Calling all Dow2 Users, Major help needed! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Calling all Dow2 Users, Major help needed!

Okay, so today I installed Dawn of War 2: The Complete Collection, set up an account which took absolutley ages and was very confusing, only to find that when I started to play the game, I couldn't see pictures of the units. The scenery was fine, the map was fine, it's just that when I tried to click on the units, all I got was the unit highlighter thingy showing you that these were the selected units.

Any help on how to get the units showing their normal colours again, or is my laptop shit and I need to sell my Dawn of War?

Thanks, and lots of rep will be given if you can help me and it works. .

Note: I am a major newbie when it comes to Dow2, so apologies if this question is kind of stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 04:37 PM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

Well, if your scenery/map is loading propa, it may not be the graphics card.

DoW2 is steam mandatory, so I would consider verifying the game's cache. This should correct any errors/corruption in files during the patching/install process.

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Isn't varifiying where you type in the code at the bottom of the box though, or is that completley different?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 04:51 PM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

At work, so writing this from memory: If you right-click on the game in your library tab, you should get the properties option. Select that, then find Local Content and there should be a "Verify game cache" selection.

Oh hey, link for step by step-
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2037-QEUH-3335

What this does is it cross references your files with what steam has. If there is any discrepancy, it is replaced. This should fix most "file-not-found" or missing graphics errors, assuming you're graphics card meets the minimum requirements.

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 04:54 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

you can verify your cache within steam right click on game in steam go to properties local file the verify cache (ninja'd again lol)

what exactly do you see is there any unit placeholders? or is there just blank space

You made need to reinstall it if the cache doesn't work, you won't need to re-registar steam though
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 05:00 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Try lowering the graphics. That might help as a starter.

What specs does your laptop have?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 05:02 PM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

If you're going through Steam, check to make sure you've got the latest video drivers for your laptop. I've had games in which my drivers (which were only 2-3 months old) were causing textures in games to simply be missing (Borderlands for example). Once I updated them, things were fine. Please remember, I'm talking about the the video drivers from the manufacturer of whichever video chip you've got in your laptop & not the generic DirectX ones Microsoft provides.

Secondly, if it also is Steam, from the Steam Library window, right-click on the Dawn of War 2 icon (if it's singular, then just it, otherwise, if it's like mine, it'll have one for each one: DoW2, DoW2:CR, DoW2:Ret) and then "Properties", then the "Local Files" tab, then click the "Verify the Integrity of Game Cache". I've have a couple games where the initial (or re-install) install of the game bugged out and had a file or two get corrupted, but the game was still playable, until that very file(s) was called upon to be used. Then the game would crash on me. Once I did the Verify tool, it'd "Re-Aquire" the needed files and things would be fine. It's possible something like that might've happened for you.

If it's not a Steam based version (still check your laptops video driver), you can play around with the video settings. Unless you've got more of a gaming orientated laptop, you might need to dial back the video settings and see if that helps out. Is there any way you can post a screenshot of what's going on, so we can see what you're seeing?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 06:07 PM
I am Alpharius.

On a side note, I think you will want to get it working properly on your comp, or at least keep the games, cause you wont be able to sell them if you have installed them. Once you have installed a game on steam, it is associated with your account, and no one else will be able to install the same copy, or at least not with the same code.

I made the mistake of borrowing my friend my copy of Chaos Rising a couple of months before I got a computer that could play it (Yes, I buy games I ain`t able to play), and when I got this new laptop, installed the original DoW II and read the user agreement, I discovered that I wont be able to install my copy of Chaos Rising. So, my friend will have to pay me or buy a new copy of the game for me.

But anyway, shoot me a PM if you want to do some Co-op or something.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-11, 08:23 PM
I am Alpharius.

... And... It worked!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode