the good and the bad of the dawn of war series - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-08, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
vo2

Icon the good and the bad of the dawn of war series

i just want to know what people think about this subject Note: i don"t know if this has low post quality or if its spam to me its not to you i am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-08, 10:58 AM

When you say good and bad, do you mean gameplay or the campaign mode?

Here's my opinion on gameplay:
Good: daemon princes, grey knights, and khorne berzerkers

Bad: dark crusade and soulstorm putting limits on the number of certain squads and vehicles you can have (what can a single whirlwind do against a horde of slugga boyz?)

Here's my opinion on campaign mode:
Good: winter assault, metal boxes, original dawn of war, metal boxes, and most dark crusade/soulstorm HQ missions

Bad: everything else about the dark crusade and soulstorm campaign modes

Sig made by Tau Chaotix
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-08, 01:37 PM

CallumM27's Flag is: England

In gereal terms I love the grey knights, Campaine style of jumping around the battle field and upgrades for your commander.

I hate the limits count, the AI knowing where all your stealth units are and how the enemy commander has way to many honour guard

I've not played soulstorm yet, is it any good?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-08, 01:43 PM

LJT_123's Flag is: United Kingdom

i like it all really except the in game cinematics , the voice acting is good.

Da 'Eadstompaz
Wins:3 Draws: 1 Losses: 1
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 02:12 AM

Good:bloody CC battles, and wonderfull, cinematic stories in the first two games.
Bad: the fact that i could only beat the Necron campaing in DC because they were OP.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 02:42 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo2 View Post
i just want to know what people think about this subject Note: i don"t know if this has low post quality or if its spam to me its not to you i am not sure.
Starting threads and asking questions isn't spam. If you'd just posted a thread that said "Yaaay" and said "I like Dawn of War! Yaaay!" then that would be spam.

Anywhoo, here's my two cents. Dawn of War brings some animation to 40k. That's good. As an RTS, it plays well. That's about it. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of 40k itself, and the units and squad sizes aren't even vaguely accurate to their respective codecies. The voice acting is laughably bad, too, but if you want good voice acting in a game, you're probably playing an RPG, where that sort of thing actually matters. In DoW and expansions, the wacky voices of the Chaos troops and the like are just a mild annoyance at worst.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 01:08 PM

dan1986's Flag is: England

I actually like the voices "Y iz i walkin!" and "Werez da truk!". But that probably comes from the fact that i only like playing as orks as they are fun to play as, i find the other armies get a bit boring very quickly and i just cba with them
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 02:27 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
The voice acting is laughably bad, too, but if you want good voice acting in a game, you're probably playing an RPG, where that sort of thing actually matters.
Or the quite frankly Godly Legacy of Kain series.

As for DoW, it's not a bad game, in my opinion, but if you're looking for something that sticks to the tabletop game, you'd probably be best just playing the TTG.
For an RTS, it's good, and the balance is suprisingly good considering the amount of factions you can be. Not perfect, but good. My only real problem with DoW is that an entire online game tends to hang on the first couple of minutes.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-08, 06:10 PM

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.

Well, I like it quite a bit, except for one REALLY huge thing: guardsmen voice acting! Their mockney accents make fun of my army, my nations, and ruin the whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-08, 08:27 PM

Hmm?
The voice acting was quite excellent, except maybe for some changes in the expansions.
You can't go wrong with pros like the Dobson brothers and McNeil.

The lack of story in the latter games was the only thing that really bugged me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode