The PSN blackout - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 09:46 PM

Ashkore08's Flag is: South Africa

Im glad i cant afford a PS3 ^^. And like everyone is saying, Having sensitive information in a server which is generally open to Thousands of connections from PSN users everyday is stupid.
I know that other groups store sensitive account information on remote servers, and they generally send you a confirmation e-mail with this in it:
"your information is stored on an encrypted server and cannot be retrieved. If you forget or lose your details, use this link to change it."---> or something along those lines.

But honestly, there is a reason PSN is free: because you get what you (dont) pay for.

A Bear is just a man who made a choice.

Problems? Problems? There is no problem I cannot solve with this...
+++ attributed to Mad Chainsaw Johnson, Commander of the White Scars +++

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 03:46 AM

sobespartan's Flag is: USA

Thats why I'll never get a PS3 (piece of shit 3 ). . XP jkjkjkjkjk I like the playstion the only reason I havn't gotten one is that there are only like 2 or 3 games I would get. and the 360 game line up is better imo but yeah. . all the years I've been on LIVE (5yrs) and it hasn't been hacked and If I remember they have all the personal info on a separate sever if I recall for stuff like this.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/730/spartank.png
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 11:02 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobespartan View Post
Thats why I'll "snip"
lets not get into a "my pc/console is better then yours" discussion because all of them have their own pros and cons for different reasons

except for the psp go, which is quite frankly a worse idea then invading the moon on a space hopper

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-11, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

OK, PS3 users! You will get a free month of PSN+, are you pleased?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 01:17 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Likewise, running a company known across the planet isn't like growing corn.

Any system can be hacked, just as any bank could be broken into, but with a company as big as Sony i'd expect their security to be top notch. Everything that has been released so far has pointed to a serious ineptitude on their part, and they don't seem to be speaking up to defend themselves.

If I was a PSN customer, i'd be seriously pissed at sony right now, and i think i'd be entirely justified.
PS3 is a free service available to anyone that owns a PS3 or PSP. You're not really a customer, more of a member. Inputing your credit card data is completly optional and they offer the ability to purchase cards from a retail store to ensure your credit card info never gets put on their servers.

While Sony could have put more protections in place I think the old saying of "You get what you pay for" applies. Any system can be hacked, it's all just a matter of time.

I never put my credit card information in to PSN so I'm not concerned at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
OK, PS3 users! You will get a free month of PSN+, are you pleased?
PSN+ doesn't do anything. It lets me download some special demos and I get some PSN games free as long as I have the service. Meh, I don't play online much anyway

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobespartan View Post
Thats why I'll never get a PS3 (piece of shit 3 ). . XP jkjkjkjkjk I like the playstion the only reason I havn't gotten one is that there are only like 2 or 3 games I would get. and the 360 game line up is better imo but yeah. . all the years I've been on LIVE (5yrs) and it hasn't been hacked and If I remember they have all the personal info on a separate sever if I recall for stuff like this.
While XBL hasn't been hacked in the same sense that PSN has, it has experienced 2 weeks worth of outages back in 2007 around christmas. It's also worth reporting that XBL accounts are hacked on an individual basis very often, and people have lost accounts and credit card information as a result.

Last edited by Wusword77; 05-02-11 at 01:29 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
While XBL hasn't been hacked in the same sense that PSN has, it has experienced 2 weeks worth of outages back in 2007 around christmas. It's also worth reporting that XBL accounts are hacked on an individual basis very often, and people have lost accounts and credit card information as a result.
Oooh, is it so? Never heard about that, and I have had my Xbox since release and followed the news about it very carefully.

And yea, if you loose your account it is fully your own fault, cause no one forced you to give away your password so that you would get Recon/Prestige 10.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 12:54 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
It's also worth reporting that XBL accounts are hacked on an individual basis
This is true

Quote:
very often
although this is an exaggeration

Quote:
and credit card information as a result.
Nope,
there has not been a single case of credit card information being taken from XBL,
the reasons?
A) XBL encrypt credit card information
B) Credit card information is held in a different place to account information

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode