Gratuitous Space Battles - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Ashkore08's Flag is: South Africa

Default Gratuitous Space Battles

Straight from GSB's website:

WELCOME TO GSB!

GSB is the ultimate space strategy game from UK indie developer Positech Games. It's a strategy / management / simulation game that does away with all the base building and delays and gets straight to the meat and potatoes of science-fiction games : The big space battles fought by huge spaceships with tons of laser beams and things going 'zap!', 'ka-boom!' and 'ka-pow!'. In GSB you put your ships together from modular components, arrange them into fleets, give your ships orders of engagement and then hope they emerge victorious from battle (or at least blow to bits in aesthetically pleasing ways).

Basically, you build ships up according to class: Fighters, then frigates than cruisers. Each ship hull and class has a set amount of hardpoints and equipment slots. Hardpoints are for weapons, and equipment slots are for your integral ship components.
The components range all the way from power generators, shields, armor all the way to weapons and engines. Your ship will need power, engines, shields and weapons to be an effective warcraft, but be careful of what you put on your ship: Certain components require more power or crew than others, and some are heavier than others, adding more weight slows your ship down.

The game originally had a set battle scenario mode, where you had to play out and win a scenario before the next one was unlocked. Now with all the new expansions and DLC and whatnot, GSB now has a campaign!

Adding to this, the game is extremely moddable: People have added ships from star wars, star trek, and tons of new scenarios!

And the game mechanics are top-notch as well. Before each battle, you organize your ships into fleets, give each a specific set of orders, and then the battle plays itself out like a movie. With literally hundreds of combinations of components and orders, this game has some intense replay value. Each scenario can be replayed on normal, hard or very hard.

Including top-notch graphics, quality sound and seven different races, GSB is a game that can and will keep you busy for hours.

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

And GSB is an Indie game! Grab the demo now!

A Bear is just a man who made a choice.

Problems? Problems? There is no problem I cannot solve with this...
+++ attributed to Mad Chainsaw Johnson, Commander of the White Scars +++

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 12:09 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your making the game sound pretty good. I may have to look into having a game and seeing what its like.

My painting project logs.
Warhammer painting log.
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=82959

40k painting log.
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=82876
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 09:56 PM

Guarder22's Flag is: USA

I bought it when it was on sale on Steam and I love it. Its extremely entertaining to just weaponize your ships and see how well they fight. When I first got it I gave it an 8/10 because it was just a skirmish game. But now that there are DLCs, mods, and the addition of a campaign I give it a 10/10 and I reccomend it to everyone who enjoys explosions.

If you can't beat them, call in an airstrike.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 07:33 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

this game looks legit, i might buy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode