The PSN blackout - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

The PSN blackout

Just wondering, what do you PS3 owners think of the situation?

Also, http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163747p1.html

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 04-25-11 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-11, 07:21 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's a little irritating. I just got into online play about two weeks ago, so I can only image what people who mostly play multiplayer are going through. The outage itself isn't Sony's fault, so I'm saving my ire for the "hacktivists" who allegedly caused this, but I think Sony's response has been a little lacking. I'm not saying they're not fixing it fast enough, but a little more info on what exactly what has happened, how it's being fixed, when it's expected to be up and what can be done to prevent a repeat would be a little helpful.
I know the service is free, so I don't expect any kind of compensation, but I think people who have paid for PS+ deserve some credit or a discount on certain merchendise.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 12:04 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've just bought Dragon Age 2, Warriors: Legends of Troy, and Dynasty Warriors 7, so have no issues with getting online, as they have only minor PSN functions not integral to replayability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 04:51 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

I'm pretty upset, I've been wanting to play portal 2 with my girlfriend (she has the PC version I got the PS3 version) but I cant because Steam for PS3 cannot connect unless PSN is online.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 05:41 PM

I had to do a double take when I saw that the PSN was down after a hacker attack. All things are possible, but I can't say I expected it to happen sometime soon. Hopefully the network will be up and running fairly quickly. Sony hasn't exactly been the best at rectifying such situations, however.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 09:05 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

News just in:

Quote:
Sony has entered the seventh day of its PlayStation Network outage, and the situation has turned from bad to worse. Offering an update on the "external intrusion" that gave the Japanese electronics company cause to brings its online service for the PlayStation 3 and PSP offline, Sony has confirmed that personal information has been compromised.

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network," a Sony spokesperson confirmed on the company's official blog.

As for what that means to PSN and Qriocity users, Sony said that "an unauthorized person" has gained access to such identifying information as registrants "name, address (city, state, zip), country, e-mail address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID." Sony recently told a group of investors that the PSN currently has some 75 million registered users.

According to the publisher, it is also possible that the intruder obtained certain profile data, including "purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

Sony also confirmed speculation that credit card data may have been compromised as part of the attack. "While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," the Sony spokesperson said. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Sony is taking a three-pronged approach to addressing the situation. The first, as many gamers have noticed, has been to indefinitely bring down the PSN and Qriocity media service. Sony said that it has also "engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened." Finally, the publisher said that it is currently taking steps to "enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system."

For US PSN and Qriocity users, Sony has contracted credit-monitoring agencies Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion to provide a free "faud alert" that ensures credit agencies will take extra precautionary measures toward identity verification. The publisher notes that this fraud alert may impede the expediency of legitimate credit requests.

Sony did not provide an update for when it expects to bring the PSN back online.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6310386....es%3Btitle%3B1
Nothing short of sheer negligence in this case. I smell legal shitstorm heading Sony's way for this.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
News just in:

Nothing short of sheer negligence in this case. I smell legal shitstorm heading Sony's way for this.
How do you come up with this being negligence on Sony's part? I'm just curious as to the throught process on this.

I would think the blame for the outage and the loss of information in the attack should fall soley on Anon's door, I'm not sure how much you know about how all this works but there really is no sure defense against attacks on the internet other then to just not be connected to it. On top of that a DDos with the amount of clients we are looking at is not something that can be defended against other then just to shut down the servers until it stops.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-11, 11:29 PM
Vaz

How can you blame anonymous for this?

And yes; Worlokked is right; smells disturbingly like bolting the stable after the horse has gone.

It was only a matter of time until someone was able to do this after getting in to hack the hardware, and instead of getting geohot to help them with it, went on to persecute him. Sheer negligence, and really pissed me off, if my details are compromised, as I rarely let people have access to my real history, preferring instead to use others.

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-27-11, 12:01 AM

First the hardware encyption has nothing at all do do with cracking PSN. Second how exactly can you not blame anon since they declared war on Sony demanding the names and addresses of all the top execs, while funny enough not letting anyone know who their own leaders are.

It could just be me but when a hypocritical group of individuals(anon) declares war on another organization(sony) then that second organization starts having all kinds of problems with their networks...occam's razor says they are at fault.

Especially with them throwing around lines such as "There are things that go beyond your personal pleasure ... you may not be able to enjoy things because of our actions but it is for a greater cause." or "Take a break from online gaming for a while," and "maybe it's time you put your mind to productive use."
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-27-11, 12:20 AM
Vaz

I don't know the best about Cracking the hardware, but something somewhere inside it will relate to PSN. Don't be that naive.

Yes, because we all believe circumstance = facts. However, if you're willing to go down that route, why are you certain it's not to do with hacking the hardware, after their eagerness to retaliate after the injunctions against George Hotz? You've said one, then countered it with another.

But yeah, I'm not going to blame anyone, other than Sony for their own bull headed laziness. And yeah, until I hear some actual proof, and not just "occam's razor" (who?), I'll stick by my guns.

And yeah, trolls and whatnot they're fucking hilarious.

Here's an example - Mate of mine got shot in Afghanistan. Told the stupid fucker to not stand in front of bullets; doesn't mean I shot him, though, does it?

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode