahead of them can be hugely longer then otherwise expected.

a game should be a MINIMUM of 40 hours long, even for 'casual' gamers, that amount of time is more then acceptable. anything shorter and the game better not be a full price game. that means 20 days if your only playing 2 hours a day.

They make video games short to SELL their games to morons who will buy a mere 20 hours of gameplay for a full priced game, with the replay values being in the gutter.

Point is, go look at any of the nintendo games on the N64, go look at any of the bioware games. THOSE games are the legends, the fun games that never quit, even with "casual" gamers.
No. I am pretty sure you're still spouting elitist BS.

I mean, a brand new game is about 39.99 and it's approximately 20 hours. So you're paying 2 an hour. Call me a moron, but if a game is enjoyable enough in my opinion, that isn't a bad deal. And at the end of the day, it's about enjoying games and not trying to squeeze as much game time out of it and I am pretty sure other "morons" think the same.

And I wouldn't say look at "any" bioware game. Especially since Dragon age 2. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but it definitely ain't legendary.

EDIT: Vaz said what I am trying to say(In a straight-to-the-point manner) which is basically you enjoy what you enjoy. And his example of Dynasty Warriors is an apt one (I started at 4 and ended at 6 with the 2 SW in between).

Last edited by Tyrannus; 05-13-11 at 12:47 AM.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:46 AM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

Yet another CoD game I won't play.

Why?

Because of the fekkers in charge of Activision. They tried screwing over the powers that be in Infinity Ward (Yes, I know they bailed), but I won't support a company that tries to gut the goose that lays the golden eggs like that.
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 12:50 AM

DA2 had a great storyline. its issues was in that bioware skimped in places and Centralized the game to a singular city, rather then spacing it out.

Also, you say i spout elitist BS? Sure biowares games have not been as good as they once were, Balders gate, for instance, or Knights of the Old Republic. BUT they are still long, amazing storylines with decent gameplay to boot. The only reason SHIT games are released is because of fools who have a thought process that 20 hours of total gameplay is good enough, its a defeatists attitude.

Casual gaming should not be based upon SHORTER gameplay, but rather the amount of time between major break points, like end of levels, or cutscenes, or any major save point. a good casual game will still pull upwards of 40 hours of gameplay.

in most 20 hour games, i have found either the gameplay was shit, or the story was good but too short leaving me wanting similar but new material. in which gives these companies the ability to make more money off of 'DLC' or 'Expansions' to bring a game from the 20 hour mark to 30-40 hours.

So instead of paying 60 dollars, your paying 60 dollars, plus around 6 to 8 dollars per 'DLC' or 40 per 'expansion' ontop of it to reach the same level of gameplay as other games give you for 60 dollars only.

they purposely make games shorter not for casual gamers but to make more money off morons.

My armies.

post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-11, 01:15 AM
IRONBORN

Quote:
DA2 had a great storyline. its issues was in that bioware skimped in places and Centralized the game to a singular city, rather then spacing it out.

Also, you say i spout elitist BS? Sure biowares games have not been as good as they once were, Balders gate, for instance, or Knights of the Old Republic. BUT they are still long, amazing storylines with decent gameplay to boot. The only reason SHIT games are released is because of fools who have a thought process that 20 hours of total gameplay is good enough, its a defeatists attitude.

Casual gaming should not be based upon SHORTER gameplay, but rather the amount of time between major break points, like end of levels, or cutscenes, or any major save point. a good casual game will still pull upwards of 40 hours of gameplay.

in most 20 hour games, i have found either the gameplay was shit, or the story was good but too short leaving me wanting similar but new material. in which gives these companies the ability to make more money off of 'DLC' or 'Expansions' to bring a game from the 20 hour mark to 30-40 hours.

So instead of paying 60 dollars, your paying 60 dollars, plus around 6 to 8 dollars per 'DLC' or 40 per 'expansion' ontop of it to reach the same level of gameplay as other games give you for 60 dollars only.

they purposely make games shorter not for casual gamers but to make more money off morons.
I seriously still don't see how game length has anything to do with the quality and enjoyment of a videogame, I really don't. Just because a game has an extra 20 hours or so doesn't make it an amazing game. I've played JRPGs before like persona 3 on the PS2 and sunk around nearly 80 hours into it but I still enjoyed Fable 2 (not so much 3) and I still don't regret spending around 40 on it.

And what expansions are you buying that costs around 40?

And defeatist attitude? Mate, these are videogames not a war or a way of life. Videogames are a hobby and a release from the stresses of modern day life, and I personally find it a bit sad if people start bitching about luxuries such as videogames. If you enjoy them, enjoy them. If you don't then find something else to pass the time or just keep replaying your "legends". Just stop bitching about "morons" ruining the industry just because they don't know better and just enjoy their games.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode